UK Motorhome parking Camping-Car Park may be of interest? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My van is taxed, MOT'd and insured and parked in the street - I sleep overnight in the van.

What law have I broken ?

The Act clearly allows sleeping for holidaymakers albeit in limited numbers and days.

Unless there is a clealy signed prohibition can you be prosecuted for any parking offence ?

How many times must I repeat it? The 1960 Act controls off street land (which is what car parks - the subject of the last few posts - are). Highways are governed by separate legislation as I explained only 2 days ago on post #364. Clear enough now?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
How many times must I repeat it? The 1960 Act controls off street land (which is what car parks - the subject of the last few posts - are). Highways are governed by separate legislation as I explained only 2 days ago on post #364. Clear enough now?

The 1960 Act allows hollidaymakers to stop overnight - where would that be Graham?

You didn't answer the one about parking (legally) on the highway either.

Any restrictions for parking have to be clearly signposted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham

I consider that in S. 35(1) (ii) 'conditions' should be read sui generis with in particular S. 35(1) (i) ''the vehicles or class of vehicles' and further should be considered sui generis with the provisions of the Act in general in respect of vehicles.

With reference to your comment

"It may be worth undertaking some study in to how to read and interpret statute law before coming to conclusions as to what it means. It does help"

I suggest you check people's qualifications before such comment, and in this case I invite you to withdraw it.

Geoff
I have checked.
The only source I have to check your qualifications is your profile, which gives no indication of legal training. Your misinterpretation of S35 suggested no such training. If you do have legal qualifications then of course I withdraw it.

It is perfectly clear that S35 gives LAs the power to specify the conditions on which parking places may be used.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The 1960 Act allows hollidaymakers to stop overnight - where would that be Graham?
https://www.gjh.me.uk/mhpark/act1960.htm - as posted time after time
You didn't answer the one about parking (legally) on the highway either.
https://www.gjh.me.uk/mhpark/roads.htm - as last posted two days ago
Any restrictions for parking have to be clearly signposted.
Who suggested anything differently?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This is not your personal post and nobody is compelling you. I would prefer to hear more suggestions of what people could do to move this forward.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
https://www.gjh.me.uk/mhpark/act1960.htm - as posted time after time

https://www.gjh.me.uk/mhpark/roads.htm - as last posted two days ago

Who suggested anything differently?

Your links are from your own site - but unless parking becomes a 'problem' to the LA nothing can be done - quite right.

The Caravan Sites Act was not meant for those of us who may or may not use sites but need to just stop overnight and the exemption in the Act confirms this.

Caravans are either - kept on a drive, a storage site or a campsite. They only time they travel is between them. The van is sited and the towing vehicle used as transport. Some motorhomes are used the same way.

Those of us that prefer to travel and not tow a vehicle just need 'stops' - that's what Aires provide.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm all for CCP having a go in the UK but if they try and do it on the French model I think it will difficult for them.
In France they provide up market Aires with EHU, WiFi, and Servicing. Trying to do this in the UK would give costly inverstructure problems and probably run foul of the LA's control freaks.
All we need are simple Aires a water tap and a dump point would be nice which but not essential.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
In France they provide up market Aires with EHU, WiFi, and Servicing. Trying to do this in the UK would give costly inverstructure problems...........
All we need are simple Aires a water tap and a dump point would be nice which but not essential.

In the overall scheme of things wouldn’t have thought the cost of EHU and Wi-fi as an addition to the barrier installation would be that great, and without it CCP wouldn’t have a premium product for a relatively premium price. Simple aires imply minimum or no return on effort and investment.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
In the overall scheme of things wouldn’t have thought the cost of EHU and Wi-fi as an addition to the barrier installation would be that great, and without it CCP wouldn’t have a premium product for a relatively premium price. Simple aires imply minimum or no return on effort and investment.
I disagree, I think it should be kept as simple as possible, just a stopover not a site.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This is not your personal post and nobody is compelling you. I would prefer to hear more suggestions of what people could do to move this forward.
Quite agree the original post was to advertise the sterling work of CAMpRA and they continue to gather momentum and support, only today someone has posted they have recently put two hardstandings on their plot in the isles and Motorhomes are welcome.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Quite agree the original post was to advertise the sterling work of CAMpRA and they continue to gather momentum and support, only today someone has posted they have recently put two hardstandings on their plot in the isles and Motorhomes are welcome.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Yes but niether of these are CCP, this what we need not a poor relation of the caravan clubs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree wholeheartedly, this is not my personal thread. However, when I am asked the same questions over and over again it becomes somewhat tedious.
Perhaps I should just ignore questions and requests for clarification in future.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Your links are from your own site
So what? It was the obvious place to store the facts so that they could be referred to. The articles contain the information you requested so what would be the point of rewriting it?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
So what? It was the obvious place to store the facts so that they could be referred to. The articles contain the information you requested so what would be the point of rewriting it?

Have you ever mentioned the exemption for travellers allowed in the Caravan Act ?

It would have stopped the seemingly endless discussion about habitation and camping.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have checked.
The only source I have to check your qualifications is your profile, which gives no indication of legal training. Your misinterpretation of S35 suggested no such training. If you do have legal qualifications then of course I withdraw it.

It is perfectly clear that S35 gives LAs the power to specify the conditions on which parking places may be used.

