umweltplakette on replacement screen (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Has anybody transferred an umweltplakette from an old to a new screen. I'm about to get my screen replaced (cracked in the sunshine) and took off the old one but it left some sticky lettering behind which I think voids it. It took an age to get it in Germany due to no euro emission information on V5 so ideally I can just stick the existing one on the new screen but not sure if the shadowy lettering voids it.

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Ditto, got a new one.
The problem was the lack of Euro IV on the V5 sent the system at the TUV station in to melt down. In the end the guy gave up and let me have a green one just to get rid of me I think. I doubt I'd be so lucky by postšŸ˜Ÿ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
refresh with black acrylic paint & a thin brush.
original wipes off using acetone,or nail varnish remover if desperate.

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
refresh with black acrylic paint & a thin brush.
original wipes off using acetone,or nail varnish remover if desperate.
There looks to some sort of security sticky thing going on - but I can't understand German so not sure what the revealed bit says. The hand written number plate is still perfect but the rest is probably 99% fubarred but worth a punt for 1% if it saves me sending DNA samples to Germany to get a new one.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1)a.jpg
    thumbnail (1)a.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 88
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Iā€™ve used, I think itā€™s called, self adhesive window film. Itā€™s like the old tax disc stuff. You cut a piece of film slightly bigger than the thing you want to attach to the windscreen, press your French, German or whatever pass to the film and press the film to the windscreen. Works a treat and easily peeled off to transfer.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It's a security feature which voids the sticker on any attempt at removal. You can take the chance that no-one will notice or apply for another, but legally it's no longer valid.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
We laminated ours then stuck it on the windscreen which is probably illegal.
It is, but having said that Amazon Germany sells clear adhesive discs intended to allow Umweltplakkete sized badges to be displayed in the windscreen without fixing them by their own adhesive. You might get away with using it with an unmolested disc, although one reviewer says that he got a 120 euro fine for doing so, but it won't help the Op whose disc already has its tamper evident status apparent.

The intention is obviously to stop a disc being transferred between vehicles and render it worthless if stolen or on any attempt being made to remove it.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We successfully transferred the German sticker when we had to have our windscreen replaced on our previous van but the French one was an absolute no go, itā€™s just perforated paper. We have both ready for our latest van but due to Covid our trip last year got cancelled. We decided weā€™d keep them in the glove box and only stick them on if we actually went near an area that required them in case of another windscreen disaster!

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The intention is obviously to stop a disc being transferred between vehicles and render it worthless if stolen or on any attempt being made to remove it.
How does the Umweltplakette system actually work please? Are the discs read automatically as you enter an environmental zone? Or do they rely on a policeman spotting a vehicle without a sticker and issuing a fine?

Also are there any rules about exactly where the disc has to be fixed? Can it be passenger side in a RHD vehicle for instance?

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
As far as I know there is no automatic system and it depends on the authorities checking in an area where itā€™s needed. If I remember rightly the sticker placement was precise, their near side, in the bottom corner of the windscreen, so our driver side. See my post #6 for fixing.

Reactions: maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If I remember rightly the sticker placement was precise, their near side, in the bottom corner of the windscreen, so our driver side. See my post #6 for fixing.
Yes, it seems to be called Cling Vinyl. Iā€™ve found some on eBay so will be doing what you suggested. I donā€™t want a rash of stickers on the driverā€™s side of the windscreen (small car), so being able to move them easily when not needed is a good idea. (y)

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
After reading this I've just checked mine and find that the registration number window has faded and it is unreadable. I suppose this is not legal.

It's not going to be a problem for us as we are selling the MH soon

20210718_093931.jpg

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
A Safety Razor Blade is what pro's use to get stickers of screens when customers need them putting back on the NEW screen.
And sunshine wont crack your screen, they have cars / vans in the Arctic and in the Middle East where it DOES get hot, the screen may crack IF it has been damaged previously, ie small stone chips then screen expands in hot or contracts cold weather.

