LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Didnt bother getting the umwelt as we never go near big cities. I did try on the internet but downsizing photo was a pain then line of duty started.
Unfortunately the road to a village called gtach was closed so went via another village called schramberg north east of Freiburg in the middle of nowhere. Umwelt zone.
Went through it on sunday.
Monday 0900 nearest ford dealer had my 5 euros of custom. Took 3or 4 minutes when she worked out what i wanted.

Awaiting the post when i get back

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think I am right in saying that in Germany they have to actually pull you over, no cameras and surprises in the post.

Martin

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
I have never heard of anyone ever getting pulled over to check if they have a green disc.
It is more likely to be spotted by a traffic warden while parked, or if you are stopped for some other reason like a spot check (sometimes they do spot checks for drink-driving) or because you have a broken light, or involved in an accident etc.
I really think that the police cannot be arsed about it. Even if caught, the fine is not very large.
I almost regret having spent more than €1000 on a particle filter for an older van, so that I could get the green disc. Having said that, I do not live in the middle of an Umweltzone.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I have never heard of anyone ever getting pulled over to check if they have a green disc.
It is more likely to be spotted by a traffic warden while parked, or if you are stopped for some other reason like a spot check (sometimes they do spot checks for drink-driving) or because you have a broken light, or involved in an accident etc.
I really think that the police cannot be arsed about it. Even if caught, the fine is not very large.
I almost regret having spent more than €1000 on a particle filter for an older van, so that I could get the green disc. Having said that, I do not live in the middle of an Umweltzone.
But only ‘almost’, CIA at heart you’re a good soul who knows you’re doing the right thing ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I think I am right in saying that in Germany they have to actually pull you over, no cameras and surprises in the post.

Martin
That certainly does not apply to their speeding tickets ...... I had an unpleasant surprise in the post last year about 2 weeks after our return from touring round the Mosselle ................... :(:( Wife took one look at the photo and and said ........... guilty as charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As I've posted before, when I was trying to buy one in Germany the lady I was talking to told me she was the wife of a traffic cop and they had far better things to do than chase up missing emissions stickers. Forget about it!

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
Speeding cameras are one of the few areas in Germany where Big Brother is watching you. Germans are extremely protective of personal privacy.

Dashcams are a very controversial topic and are only just recently being allowed with certain restrictions. A friend was wrongly prosecuted for a driving offense which wasn't really his fault. He tried to use a dashcam recording to prove his innocence but it was not allowed in evidence, so he was wrongly fined for the driving offence and then fined again for using an illegal dashcam.

The Bavarian police recently applied for permission to use an Automatic Numberplate Recognition system, in order to catch criminals and terrorists. It was refused by the federal government, except in very special cases.

But my biggest complaint is how they have almost banned Google Street View from Germany. Most of the larger towns allowed Google in to some extent, but try zooming right out in Street View and you will see that most of Germany is a white space. I like using Street View when going somewhere where I haven't been before, especially if it is an old town which may have very narrow streets.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back