UK travellers to be barred from Germany From Sun 23 May (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Britons will soon be barred from entering Germany after the country’s Public Health Institute designated the UK as a virus variant area of concern.
From midnight on Sunday, May 23, people travelling to Germany from Great Britain and Northern Ireland may only enter the country if they are a German citizen or resident.
Spouses and children under 18 of a German citizen or resident can also enter, as long as the household are travelling together.

Those with an urgent humanitarian reason such as an immediate family bereavement are also able to enter, however anyone entering the country from the UK must quarantine for two weeks on arrival, even if they test negative for the coronavirus.

Pete

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
It reads as people travelling from the UK to Germany not just Britons so if I happened to be in The Netherlands at the Moment I could still travel to Germany.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
What is not made clear is that direct travel. If France allows uk residents to visit and then one sets off on a trip stays in France for a while then into Germany say after14 days after leaving the uk are you then still required to quarantine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
What is not made clear is that direct travel. If France allows uk residents to visit and then one sets off on a trip stays in France for a while then into Germany say after 14 days after leaving the uk are you then still required to quarantine

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
How is that going to effect republic if Ireland travellers/ lorry drivers. Can see this policy hitting the barriers for road users. Is it the case if residents of the uk or nationals. We hold EU passports. So can we go into Germany with uk registered vehicle then when stopped show EU passports. Will that be against freedom of movement ?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
It won’t last long. As usual the ones making these decisions will change their minds three or four times this week.

At least they acted quicker than Boris did !!

But if the UK was not so good at discovering the variants kicking around. Or didn't report in the media that we had found "xyz" variants in the UK, then how would Germany or others know about it ?

It's all academic anyway as the Indian variant will surely show up in other EU Countries and hence be transferred to Germany before long.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
lorry drivers.
You remind me of my wife.:giggle:
Anyone working is not affected. If you are doing any type of work & road travelling in the main the rules do not apply to you.There are no tests required.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How is that going to effect republic if Ireland travellers/ lorry drivers. Can see this policy hitting the barriers for road users. Is it the case if residents of the uk or nationals. We hold EU passports. So can we go into Germany with uk registered vehicle then when stopped show EU passports. Will that be against freedom of movement ?
There is no such thing as an "EU" passport.only a passport issued by an EU state.
If you are travelling out of the uk on an irish passport & through the uk then it will affect you.
If you have UK registration plates it will affect you.
Most european law enforcement have no idea that irish can come & go & drive uk vehicles & would err on side of caution & assume you are on the banned list. as above working drivers are exempt even if they travel from Ireland through uk into europe.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009

But if the UK was not so good at discovering the variants kicking around. Or didn't report in the media that we had found "xyz" variants in the UK, then how would Germany or others know about it ?

It's all academic anyway as the Indian variant will surely show up in other EU Countries and hence be transferred to Germany before long.
Its already in Germany, they locked down two blocks of plates last week

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
It says only German Citizens or Residents that have travelled from the UK/NI will be allowed into Germany so unless you meet that criteria, However it would really only work for flying as once you are on mainland Europe there are virtually limited checks on cross border movements.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You can't possibly know that...
How long have they been considering the issue.
Is it just a convenient excuse
Without British knowhow with genome sequencing - the Germans [and others] would have little idea about variants.

Remind me again, what the German position is on the AZ vaccine? Approved or not... over 65s, not the under 60's?

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I am of the view that nobody should be travelling out of our own countries until the country you are visiting are near to completion of their vaccine programs. By the end of summer all the EU will be upto pace and I can see unrestricted travel will be allowed. Those jumping off to warmer climates at the moment will be spreading either to those countries or risk bring back variants unknown at the moment and quarantine policy upon return will not work due to enforcement. So not long to go

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Its already in Germany, they locked down two blocks of plates last week
I read this morning the Indian variant is currently standing at 2% of all cases in Germany whereas it is poised to be the dominant variant here. Depending on how much genomic sequencing they actually do, the 2% could be the tip of the iceberg.

I’m also if the view that we’re looking at autumn at the earliest for widespread freedom of travel.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I read this morning the Indian variant is currently standing at 2% of all cases in Germany whereas it is poised to be the dominant variant here. Depending on how much genomic sequencing they actually do, the 2% could be the tip of the iceberg.

