uk passport expiry.. France (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
travelling to France next week (flying) for 5 days but just realised my UK passport expires on 22 February 2022. Some govt sites say there should be at least 3 months validity left on passport. has anyone encountered problems at border control because of this?!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Only info i can pass on is that my wife follows a few Benidorm groups on facebook.
She has mentioned a few times that there were posts about people being turned back at the airport because they did not have enough time on their passport, also something about the date they are issued and not adding extra time on..

Best to double check the rules, maybe call the airline (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
travelling to France next week (flying) for 5 days but just realised my UK passport expires on 22 February 2022. Some govt sites say there should be at least 3 months validity left on passport. has anyone encountered problems at border control because of this?!
Yes, six months is also the norm these days,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
I have looked at advice again. Three months validity is a recommendation not a requirement. If you have proof that you are returning to the Uk before your passport expires then that is fine. Problem is you are in the hands of a border force officer!!

Upvote 0

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I have looked at advice again. Three months validity is a recommendation not a requirement. If you have proof that you are returning to the Uk before your passport expires then that is fine. Problem is you are in the hands of a border force officer!!
Sec 1.5 [starting at Page 15] of the Border Guard's Technical Manual continues at the top of Page 17:

'do not interrogate the traveller as a potential criminal or illegal immigrant.
All questions should be well balanced and asked in a friendly way;
– questions posed by the traveller should not be considered as intrusive and
should be answered in a factual and polite manner.'

Steve

Upvote 0

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
When was your passport issued?

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
This should tell you:

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2018
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
3year
Two friends of mine caught out going to France this week; Not allowed to board aircraft as has extra time added at last passport renewal but that doesn't count. And the 3 months is after the expected return to UK, not from arrival in EU. It is expected you will be there 3 months, even for a weekend trip. So trip out needs to be 9 years 6 months from passport issue date, not expiry, to be safe

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Sec 1.5 [starting at Page 15] of the Border Guard's Technical Manual continues at the top of Page 17:

'do not interrogate the traveller as a potential criminal or illegal immigrant.
All questions should be well balanced and asked in a friendly way;
– questions posed by the traveller should not be considered as intrusive and
should be answered in a factual and polite manner.'

Steve

Tell that to US Immigration!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries