UK Work - Spanish Commute - Flying (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Can I do it?

I have an option........

Work Wednesday Thursday & Friday in the UK

Fly Manchester - Alicante 8pm Every Friday, Return Manchester Every Tuesday PM.

Working 3 days Months of October - May.

Work June, July, August and September, UK Based full time.

Time off:

23rd December - 7th January - Spain
2 weeks in Summer and 1 week September and October.

Sounds full on?

Thoughts welcome?

TM

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
If you can get cheap flights why not,wife flew from Glasgow to Alicante for £34.Cost me £58 just to cross the channel.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I did a weekly commute by car between Hampshire and Devon for well over ten years. it took me over two and a half hours on a good day. Typically it was back Friday afternoon and return Monday morning. It was quite doable and lots do much longer weekly commutes.
I guess with flying there is the added issue of getting to and from the airport at each end but if that isn't a long trip then it won't be too bad. There will be times when you are delayed through strikes, technical issues etc., so your employer may need to be understanding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Husband used to commute from the Isle of Wight, ferry to Southampton Monday morning back k Friday,
that was weather dependant too.
Delays seem to happen more on flights though so you could end up being late often.
Oh how i used to enjoy those peaceful weeks.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Are you on your own or have you a family? If so where will they be while you are commuting?

If they are in Spain you may have to look into tax implications etc.

Reactions: DBK

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It depends how much you want the job and how much you need the money.

You will be spending a lot of your own time travelling where you won't be paid and those hours should be taken into account when considering your salary.

Cost of transport to be considered too.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Have you fully researched flights ?
I know flights are cheap and reliable most of the time, but cancellations do happen and flights can be eye wateringly expensive.
What are the alternative airports if needed, Murcia (San Javier) has a very limited winter schedule for example.
It sounds like a lot of hard work, hope the rewards are worth the effort !

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes ,I'll reiterate what many have posted.
Flights need to be booked well in advance. Especially where you are flying on a school half-term week , & the weeks either side, when it needs to be done when the flights are first available.
What is the plan if an alternative airport is needed?
Always use the larger airport , Alicante, as if there's a cancellation you have far more choice for an alternative flight into the Uk . If you are in Murcia (San Javier ) you'll normally not have anything much.Valencia is not much better.
With Alicante you can even fly to the UK via Norway, using Norwegian air , & it's sometimes cheaper than a direct flight.
Bear in mind that their has been an air traffic controllers strike on most weeks this year. My wife has been affected on two occasions. One cost £300 to rearrange :cry:
If you have onward connections already booked, train/coach/bus etc; they will then also be lost.
My wife usually does 3 weeks on , 3 weeks off & that is worrying enough.
When it goes wrong it becomes a nightmare.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
See if you can get a job as a flight attendant, then they will pay you for all that time in a plane.!!
Sounds a nightmare to me, but then it depends on the job offer, how interesting and demanding the work is and for how long you expect to do it.
Ok for a few months maybe but on a long term basis likely to drive me nuts. But then I gave up all that work nonsense a few years back.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks all for the responses.

I work for my own limited company.

Flights, working out at between £14 and 45 each way.

I have been backward and forward since September. Sometimes staying in Spain for as long as two weeks and two trips of 10 days. Alternating driving with flying.

I go back again Week Friday to try a first 4 day trip.

I will see how we go.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I know of a couple of people who do exactly that from here on the Costa Blanca.

They pack their work into 3 or 4 very long days in the UK, and fly there from here each week to do it....with a little bit of online/phone/internet based work now and then from this end.

In the end, not much different to any job involving lots of travelling around the UK/sitting in jams on motorways for many hours each day.

You'd need to plan months ahead, manage your diary with a rod of iron, and book your flights WELL in advance, but yes, it is very do-able.

You are supposed to make sure you spend less than 183 days in Spain each year, to avoid tax residency issues.....although in reality chances are no one will ever actually ask you to prove you've done so!

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I did something along those lines for over 2 years.
Flight out 06h30 Monday, Stansted to Maastricht returning Friday evening.
It was the job so I didn't have to worry about flights etc but just managing to still have some home life.
After a while it was no different to going to work anywhere 2 hours away. It certainly encourages you to make the most of your weekend or home time.

R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
Did something similar, i hated it, and began to resent colleagues who got to go home every night, the money wasn't that good, fun to begin with though. If I were you I would make sure I had a plan B. I know that is unfashionable today but fail to plan, your plan will fail, or something!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I reckon running your own business like that would be fine. And, as you're aware, the flights through the winter months - when you want them - are much less expensive than during the summer holiday season.

The idea of being able to escape the British climate every week would make the travel worthwhile.

And as you've indicated Alicante is your preferred Spanish airport of choice, you will get the most direct flights from the UK at the best prices. Also, if you need it - cheapest hire cars in Spain.