I’m also if the view that we’re looking at autumn at the earliest for widespread freedom of travel.
Is “poised to be” more than 2% of all cases in U.K. ? That 2% could also become the dominant strain in Germany and elsewhere if they made the information public.
Looks like the difference is that the U.K. announce when a new variant is found and what the risks could be whereas others in Europe play their cards close to their chest.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Is “poised to be” more than 2% of all cases in U.K. ? That 2% could also become the dominant strain in Germany and elsewhere if they made the information public.
Looks like the difference is that the U.K. announce when a new variant is found and what the risks could be whereas others in Europe play their cards close to their chest.
No I think it’s more than 2% here. I’m sure I read 7% and BBC quoted it as being dominant here on 19th May. I don’t understand how 7% is dominant.

Agreed we are more open and possibly do more testing. I think ultimately it will become dominant in Germany too ... until the next variant.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
No I think it’s more than 2% here. I’m sure I read 7% and BBC quoted it as being dominant here on 19th May. I don’t understand how 7% is dominant.

Agreed we are more open and possibly do more testing. I think ultimately it will become dominant in Germany too ... until the next variant.
I think the 'dominant' adjective is used because the Indian Variant is the most frequent strain seen in Tests, and also because of the rapid increase in reported infections. Some 3 or 4 days ago, Indian Variant cases were reported as 160% higher than they were 3 days previously. It's a feature of modern, rolling news; journalists don't have the time to consider their choice of vocabulary, nor to give much background/contextual information. This seems to follow later in 'Feature Articles' written by 3 or 4 journos, with further information syndicated by PA et al.

Steve

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I wonder just how many variants occur across the water , 27 EU countries many with still high infection rates and yet we rarely hear of a variant carrying a “European name” , food for thought ;)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I wonder just how many variants occur across the water , 27 EU countries many with still high infection rates and yet we rarely hear of a variant carrying a “European name” , food for thought ;)
Yeah they even managed to duck responsibility for the Kent variant which originated in France. Still we have brought the Indian variant on ourselves through the stupidity of not dealing with the situation before it got out of hand.(n)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The media convention is to name it after the place where it is first discovered/reported: so the "Kent", "Indian", "Brazilian", "South African" etc variants are promulgated by the press.
Scientists tend to give them much more specific names eg B.1.617, etc

The World Health Organization (WHO) in 2015 published best practices for disease naming, which advised that scientists should refrain from using geographic locations or people's names, animal species or food,

For the novel coronavirus variants specifically, any with the "B.1" label indicates that the variant is related to the outbreak in Italy in spring of last year. Scientists have since identified numerous versions of the B.1 variant—but they typically make headlines only when they present a change in the virus' behavior: for example, when a variant appears to be more readily transmissible than the original virus (as with B.1.1.7, the novel coronavirus variant first identified in Britain) or if a variant seems less vulnerable to the immune response (as with B.1.351, the variant first identified in South Africa).

Gordon

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think truck drivers will be exempt.BUSBY.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Their own vaccination ineptitude perhaps?

Britain as a world leader in sequencing... how many links would you like?
Here's just one:
https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/emea/uk-share-genomics-expertise-identify-covid-19-variants
Your quote basically stated that the world would be clueless regarding anything to do with any possible Covid variants without the UK. This is patently untrue.
Is that actually possible?
One is either patriotic or not.
Yes, of course it is possible. I can be proud of my country without needing to believe that it is beyond compare, excels in every area compared to any other country or that its government is beyond reproach. At that point you have gone beyond mere patriotism.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Your quote basically stated that the world would be clueless regarding anything to do with any possible Covid variants without the UK. This is patently untrue.

Yes, of course it is possible. I can be proud of my country without needing to believe that it is beyond compare, excels in every area compared to any other country or that its government is beyond reproach. At that point you have gone beyond mere patriotism.
Enjoy your argument

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yeah they even managed to duck responsibility for the Kent variant which originated in France. Still we have brought the Indian variant on ourselves through the stupidity of not dealing with the situation before it got out of hand.(n)
The Indian variant could well have landed in Europe before it arrived here but as I posted earlier EU countries are not as forthcoming as U.K. wonder what the real reason is that U.K. is on Germany’s red list, I think it’s called politics Buttons.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The Indian variant could well have landed in Europe before it arrived here but as I posted earlier EU countries are not as forthcoming as U.K. wonder what the real reason is that U.K. is on Germany’s red list, I think it’s called politics Buttons.
Having had a German grandmother Larry I should trust the German's :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back