Un locked mifi and 3 in France (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
having read bits and bobs regarding 3 in France we have now got down to Poitiers and so far it has proved useless. it always goes onto Bytel but quickly goes to flashing connected/ disconnected and never managed to get on the internet with it. am I being a typical old fart or is it useless?

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
When we had 2 weeks in France end of June/July my 3 mifi worked great, just connect, when finished disconnect

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I found it a bit hit and miss. Always connected to Bytel, sometimes five bars, more often two bars...

Moving the mifi around seemed to help, normally best reception was by the driver's window or even outside on a table...

Don't think it's you, I was bloomin annoyed with it a couple of times !

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
2 wks ago near limoges i had my mifi with 3 keep connecting to Bytel but no internet .never any probs in uk?

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
In France now my 3 mifi working well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Lugnutt

Assuming you have done all the right things have you tried the unit away from your home near a major shopping area for instance. I would certainly try that before anything else as it may be okay you just don't get a signal at home. I have had a 3 Dongle for years and now have a MIFI. The dongle has always struggled at home but I can be in a field somewhere and it works fine. We do not get a great 3 signal at our place but if I go upstairs it is better just like Vodaphone can be. Out daughter uses Vodaphone and we have a Sure unit from Vodaphone which gives a local signal in the house via the internet. I have a Tmobile phone works fine anywhere in the house.

You could also try doing a reset on the MIFI, under the battery using a needle, and trying again. If not phone 3 support who will want the sims phone number.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Another thing to consider is getting an arial for your mifi if it has a connection to on for one

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
haven't got a mifi but my phone on 3 has never failed to connect to internet but not seen this bytel thing,always normal Phone connection I know this is no help but my e

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
haven't got a mifi but my phone on 3 has never failed to connect to internet but not seen this bytel thing,always normal Phone connection I know this is no help but my e
sorry missed a bit off just my experience of it

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I have an iPhone on 3 unlimited data plan. It won't let me tether my wifi only ipad to it as it says u can't do that abroad. Is there anyway I can use my existing contract sim etc and tether my ipad ?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Gazza333

When you say Tethered do you include using your iphone as a wireless hotspot.

Just asking for clarification. Can't think why it would know the difference between cabled and wireless connection.

Don't think your sim will work in a WIFI even although it will be able to be fitted with an adapter.

Doug

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
been trying to tether, as far as I can see it won't, did get it to work the first night over but it seems to have caught up with me now and cant do it again. Think the only way is to have exactly the same browser on both,then it might just work but hit and miss then

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
iPhone worked fine on 3 but it would not let me tether or use iPhone on PC as a modem tried all differing ways in France July

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
H
Hi Gazza333

When you say Tethered do you include using your iphone as a wireless hotspot.

Just asking for clarification. Can't think why it would know the difference between cabled and wireless connection.

Don't think your sim will work in a WIFI even although it will be able to be fitted with an adapter.

Doug
Hi yes I mean I set the iPhone to be a personal hotspot. It worked for 3 minutes then came the message "warning you cannot tether when in Europe or we will cut your dangles off and feed them to our dogs". Or similar
Then it wouldn't let me connect to the personal hotspot

Gary

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I contacted 3 for our trip to Sicily last year and oh yes sit will work in France, Italy and Sicily, errrrrrrrrr, no it won't!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have posted before on this subject but some may have missed it#
3 have seriously clamped down on tethering full stop anyone who is on unlimited data "The one Plan" will find on contract renewal or at upgrade time the terms have changed. Having decided to give us the "Feel at Home Package" and 4G for free, we will no longer be able to tether at any time when abroad, even back home Tethering will be restricted to Two GB a month on phone contracts and 4 GB on sim only contracts
They have they say, lost control of tethering to the point that many house hold's are giving up there normal cable and land line system for 3s unlimited data and combined with 4G where its available, its turning out faster than the home ones, and with often 3/4 users at onece in most homes it caused over load of the system
They have they say invested in new techy stuff to detect and stop unauthorised tethering, It looks like it works
G

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Badknee

I would have expected a phone to work in France etc last year with the extra costs involved unless it was blocked from doing that. If you were talking about a MIFI Sim I think I would have been surprised if it would and concerned at how much it would be. Currently if you are in Spain Data useage on your phone, unless you get an addon, is £198 per GB.

Only recently have 3 offered this facility called Feel at Home which covers France and a number of other countries whereby your minutes etc there is taken out of your UK allowance for no extra cost.

3 are anticipating adding more countries once they have reached agreements with their partners in the various countries. I am sure other providers will be making similar offers in due course.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
been trying to tether, as far as I can see it won't, did get it to work the first night over but it seems to have caught up with me now and cant do it again. Think the only way is to have exactly the same browser on both,then it might just work but hit and miss then

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
silly really in my case as I get perfect internet on my phone but as you can see its a hell of a fiddle,I just posted the same thing again, but if I could tether my iPad I would be off quicker and use less time and data

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi Badknee

I would have expected a phone to work in France etc last year with the extra costs involved unless it was blocked from doing that.

That was after a phone call to them giving all my details etc and it was rubbish.

Would a dongle be the answer do you think?

Deleted User
Arrived today near La Baule, unlocked Huawei 5332 mifi with 3 PAYG sim connected eventually to Bytel one or two bars max but working OK.Kept asking for password!! eventually rang 3 and told password was same as user name which is admin.

Heading south next week eventually to Spain & Portugal,I will be in France for about a month so as I also have an orange France sim so may top that up as a backup, can't do without t'internet:D

OP
OP
laneside

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hi Badknee

I would have expected a phone to work in France etc last year with the extra costs involved unless it was blocked from doing that. If you were talking about a MIFI Sim I think I would have been surprised if it would and concerned at how much it would be. Currently if you are in Spain Data useage on your phone, unless you get an addon, is £198 per GB.

Only recently have 3 offered this facility called Feel at Home which covers France and a number of other countries whereby your minutes etc there is taken out of your UK allowance for no extra cost.

3 are anticipating adding more countries once they have reached agreements with their partners in the various countries. I am sure other providers will be making similar offers in due course.

But from our experience feel at home is just a load of advertising BS as we have never managed to connect yet. Ok so if you are near major cities or towns you may be lucky but for where ever we have been in. France as yet it is a complete waste of time and no more than an annoying gimmick

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Mine is working fine in Confolens Alan, but it wouldn't work at Parc Verger! I think it was the amount of wine the Munchies poured down our throats when we arrived there...Hope all is well with you (apart from 3 Mifi that is!)

Catherine

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We've been in France for 3 weeks now using a 3 iPhone on 3G. It's worked a treat so far. We haven't tethered and it's sometimes a little slow when the signal is weak but there's no extra cost.
We've also come across a few SFR fon signals. Not many but better than in the past.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
That was after a phone call to them giving all my details etc and it was rubbish.

Would a dongle be the answer do you think?

HiBadknee

I have had a 3 dongle for years on a monthly contract and when a reasonable signal was available, like a phone, it has worked very well. I now have a 5GB monthly data deal as I anticipate we will use more and the deal included a MIFI. The advantage of the MIFI over the dongle is that whilst the latter has to be plugged into a computer USB socket the WIFI is a stand alone item, which like your router at home although smaller than a fag packet, can be logged into by up to 5 computers, tablets or phones at the same time. You could also carry the wifi in your pocket and log in anywhere you can get a signal.

Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back