Rally Chat UK parking in Towns / Cities etc. (1 Viewer)

Mar 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok so this might be a daft question to some but is there such a thing as a data base to let MH owners know if there are spaces to park in towns and cities. I don't mean stopovers just a place to park and have an hour or two visit. Constructive replies welcome. Please move topic if it's not in the right forum.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Many forward thinking Councils have their own, Blackpool for instance tells you which car parks you can overnight in, used to cost a fiver and there’s one very near to the Tower, Lytham St Anne’s is another to name but two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Parkopedia is an online resource for car parking used in conjunction with street view you can usually work out if you could fit in or if there are barriers. A lot of places have a designated lorry park which tend to have spaces during the day.
If you do find something more specific for a few hours visit - not overnight - please pass it on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Ok so this might be a daft question to some but is there such a thing as a data base to let MH owners know if there are spaces to park in towns and cities. I don't mean stopovers just a place to park and have an hour or two visit. Constructive replies welcome. Please move topic if it's not in the right forum.
As mentioned above there was. Brief details of why I closed it are Here.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A phone call to the local council might also pay dividends. Most (all?) have parking officers or someone who knows about TPOs and the like. Only once have I encountered a "jobsworth", others have been wonderful. One even said that officially sleeping / cooking was not allowed in vehicles so to be discrete, also if we parked in spaces "w,x,y and z" he would notify the security people that we were there and had permission to use more than one space. Lovely flat spaces and a security camera so we felt very safe. We were only there for a few hours during late evening just getting a few zzzzz whilst waiting for the ferry.

One place I called (in advance) and they organised someone with a key to lift the barrier for us. We arranged both arrival and departure times in advance which was a bit of a nuisance but we knew the van was secure.

We have been known to park in out of town shopping centres (well away from the shops) and use the bus to get into town - not on busy days of course - but some have maximum stay times. As long as I buy in the centre shops (and I do as a "thank you") and there is plenty of other parking near the shops I don't see an issue and have never had a parking notice or the like.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
For Edinburgh the P&R near the airport was the one to use for going into the city. Buses and trams stop there.

No overnight stays and they do enforce that.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Seems you offered a good deal of info for no gain.Its a shame some parts of the web aren't the same.
Thank you. I wouldn't say no gain. I have done voluntary work of one form or another for most of the last 60 years and it brings its own reward which just happens to be in a form other than cash.
Being retired I had the time but other people need to make a living so necessarily charge for the time and money they put in to creating and maintaining their web sites.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Just the correct details of who to call at the council along with phone numbers is helpful - but maybe contravenes data protection.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just the correct details of who to call at the council along with phone numbers is helpful - but maybe contravenes data protection.
Councils need to ensure they keep up to date when staff change and many use generic names (e.g. Parking Team). However, there would not be any contravention of Data Protection legislation by using individual names as it identifies people acting in a professional capacity, not personal.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I wonder how many people would actually want their name put out there, different if it’s your own buisness etc but for an organisation a bit different.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I wonder how many people would actually want their name put out there, different if it’s your own buisness etc but for an organisation a bit different.

When working for a very old fashioned organisation my name was listed with the occupation of "company servant". All senior staff were listed on the same way from the CEO down to senior clerk.

If your name is "out there" and as long as things are updated there is no problem and it can help prospective employers to check out your cv very cheaply and quickly.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just strange we are told to be secure with information etc, yet putting your name out there would be ok. I would not want it if it was me.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What really pesses me off is when you go to the trouble of searching out the local park and ride. You then find they have 2.5 mt height barriers. You couldn't make it up :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I was a Data Protection and FoI Officer I always sent out letters in my name/position because that was the respectful way to do it. email address was generic so that colleagues could manage the account during periods of annual leave.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Contcted our local council, Hull, asking for somewhere for a motorhoming friend to park while visiting the 'city of culture' 2017 still waiting for a response :mad::mad::mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back