UK to France - 10 Days? Long Enough? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to the forum Amnesia180 w2f

It`s probably a bit overwhelming to get your holiday plans dismantled in this way, but honestly it`s all good advice given with the best of intentions.
Unless you have specific reasons for going to Paris or Monaco, stay well clear, there are much more motorhome friendly and beautiful places in France just an hour or two from Calais.
Normandy or the beautful beaches of Brittany would be my choice, Loire as an alternative.
Less driving = more enjoyment and more relaxing.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting, no lorry driver would be allowed to work these hours on safety grounds. That works out about 10 hours solid driving before a stop for something to eat assuming a reasonable motorhome average speed of 50mph. No stops between then even to go to the loo? That's well into superman territory.

You say that is not a problem???????

I'm not a lorry driver - I drive a PVC

I drive at an indicated 80mph where conditions & speed limit allows

I wear my underpants inside my trousers - but thanks for the compliment 🙂

For me it's not a problem - it's how I roll 🙂

I know many motorhomers enjoy the journey, stopping to look at things they find 'interesting' nothing wrong with that - but for me, my motorhome provides the transport to get me & my toys to where I want to be - then the fun begins

We're all different - that's what makes life interesting

Last edited:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Stay at Cannes and get the train into Monaco..If you really want to do it GO have fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I think it’s just about doable ... on the basis we had a great holiday last October... we travelled over the tunnel on the Saturday night, kipped, belted down Motorway to Canal du Midi for 2nd night then 5 nights on South coast. Then headed north stopping at Carcasonne for a night and 2 nights in Loire and another in Normandy for Giverney and a final night about 60km from Tunnel ...

Where you go is personal preference ... small towns and villages and countryside is my preference but we are all different.

I’m hoping to do something similar this October if things are more settled ... we have a fortnight BUT are SW Scotland so not dissimilar ..

OP
OP
A

Amnesia180

Free Member
Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
I use rentals
All,

Thank you for your responses. Thoroughly detailed responses, really appreciate it.

Okay, so forgive me - we want to visit France, but necessarily Monaco and Paris - it was just an idea, with no real thought behind it, which is why I came to the forum. You are all helping us shape our plans, which is great!

So, rather than pick a destination, let me describe what we would like to achieve:

We chose France, because the weather should still be warm(ish). We love culture (not very fluent in French, however). We want to taste wine, local cuisine, see the rivers, beach, long walks, relax and enjoy. Driving isn't a problem, but we want a good mix of of seeing France but and also exploring the areas we will stay in.

Thanks again! Appreciate all the comments.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I'm not a lorry driver - I drive a PVC

I drive at an indicated 80mph where conditions & speed limit allows

I wear my underpants inside my trousers - but thanks for the compliment 🙂

For me it's not a problem - it's how I roll 🙂

I know many motorhomers enjoy the journey, stopping to look at things they find 'interesting' nothing wrong with that - but for me, my motorhome provides the transport to get me & my toys to where I want to be - then the fun begins

We're all different - that's what makes life interesting
Remember the point of this topic? The OP was asking about taking a rented motorhome down to the south of France. You claim this distance is not a problem, yet you are driving a PVC at 80mph for something like 500+ miles without a stop. Evan at that speed you are looking at a minimum 7 hours driving without stopping, and that's just half your journey.

Is that sensible advice to offer someone inexperienced with motorhomes and foreign travel who is considering the feasibility of a long journey?

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
All,

Thank you for your responses. Thoroughly detailed responses, really appreciate it.

Okay, so forgive me - we want to visit France, but necessarily Monaco and Paris - it was just an idea, with no real thought behind it, which is why I came to the forum. You are all helping us shape our plans, which is great!

So, rather than pick a destination, let me describe what we would like to achieve:

We chose France, because the weather should still be warm(ish). We love culture (not very fluent in French, however). We want to taste wine, local cuisine, see the rivers, beach, long walks, relax and enjoy. Driving isn't a problem, but we want a good mix of of seeing France but and also exploring the areas we will stay in.

Try The Mayenne (it's an area and a river) take a gentle day down from Calais, the area around Chateau-Gontier is lovely, proper France you will get by speaking Franglais. Miles of towpaths to walk and cycle, far enough South to get a mild sunny Autumn. Mind you I'm biased, because that is where I should be now in normal times. Photo is old parking is now on opposite side of river
CG.jpg
CG.jpg

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Remember the point of this topic? The OP was asking about taking a rented motorhome down to the south of France. You claim this distance is not a problem, yet you are driving a PVC at 80mph for something like 500+ miles without a stop. Evan at that speed you are looking at a minimum 7 hours driving without stopping, and that's just half your journey.

Is that sensible advice to offer someone inexperienced with motorhomes and foreign travel who is considering the feasibility of a long journey?

I was using my own experiences as an indication that 1600 miles over nine and a half days is achievable, not suggesting they drive it in one go. It was in order to offer an alternative to other responses saying it was too far

I then asked the OP to give more information on their proposed trip, so that better advice could be given

Yes, I am comfortable to drive for 7 hours, if I wasn't I would simply stop somewhere

I accept that we're all different and have different ways of how we use our time - obviously you & are very different - as the OP is intending to head to France I say "vive la difference" 🙂

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
All,

I think that if you had started this thread with the above objectives the answers might have been more constructive.