Graham

You seem to think that any conditions can be imposed. I contend that only conditions relating to the vehicles may be imposed and that any condition relating to the behaviour of the occupants is not authorised and would be considered unreasonable within the context and scope of the Act. We shall have to leave it at that.

As to what is in my profile, it is not intended as a CV, and as such does not include my professional flying qualifications and experience. I accept your withdrawal of remarks which impuned my other qualifications. Your withdrawal avoids a reference to Jim.

Geoff

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes but niether of these are CCP, this what we need not a poor relation of the caravan clubs.
As I previously stated they are working with a variety of providers which I believe is good as it’s good for campers and competition to keep any prices as low as possible.😊

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
As to what is in my profile, it is not intended as a CV, and as such does not include my professional flying qualifications and experience. I accept your withdrawal of remarks which impuned my other qualifications. Your withdrawal avoids a reference to Jim.

Geoff

I suggest you provide evidence of your current legal & flying qualifications so other posters do not risk impuning you.

Quite what any flying qualification has to do with the Act in question is a mystery though.

Reminds me of a Funster once who claimed to fly for EasyJet or Ryanair, he made a fatal mistake suggesting he'd just landed somewhere in his Easyjet B738 or Ryanair A321 . . . . :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I suggest you provide evidence of your current legal & flying qualifications so other posters do not risk impuning you.

Quite what any flying qualification has to do with the Act in question is a mystery though.

Reminds me of a Funster once who claimed to fly for EasyJet or Ryanair, he made a fatal mistake suggesting he'd just landed somewhere in his Easyjet B738 or Ryanair A321 . . . . :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.
With the greatest respect this is your first post on this thread don’t you think it’s a bit inflammatory?
We are discussing Motorhome parking in UK and it’s been a very interesting thread it would be nice to keep the discussion going with folk that perhaps do have knowledge of the law but I don’t think it necessary to ask anyone to post their qualifications it’s not a court of law🤔😊

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
With the greatest respect this is your first post on this thread don’t you think it’s a bit inflammatory?
We are discussing Motorhome parking in UK and it’s been a very interesting thread it would be nice to keep the discussion going with folk that perhaps do have knowledge of the law but I don’t think it necessary to ask anyone to post their qualifications it’s not a court of law🤔😊

I know what the term '' with the greatest respect '' often means . . .

With the utmost respect would have been more appropriate.

No, I do not think it's a bit inflammatory, I suggest it's inquisitive in nature & made in an attempt to gain factual information & knowledge

It seems very much like a court of law to me, points of parking & camping law are being discussed are they not ?

If I claimed to be a qualified person in any field & someone asked for evidence to substantiate my claim I would not hesitate to provide the evidence requested, then everyone knows for a fact that I'm qualified to talk about the particular subject in question.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

No, I do not think it's a bit inflammatory, I suggest it's inquisitive in nature & made in an attempt to gain factual information & knowledge

It seems very much like a court of law to me, points of parking & camping law are being discussed are they not ?

If I claimed to be a qualified person in any field & someone asked for evidence to substantiate my claim I would not hesitate to provide the evidence requested, then everyone knows for a fact that I'm qualified to talk about the particular subject in question.

As far as I can see neither of those things happened.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

Are you the grammar police as well?🙄 Shall we get this back on track
A post from CAMpRA today :

Well things could be happening! Response from my MP to an email I sent.
Just in;
Dear Mr
Thank you for the two emails you sent me.
I am just making you aware that the Treasury has been contacted and the Department for Transport. When we have had a response I will be in contact to update you.
Kind regards,
-------------------------------
Can't ask for any more than have my emails directed towards the right departments. Well done MP Anne Marie Trevelyan and her team.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you ever mentioned the exemption for travellers allowed in the Caravan Act ?

It would have stopped the seemingly endless discussion about habitation and camping.
If you have read the article I referenced previously you would not have to ask that. It has been in there since the article was first written, years ago.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
If you have read the article I referenced previously you would not have to ask that. It has been in there since the article was first written, years ago.

Then why have you repeatedly insisted that sleeping in a parked motorhome is camping and not allowed for in the Act ?

The Act was clearly about regulating caravan sites not holidaymakers wishing to stop overnight.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Then why have you repeatedly insisted that sleeping in a parked motorhome is camping and not allowed for in the Act ?

The Act was clearly about regulating caravan sites not holidaymakers wishing to stop overnight.
Enough is enough. I am sick and tired of playing silly games.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Goods vehicles over 3500kg have to have a tachograph and drivers have to stick to safe driving hours including sleep and rest. Motorhomes of the same weight and quite often driven by less experienced drivers can be driven non stop with no breaks quite legally. To be safe we need places we can easily go for a break or sleep!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Enough is enough. I am sick and tired of playing silly games.

Silly games ?

I bought my Burstner 10 years ago only to give my late wife some quality of life - she was terminally ill with MSA. The van gave her an accessible toilet, somewhere to rest and a chance to 'get out'.

I remember the scornfull looks when I legally parked it in order to push her in her wheelchair along a seafront....

....Trying to get from a campsite to a pub/restaurant in the pitch black, having to drive there from a CL becauses there was no pavement. Parking at the far end of a supermarket carpark was the norm.

Try pushing a wheelchair over muddy ground or gravel on a site or CL.

All some of us want is access to village and town centres - and to stay the night and move on, not to camp......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back