Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I know this may be a common question but I can't find what I want to know clearly.

My MH is under the 35t limit, what is my legal speed limit??

I now know that all commercial vans, any size are restricted to 60mph, seems most white van drivers are unaware of this though but round our way at least they are finding out to their cost.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Well I can keep up with the lorries quite happily :D until there is an incline :( then my foot is trying to push the accelerator pedal through the floor :mad: whilst I try to avoid eye contact with the passing loaded 40 footer :whistle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Well I can keep up with the lorries quite happily :D until there is an incline :( then my foot is trying to push the accelerator pedal through the floor :mad: whilst I try to avoid eye contact with the passing loaded 40 footer :whistle:
That is a good point you have brought up and could be of interest to potential buyers. What engine BHP should you go for because many do struggle on the hills, my guess is around 120BHP is a good output if you do a lot of travelling, I have 130bBHP which is just enough, I have no trouble on motorways or inclines pulling 3100kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
That is a good point you have brought up and could be of interest to potential buyers. What engine BHP should you go for because many do struggle on the hills, my guess is around 120BHP is a good output if you do a lot of travelling, I have 130bBHP which is just enough, I have no trouble on motorways or inclines pulling 3100kg.

Yes i agree with the 120 bhp mark, mine is 103 bhp, 3.5 ton direct injection non ecu, often with a light trailer, But I can fix it with a lump hammer and a piece of chewing gum :LOL:

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yes i agree with the 120 bhp mark, mine is 103 bhp, 3.5 ton direct injection non ecu, often with a light trailer, But I can fix it with a lump hammer and a piece of chewing gum :LOL:

Which Is often the real Blessing!!. My (current one) is far too complicated, Mainly because it HAS to comply with (IMHO - STUPID) "Emission" "Euro laws". But then I want out of the EU ASAP!.

BTW my V5 Only states GROSS vehicle mass? No mention of unladen anywhere.!

As for speed, per se, I just try and let the traffic around me get on with it!. I will always back of a touch IF a truck tries to overtake. I too remember having to be somewhere, OR risk missing the "time slot"!!, because the person in the schedule office THINKS we can get there faster that is actually possible in the "real world"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. However IMHO the likes of the A15 are SAFER to drive since the Truck Limit was raised to 50. Not so many "dick-heads" in cars trying to commit suicide, as when it was 40!.

Pete

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Which Is often the real Blessing!!. My (current one) is far too complicated, Mainly because it HAS to comply with (IMHO - STUPID) "Emission" "Euro laws". But then I want out of the EU ASAP!.

I agree with that (y)

BTW my V5 Only states GROSS vehicle mass? No mention of unladen anywhere.!

Same as mine no mention on V5, my unladen weight is stamped on a plate under the bonnet on the slam panel.

As for speed, per se, I just try and let the traffic around me get on with it!. I will always back of a touch IF a truck tries to overtake. I too remember having to be somewhere

I agree with that (y)

OR risk missing the "time slot"!!, because the person in the schedule office THINKS we can get there faster that is actually possible in the "real world"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. However IMHO the likes of the A15 are SAFER to drive since the Truck Limit was raised to 50. Not so many "dick-heads" in cars trying to commit suicide, as when it was 40!.

Chill Pete its Sunday :LOL: (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I see where you are trying to go, but think about it like this. The supermarket trucks are travelling at 6 mph less than every other HGV, meaning that a gigantic elephant race is set up on any motorway where they are present, with normal HGV's passing them in the middle lane, effectively reducing every motorway to one lane for the rest of the public.
It also has the side effect of forcing the less confident driver, who was happily pootling along at 55 in lane one (causing little problems for anyone) out into lane 3 (where they are neither competent or confident), thus reducing the motorway to one lane and a near standstill for the rest of the motoring public!
Let's not forget all those people who are towing toads or caravans, they are stuck in the chaos, since lane 3 is out of bounds!

Completely agree. There is absolutely no need for them to be limited to a lesser speed than the actual legal limit.

So your 103 bhp doesn't go any quicker than my 56 bhp then ? :LOL:

Pete

Why would they be affected ? They are world-wide & come from the original Kyoto agreement . Some are implemented by the EU but even an out vote wouldn't mean that any change.
Can you actually see any government changing them ? Can you see any car maker manufacturing a vehicle specifically for the UK with a more agricultural engine ?
Never going to happen.

P.S. Even if they did leave & then negotiated to join EEA , nothing would change. The Laws,including emssion, would still apply & the EU citizens would still all be there ! :D

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Regardless, I still want out of the E-U. I`m just waiting for the referendum! (if I live that long!).

I did my "time" on Diesels that did 103rpm. produced 36000bhp and so much torque that it needed an output shaft 28" in dia!. Burning fuel that needed to be raised to 83degC before it would combust!. Emissions?? What emissions!!!.

Pete

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back