Wherever you go don not forget that in some towns/cities you need a 'Crit'air' emissions sticker even if no emissions ban is in force.

Go slow/short. Eat and walk well.

Geoff

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Try The Mayenne (it's an area and a river) take a gentle day down from Calais, the area around Chateau-Gontier is lovely, proper France you will get by speaking Franglais. Miles of towpaths to walk and cycle, far enough South to get a mild sunny Autumn. Mind you I'm biased, because that is where I should be now in normal times. Photo is old parking is now on opposite side of riverView attachment 395553View attachment 395553
Hi Euromobile
love your photo's , we were there in 2009 , now parking on that side of the river is a no go , motorhomes not allowed there any more , you have to park the other side , bit industrial large park.
as you can see from my photo
1591789620944.png

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Euromobile
love your photo's , we were there in 2009 , now parking on that side of the river is a no go , motorhomes not allowed there any more , you have to park the other side , bit industrial large park.

Euromobile said that about the other side.

Should have gone to Spesavers.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Drive less holiday more :cool:
Every one to there own but we try to keep the driving times down when we can

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
We now use the municipal campsite as they have moved services to there, you can enter free to use the services or for I think 12euro have a night with lovely clean hot showers. Easy stroll into town for decent restaurants. If SWMBO would agree I would live there.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Euromobile said that about the other side.

Should have gone to Spesavers.
Must learn to read !!! And not just look at photos or pictures , thanks
that's what I was told at school many many years a go !!!

Last edited:
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
As someone who has limited time and a desire to see more than just northern/western France, we aren't afraid to put the miles and pay the motorway tolls in if needed. Whilst in theory it would be possible to get all the way down to the south of France and back again in 9/10 days, I don't think it'd be the best use of your time (or the money you'd be spending on the MH hire!).

Over the past few years we've found a formula that maximises the places we can reach whilst still having an enjoyable and relaxing holiday:
- aim for around 120 miles per day on average (that doesn't mean we drive every day though - this is just the average over the whole trip including days we don't move)
- multiply Google Maps driving times by 1.2 to get a more realistic idea of how long a journey will take in a MH
- aim for a of 6 hours driving (we're prepared to make an exception occasionally...in which case factor in a good break halfway through)
- take the tunnel over the afternoon/evening after finishing work (for you it could be the day you pick up your hire) and then drive for 3 or 4 hours on the French side before stopping somewhere for the night
- try and have an equal balance of 1 night, 2 night and 3 night stops

I reckon in 9/10 days Western France would be the best bet - the Loire and Dordogne have some lovely places, you might even get as far as the Bordeaux area. If you like wine I can recommend joining France Passion (a scheme where you can stay on vineyards for free).

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We found it easy to underestimate just how vast France is. For a first trip I'd suggest not trying to go too far and remember you will be constantly weighing up how far you can go before needing to turn back to get home. With that in mind we only book one way, then we can meander around at will and book the return crossing the day before. đź‘Ť

Wyn

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I was using my own experiences as an indication that 1600 miles over nine and a half days is achievable, not suggesting they drive it in one go. It was in order to offer an alternative to other responses saying it was too far

I suggest you read back to your first post. You did suggest it was possible to drive 1000 miles in one go with just one stop for gas and food.

Quite frankly, the distance is not a problem - I regular do a 1000 mile journey stopping once for gas & food and then the ferry

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Having done both 'long haul' and 'short haul' trips around Europe and the Balkans I tend to agree with many other comments, more than 250 miles in a day becomes tiring. Using the peage might be quicker but you will see nothing of France. Most of the autoroutes have almost parallel 'N' roads, the old Route Nationale. These will have no tolls, will travel through delightful villages and countryside offering many opportunities to see much of what is good about France. Again as others have suggested the mid west areas of France are a great place to experience French life, camper friendly and quite relaxed. The varied suggestions for visiting Paris and Monaco by flying and train seem a much better idea than struggling with a camper in hostile territory.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Having done both 'long haul' and 'short haul' trips around Europe and the Balkans I tend to agree with many other comments, more than 250 miles in a day becomes tiring. Using the peage might be quicker but you will see nothing of France. Most of the autoroutes have almost parallel 'N' roads, the old Route Nationale. These will have no tolls, will travel through delightful villages and countryside offering many opportunities to see much of what is good about France. Again as others have suggested the mid west areas of France are a great place to experience French life, camper friendly and quite relaxed. The varied suggestions for visiting Paris and Monaco by flying and train seem a much better idea than struggling with a camper in hostile territory.
Have to say we avoid Cites but not adverse to stopping in or on the edge of a town possibly walking in and getting a train to travel 30 or 40 to the city of interest to explore then escaping back to rural bliss like a commuter

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Most of the autoroutes have almost parallel 'N' roads, the old Route Nationale. These will have no tolls, will travel through delightful villages and countryside offering many opportunities to see much of what is good about France.
And many opportunities to drive over the huge number of speed bumps in each village!

We find the driving much more pleasant on the autoroute, we can experience the pretty villages and countryside by foot or bike when we arrive ;)

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
A great bonus with many French campsites is the connections they have to local community, many offer free or reduced public transport to nearby towns/attractions during holiday season. In many cases there is no need to book for sites, usually plenty of room, especially outside peak season, so if you don't like a place you can just move on, if you do like it, stay longer.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I didn't need the reminder about those speed bumps!!! Hard suspension on the Dethleff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back