Uk rules for lying down while on the road (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Having to take local detours some days as animal rights protesters keep blocking a village back road outside a "beagle farm" - not sure what to call it.
Whenever there is a delivery due they all sit in the road - hence, when i read the title of this thread I can only think of people in sleeping bags "Lying down in the road"

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
From what I've seen of caravans turning to matchwood in a crash if she's lying on the bed and you crash I can't see that ending well
Not wanting to be a scare monger, that's why I prefer a van conversion to a coach built one. Monocoque chassis, tough as old boot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi Tea Bag

Back in the 80's I used to live in Lewisham (A2) the Jumbulances used to come through in pairs every Monday morning on their way to Lourdes I was on my way to work, and then back a few days later when I was on my way home.
I think people used to stay in Lourdes for a week, so they would bring back last weeks lot each time.

I've been to Lourdes many times since the mid 1980's, not for pilgrimage reasons, but for the simple reason it's the deepest you can get into the Pyrenees using public transport.
Multiple mountaineering expeditions have all started from there.

I always recommend Lourdes to anyone that wants to see the commercial side of Christianity, it's a real eye opener.
A religious theme park is about the closest explanation.

Thousands of very ill people each week descend on the town from not only from Europe, but from all over the world.
All in search of a cure from the magical waters.
Many come back, year after year.

The underground Basilica is stunning, Wimberley stadium underground, running masses on the hour every hour in multiple languages.

The streets and streets of shops selling religious tourist tat, I never knew there was a market for 3 foot high plastic Jesus figures that light up with multi coloured lights, or Jesus shaped water bottles, or 6 foot candles that will burn for a year, or rosaries that will say your prayers for you (please select language), and many many more.

An entire town built on the story of a teenage shepherd who claims to have seen the virgin Mary in a vision 150 years ago.
untill you mention the 3ft light up staues i had forgetten a story.one of my mates went to australia in the mid seventies doing it as cheap as possible the flights home were in stages at one point he woke up surounded by light up statues of both jesus and the madonna caried by fillipino pilgrims

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
Suggest you just stop and consider why we have a law on wearing seatbelts. It's to stop you getting seriously injured or killed. Simple as that.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle, as driven by Captain Scarlet, had driver and front passenger facing backwards to reduce injuries in the event of a head on crash. Both were able to see forward by virtue of a video screen.

I always thought that it was a good idea.

Gordon

Blue J

Free Member
Apr 20, 2016
PAISLEY
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2007
Why is it legal for tour buses and the mega bus ???

Jun 13, 2021
Pevensey Bay, Pevensey, UK
Funster No
MH
IH680 cfl
Exp
Weā€™re looking into a motor home if my health improves but currently Iā€™m unable to sit for longer than 5 minutes. Is there any loophole where you can lie in a bed but belted maybe while the motor home is on the road? Weā€™re in England so mainly Uk rules but if my health allows we would eventually be looking to travel further
Ambulance exempt?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How do they get round the rest period rules if theyā€™re sat in the seat, not sleeping?
It is still classed as 'rest'? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø I was only talking about it on Monday with the neighbor ,who practises his english, as he & his brother were doubled up from Friday to Monday. & no you cannot be sleeping in the bed whilst travelling. You have to be in the passenger seat. You can sleep there but not reclined or with your feet up.

Sep 19, 2018
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Suggest you just stop and consider why we have a law on wearing seatbelts. It's to stop you getting seriously injured or killed. Simple as that.
Oh, so seatbelts are able to stop injury or death? Perhaps reduce might be the right word?
We have really got tied up in our own mess haven't we? So your insurance won't pay out if you have an injury whilst in your pit? - then stay at home, that will solve the problem...
Compare this with riding anything two or three wheeled on our roads, much safer to be in bed in the moho I would say. But of course, if you get squished on your moped the insurance payout will revive you...

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
same with my wife.

I remember back in the day as a small kid I used to sleep on the back parcel shelf of the Zephyr my dad used to have on long journey...OOOOH The good /bad old days. Ive even been in the boot when not enough seats :unsure:

LOL
Me too ..in fact as a child i loved sitting in the boot in my dad's estate cars and did it whether there was a free seat or not šŸ˜

Thats what cruise control is for aint it ...i often lie in the back and let milo steer

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Me too ..in fact as a child i loved sitting in the boot in my dad's estate cars and did it whether there was a free seat or not šŸ˜

Thats what cruise control is for aint it ...i often lie in the back and let milo steer
we used to watch the road going past through the holes in the floor covered it up with cardboard and a mat when it was sold to a dealer šŸ˜±

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I donā€™t know about legal but , when my wife broke her leg in France, the doctors recommended that she have it checked by the doctor who carried out her knee replacements in the UK.

She had to travel home from France on the bed in the motorhome as she was was in a full leg splint and couldnā€™t fit into the cab seat.

The only query we had was from the UK border force who entered our m/h to check that she matched her passport photograph.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
We came back through Calais customs check in a tranny van, back in 94-95 the booze cruise days.
we must have had 100 cases of stubbies and loads of wine in the back along with some sparkling for the wedding, "open side door" says the customs as we drove up.
Door open, to reveal one of the lads, sat on a mattress on top of all the booze (personal use of course) .
The french customs bobby just shook his head and shut the door, "Move on"
:roflmto:

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
we used to watch the road going past through the holes in the floor covered it up with cardboard and a mat when it was sold to a dealer šŸ˜±
Yeah it's amazing what you got away with back in the 80's i remember my uncle bernard having an old citroen and there was a huge hole in the passenger floor ...he had a bit of scaffolding plank bolted through the floor and the seat screwed to it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ you could see the road through it and got sprayed with water from the front wheel if it was raining.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Yeah it's amazing what you got away with back in the 80's i remember my uncle bernard having an old citroen and there was a huge hole in the passenger floor ...he had a bit of scaffolding plank bolted through the floor and the seat screwed to it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ you could see the road through it and got sprayed with water from the front wheel if it was raining.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Really?
Totally illegal here in spain. Both drivers have to be in the seats.
Bus drivers use on board beds in Spain when they are double manning..BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Oh, so seatbelts are able to stop injury or death? Perhaps reduce might be the right word?
We have really got tied up in our own mess haven't we? So your insurance won't pay out if you have an injury whilst in your pit? - then stay at home, that will solve the problem...
Compare this with riding anything two or three wheeled on our roads, much safer to be in bed in the moho I would say. But of course, if you get squished on your moped the insurance payout will revive you...
Seat belts are one of the biggest life saving devices ever.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back