UK winter weather, condensation and aching bones (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Right now i have been away in the UK for nearly 2 week's with couple days at home.

Anyway at this time of year i get condensation.

Now the van is at a steady 68 degrees but my bones ache like hell, I have arthritis everywhere sadly but suffering from it far worse in the van.

Is this because of the extra water in the air in the bus as yes it aches in the winter but not to this extent.

Wished i was in Spain.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Do you sleep under one of the Windows John?

The condensation certainly won't help with the associated Cold air falling.

I have toyed with getting silver screens on the rest of the windows of mine (especially by the kids Bunk Beds) to help keep the warmth in.

Have you thought about a dehumidifier?The damp gets into the fabric of the van otherwise.

I hope you feel better soon and can work something out.

Steve.

Last edited:
N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I think it's called 'old age and rising damp' John.... I resemble that remark:ROFLMAO:

all in the context of 'global warming' ...what a load of BS:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Do you sleep under one of the Windows John?

The condensation certainly won't help with the associated Cold air falling.

I have toyed with getting silver screens on the rest of the windows of mine (especially by the kids Bunk Beds) to help keep the warmth in.

Have you thought about a dehumidifier?The damp gets into the fabric of the van otherwise.

I hope you feel better soon and can work something out.

Steve.

Leave a roof vent open slightly but not windows as cold really gets to me.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I think it's called 'old age and rising damp' John.... I resemble that remark:ROFLMAO:

all in the context of 'global warming' ...what a load of BS:Doh:

:Doh::RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just i really notice it while away sadly.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just a thought.

Have you thought of using an electric blanket at night?

I find that If I get a chill overnight, (I tend to throw the blankets off:ROFLMAO:) I pay for it the next day with aches and pains.:Eeek:Start the day warm and you're some way there.

Certainly lowering the condensation will help you.Venting out any cooking steam etc also.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi John

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains.. :Sad:

I agree with Steve and you probably don't have dual panes so fitting silver screens would be a great help.
If you are a bit handy with your hands, buy silver screen type material from a DIY store, the stuff builders use for cavity wall insulation, gaffer tape and suckers, cut to fit each window, use gaffer tape for edging and fit the suckers..

It's not particularly cheap, but a lot cheaper than custom made.. one roll would probably be enough for a couple of RVs, maybe someone could share the cost ?

Airtec Double Insulation 1.5m x 25m - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi John

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains.. :Sad:

I agree with Steve and you probably don't have dual panes so fitting silver screens would be a great help.
If you are a bit handy with your hands, buy silver screen type material from a DIY store, the stuff builders use for cavity wall insulation, gaffer tape and suckers, cut to fit each window, use gaffer tape for edging and fit the suckers..

It's not particularly cheap, but a lot cheaper than custom made.. one roll would probably be enough for a couple of RVs, maybe someone could share the cost ?

Airtec Double Insulation 1.5m x 25m - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Good idea - it would be better from a condensation point of view to fit the silver screens externally, so would it be better to clip them around the windows rather than use suckers? Don't even know if that would be possible, though. So I may well be talking out of my:moon: ::bigsmile:

John

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
i believe even dual pane get a certain amount of condensation?

I would need scaffolding externally cover my front screen.

Maybe only warm climes in the winter then?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i believe even dual pane get a certain amount of condensation?

I would need scaffolding externally cover my front screen.

Maybe only warm climes in the winter then?

That's a question I've been meaning to ask.

Why do they use Single glazing on US Vehicles?

Don't they use them in Winter?????:RollEyes: Or Do they just migrate South.

It would have the advantage of additional Sound insulation too.

Are the later RV/Euro Motorhomes double Glazed?

Certainly our Caravan was......Sorry I mentioned THAT word!:RollEyes:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its strange but RVs dont seem to have dbl glazing. Ive heard that a few Canadian manufacturers fit it as standard but i suppose they are more used to very cold winters than their American cousins.