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
A Safety Razor Blade is what pro's use to get stickers of screens when customers need them putting back on the NEW screen.
And sunshine wont crack your screen, they have cars / vans in the Arctic and in the Middle East where it DOES get hot, the screen may crack IF it has been damaged previously, ie small stone chips then screen expands in hot or contracts cold weather.
I used a safety razor blade to make the mess in the piccys. The screen cracked just sat sitting on site in the morning sun after a cold night šŸ˜•

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Mine has got the original German registration number on it, now a U.K. plate, but not going to worry about it

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We stuck ours to the side window near to the windscreen area. That way if I had the misfortune to loose the windscreen the sticker is still in tact at the side. Do not have a clue how the German authorities police the examination of the stickers. Is it a case of local traffic warden noting one not displayed or police stopping the vehicle to inspect. I get the impression that the inspection to see if you have such required sticker would come about if you were involved in some form of incident whereby the local authority would be required to attend

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
We stuck ours to the side window near to the windscreen area. That way if I had the misfortune to loose the windscreen the sticker is still in tact at the side. Do not have a clue how the German authorities police the examination of the stickers. Is it a case of local traffic warden noting one not displayed or police stopping the vehicle to inspect. I get the impression that the inspection to see if you have such required sticker would come about if you were involved in some form of incident whereby the local authority would be required to attend
The responsibility to check you have a valid sticker falls to the traffic wardens. In reality, this is only ever going to be checked if you are parked in a city centre where there is a requirement to display the Umweltplakkete and you are parked on a street, rather than a car park. I had a chat with a German citizen in Baden-Baden one Christmas, and he just chuckled at the notion that we'd get caught travelling through an emissions zone if we weren't displaying our little green sticker. We also fixed ours to a thin sheet of clear acetate and taped that into place to be able to swap it out if we needed a new windscreen at any point (we never did).

Reactions: maz
Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I used a safety razor blade to make the mess in the piccys. The screen cracked just sat sitting on site in the morning sun after a cold night šŸ˜•
There is a certain amount of skill involved, get it wrong and you can make a mess.
As for the screen "just cracking", screens simply just dont crack for no reason.
They are shaped using extremely high temperatures.
What has probably happened is that the screen has taken a stone chip, one that you did not notice and under a microscope that chip would have lots of cracks radiating from the point of impact.
Stone chip damage near or close to the "Black Band" will tend to crack very easily, this is due to the screen being held or bonded to the body and movement (minute) here will cause that damage to get a lot worse.
Also once the screen has suffered a chip it is susceptible to changes in temperature, it will expand around the chip and the small cracks turn into long cracks.
I could go on but it gets boring (if not already).

OP
OP
dunnah01
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
There is a certain amount of skill involved, get it wrong and you can make a mess.
As for the screen "just cracking", screens simply just dont crack for no reason.
They are shaped using extremely high temperatures.
What has probably happened is that the screen has taken a stone chip, one that you did not notice and under a microscope that chip would have lots of cracks radiating from the point of impact.
Stone chip damage near or close to the "Black Band" will tend to crack very easily, this is due to the screen being held or bonded to the body and movement (minute) here will cause that damage to get a lot worse.
Also once the screen has suffered a chip it is susceptible to changes in temperature, it will expand around the chip and the small cracks turn into long cracks.
I could go on but it gets boring (if not already).
Zee Germans have made it tamper proof so no amount of skill could save it, especially as it was on a
slightly concave part of the screen. The thermal shock must have cracked the screen as there is no evidence of any chip.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
After receiving the Umweltplakette and the French Crit_air stickers ( by post (but before applying them to UK driver side ) I emailed the issuing authorities for both saying it would cause reduced kerbside visibility in the EU and the replies said they could be stuck to the other side in this case.
As for policing the environmental stickers, I don't know about France but when travelling back from Austria just over the border into Germany the motorway was completely coned off and every vehicle was checked for the Umweltplakette.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back