Go for it... (y)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I reckon running your own business like that would be fine. And, as you're aware, the flights through the winter months - when you want them - are much less expensive than during the summer holiday season.

The idea of being able to escape the British climate every week would make the travel worthwhile.

And as you've indicated Alicante is your preferred Spanish airport of choice, you will get the most direct flights from the UK at the best prices. Also, if you need it - cheapest hire cars in Spain.

Go for it... (y)

We have a car in Spain. I use Seguro Parking who are amazing.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks all for the responses.

I work for my own limited company.

Flights, working out at between £14 and 45 each way.

I have been backward and forward since September. Sometimes staying in Spain for as long as two weeks and two trips of 10 days. Alternating driving with flying.

I go back again Week Friday to try a first 4 day trip.

I will see how we go.
Why not? I commuted between UK and Oslo for a while and UK/Geneva as well. Booked in advance and prepared to take the knocks on weather and froggie ATC strikes then ok, why not.......... it is a routine and easily manageable

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I knew some ex pats in France who did similar. Their work patterns seemed to vary from a few days every week to a longer stint once a month month.
Even had a friend who commuted back from Cyprus to cover holiday leaves in the hospital she used to work in.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You are supposed to make sure you spend less than 183 days in Spain each year, to avoid tax residency issues.....although in reality chances are no one will ever actually ask you to prove you've done so!

At one point Spain was proposing to do away with the " Days travelling do not count " , but didn't eventually but the UK changed there statutory residency test to include where you are at midnight on the days.All far more complicated. these days.

Just remembered for the OP., @TeeMyob My wife paid to join a Frequent flyer vip lounge scheme. Allows her to use the vip lounges with free food/coffee/internet etc in most places in the world. Ideal at alicante , stansted ,etc. She also uses it when flying to see the Daughter/grand daughter in Australia @Heathrow, Gatwick , Dubai ,etc.
If travelling with others you can pay a one off £15 for them to use the facilities in each direction.
Pays for itself in less than 8 flights just in food/coffee. :LOL:Think it was around£230/year & tax deductible.(y)
Oh priority pass she has said it is called but need to check internet as there are a few available & discount varies between 10-20% + some only allow you in on say 10 occasions without paying more-

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
At one point Spain was proposing to do away with the " Days travelling do not count " , but didn't eventually but the UK changed there statutory residency test to include where you are at midnight on the days.All far more complicated. these days.

Just remembered for the OP., @TeeMyob My wife paid to join a Frequent flyer vip lounge scheme. Allows her to use the vip lounges with free food/coffee/internet etc in most places in the world. Ideal at alicante , stansted ,etc. She also uses it when flying to see the Daughter/grand daughter in Australia @Heathrow, Gatwick , Dubai ,etc.
If travelling with others you can pay a one off £15 for them to use the facilities in each direction.
Pays for itself in less than 8 flights just in food/coffee. :LOL:Think it was around£230/year & tax deductible.(y)
Oh priority pass she has said it is called but need to check internet as there are a few available & discount varies between 10-20% + some only allow you in on say 10 occasions without paying more-

Link Removed

Great trip tip, thank you.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I do not have a massive workload at the moment. Having recenlty lost two of my Pals in one week and reading the sad news on here. We have decided to take some time out. The Motorhome is parked-up until June and we are off to our house in Spain for most of April and part of May.

I will look at the commute later in the year from September on wards.

TM

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Just to let you know, we have joined the Priority Pass via a discount with Groupon. Has been worth every penny so-far.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I don't see any issue but then I do something similar every week and have done for over 12yrs although my destinations vary as opposed to being fixed.

How flexible is the employer if you miss a flight or one gets cancelled ?
Can you carry out some of the work remotely if needed
Air miles become your friend as do airline memberships (EasyJet "Plus" card)
Parking often costs more than the flights

My only issue with the whole thing is paying for a car that now sits at the airport/station for most of it's life, trying to get round that.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Another vote for Priority Pass. Worth checking out Barclays Premium account deals, as well, they include airport lounges

I have done the long term commute, London-Geneva, Luton-Lisbon, it's all a matter of economics and support from the family

Good luck

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I don't see any issue but then I do something similar every week and have done for over 12yrs although my destinations vary as opposed to being fixed.

How flexible is the employer if you miss a flight or one gets cancelled ?
Can you carry out some of the work remotely if needed
Air miles become your friend as do airline memberships (EasyJet "Plus" card)
Parking often costs more than the flights

My only issue with the whole thing is paying for a car that now sits at the airport/station for most of it's life, trying to get round that.

I work for my own company.

I keep one of my cars at Alicante airport with Seguro parking who, so-far have been faultless. €300 per year and as many deliveries and collections of my car as I wish.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back