I wonder if fitting "secondary glazing" to the existing windows would be any help?? It was quite popular a few years ago in houses but i suppose the rounded shapes of the glass will make this an expensive and difficult choice.:cry:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Its strange but RVs dont seem to have dbl glazing. Ive heard that a few Canadian manufacturers fit it as standard but i suppose they are more used to very cold winters than their American cousins.

I wonder if fitting "secondary glazing" to the existing windows would be any help?? It was quite popular a few years ago in houses but i suppose the rounded shapes of the glass will make this an expensive and difficult choice.:cry:

I guess even bubblewrap on the inside would help with the additional advantage of letting light in.

Pity they don't do transparent expanded polystyrene sheet.It could be cut to size to fit perfectly.I made up some boards to to exactly this when the kids were younger and found it too light to get to sleep in the late evenings.:ROFLMAO:

It worked a treat but made it very dark inside.:Eeek:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I guess even bubblewrap on the inside would help with the additional advantage of letting light in.

Pity they don't do transparent expanded polystyrene sheet.It could be cut to size to fit perfectly.I made up some boards to to exactly this when the kids were younger and found it too light to get to sleep in the late evenings.:ROFLMAO:

It worked a treat but made it very dark inside.:Eeek:

Someone did suggest the triple walled clear conservatory roofing material which does allow light in but you need to seal up the ends of the sheets with gaffer tape (or similar) and its quite thick and not overly pretty :Sad:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi my 04 winnie has D/G and I thought all more modern RV's had it as well, wrong maybe??

Can't remember having much problem with condensation, but then we don't live in it fulltime.

I think a dehumidifier is the answer John, mine cost about £60 I believe, and I leave it in the van when its parked up in the back garden, they work better the warmer the van is, so ideal if you fulltime in it. Didn't Dick (moandick) say he had one?

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Some RVs are dual paned, some aren't, we have it on all windows apart from the windscreen, we don't find condensation a problem. We leave the roof lights slightly open and have 2 x 800 watt oil filled rads on almost permanently.

Cooking and showering are the main sources of moisture.

Last edited:

mick

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
middlesex/ mojacar spain
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
approx 18 months
spain sunny

Right now i have been away in the UK for nearly 2 week's with couple days at home.

Anyway at this time of year i get condensation.

Now the van is at a steady 68 degrees but my bones ache like hell, I have arthritis everywhere sadly but suffering from it far worse in the van.

Is this because of the extra water in the air in the bus as yes it aches in the winter but not to this extent.

Wished i was in Spain.
i bet you do, its lovely here at the moment close on 70+ most days. turn around and get back to the warm.
mick

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Some RVs are dual paned, some aren't, we have it on all windows apart from the windscreen, we don't find condensation a problem. We leave the roof lights slightly open and have 2 x 800 watt oil filled rads on almost permanently.

Cooking and showering are the main sources of moisture.

...and breathing, of course. Stop doing that and your problems are over. Link Removed:ROFLMAO::Eeek:

John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, External screens stop condensation on the windscreen,but it only goes elsewhere ::bigsmile: internal do not stop it (but help) :winky: The best way is to open a window, say if you sleep at the back open the fronts and visa vesa.You need to elimiate all of the wet bits ie vent when cooking or drying. Each person creates about 2 pints of water by breathing (overnight) and all this water will head stright for the coldest bit :winky: more likly to be windows.Hot air rises so the condesation will foarm on the windows before leaving via roof vents, hence the need to open a widow to draw your moisture to the cold bit rather than the rest of the glass :thumb:
terry

Last edited:
J

John West

Deleted User
hot dip

hi road runner, if you could get a chance somwhere to have a long hot soke in a bath,or how about a swimming pool leisure centre jazzusie or steam room ,to get some warmth into your bones ,,,that will get you moving

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Cheap partial fix for single windows is to stretch clingwrap film across them on the inside.
Open a window or hatch when showering or cooking to let moist air out.
Don't use any form of unflued gas heating as that adds water vapour to the air.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back