UK Motorhome parking Camping-Car Park may be of interest? (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I don't care who does it -I would support any reasonable proposition; I just wish 'you know who' would let them......
So would I. but it is a sad reflection of the current UK attitude, that no one here has had the forward thinking?. With "Chinese Virus" and the Ongoing restrictions associated with it. "Staycationing" as they call it is with us for a fair few years yet IMHO. It has, as I have said before, been mooted with the CC, that, where the space exists, they could supplement their income by utilising the "late arrivals area`s". but that went down like a lead balloon at conference.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think, the increase in interest in Motor-homing, has brought it to the point where the legislation needs to be re-visited?. As I`ve said many times, here and elsewhwere (including to my M-P BTW.) The line between "Camping" and "Sleeping" definitely needs to be revisited. This would remove the "we cannot do it because" argument from the L-A`s. When the more progressive might reconsider?. That however would preclude anything being done by ERCC. They still live in the 18th Cent;.
Fine. Then do something about it as I said in the post you commented on.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So how does that work then? They withdraw it from the Town Hall Purse and then repay it straight back in,it doesn’t seem like the same contribution we all make.
What part of "Business rates are collected by local authorities but (apart from some subject to the fairly recently introduced retention scheme) they are paid over to central government." is unclear?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are 260 posts on this thread so far, 23 are by yourself GJH , given your vast experience in theses matters it might have been helpful if you could have given any positive advice, but I can't find one. Am I wrong?
The one you commented on for a start. Just because you don't like the content it doesn't mean it isn't positive.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As I mentioned they have a group on Face Book which you won’t join so you are unable to see the conversations and outcomes.😊
They do not have a web site🤔
No web site? Really? What is https://www.campra.org.uk/ then?
I gave my reason for not joining several days ago. Subsequent posts have vindicated that decision as far as I can see.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Just a thought as it’s always being said about Aires in France and how good it is and how its welcome over there. Well the home owners over there pay about a 1/3 of the council tax that a uk home owner pays , how about reducing council tax to the same amount here and the Aires could make up the short fall. It would then be in comparison to France. Just a thought.
I wish that was correct. I pay over 1500 euros 'council tax' in France and that's in a village of 90 people with no facilities except rubbish collection. I pay £1400 council tax in UK.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The one you commented on for a start. Just because you don't like the content it doesn't mean it isn't positive.

This is your idea of positive advice!

I really don't understand why you are not encouraging this - you spent years on a website that advised people where they could 'stretch' the rules - yet this is a step further , creation of legitimate aires with no confusion or grey areas.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Fine. Then do something about it as I said in the post you commented on.
Unfortunately. Even my M-P showed little "enthusiasm" for the idea, I got the "usual" letter of "we are taking this on board", but never anything else. So my assumption is it went in the "waste basket". That was some years ago now, the comment is likely still on Jim`s Server somewhere. The circumstances currently have changed somewhat with the increase in the numbers of Motorhome users. My view is that it will still take the likes of a Motivated Commercial Organisation, such as this, Camping Park. To perhaps Kick start the UK government and or L-A`s out of their slumbers. Lets face it, On recent evidence unless you are prepared to "riot". Gov`t takes very little notice of "people power", even petitions on their own website see very little if anything change.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016

I really don't understand why you are not encouraging this - you spent years on a website that advised people where they could 'stretch' the rules - yet this is a step further , creation of legitimate aires with no confusion or grey areas.

From what I have seen over the years, GJH has freely offered advice, only to be shot down because of it.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No web site? Really? What is https://www.campra.org.uk/ then?
I gave my reason for not joining several days ago. Subsequent posts have vindicated that decision as far as I can see.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for pointing that out my mistake I did not look as they are on facebook.
It’s your decision and I respect that however you are very negative about the aires and as far as I can see you will not be changed so I will avoid replying to your posts to save any grief.😊

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

This was part of why we disagreed, far from telling people how to stretch the rules, he is a slave to rules, and his website only told you where you could PARK in the daytime, not night, not much use for anything really.
And not having any experience of real Aires, he couldn't understand any other view.
But the things he is bringing up in this thread is different.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

What is negative about stating facts and pointing out that, until it is changed the law as it stands has to be followed? It is utterly stupid to ignore reality.
My web site advised people where they could act legally. It never advised people "where they could 'stretch' the rules" - I left that to those that promote pub car parks &c that do break the rules.

You don't understand why I do not join Campra? Look to your post content again and what I said at post #193:
I have and saw Rule 2 "Your post and the replies if deemed to be detrimental to the aims of this group will therefore be removed. Please continue to post in support of our aims in a positive way".
i.e. "Don't dare point out practical obstacles or the need to take into account that others in society have different views or you are out" - same attitude as XR to the press as demonstrated a week or two ago.
Suffered enough of that self centred attitude from posters in this and other forums to bother, thank you :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for pointing that out my mistake I did not look as they are on facebook.
It’s your decision and I respect that however you are very negative about the aires and as far as I can see you will not be changed so I will avoid replying to your posts to save any grief.😊
Not negative about aires, merely about those who ignore the facts that surround provision of aires in the UK.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This was part of why we disagreed, far from telling people how to stretch the rules, he is a slave to rules, and his website only told you where you could PARK in the daytime, not night, not much use for anything really.
And not having any experience of real Aires, he couldn't understand any other view.
But the things he is bringing up in this thread is different.
The web site was deliberately set up to help people to find places to park in the daytime rather than camp overnight. The positive feedback received confirmed that it was of use to some if not all.

OP
OP
Speve
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
A link with a survey and intererestingly at the end asking for people with expertise in a list of topics ((GJH)
LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO HAVE YOUR SAY!!
Good morning Everyone. Please could I urge you to complete the survey? It's not perfect, and there are some questions that might not apply to you but, please, just choose the most relevant response. You won't be held to ransome - we just need to demonstrate to the Government, Local government, all the other powers that be and any potential providers, that there is a demand for Aires.
Steve Haywood has put a monumental amount of effort into producing this survey and testing it out - he is on holiday but has spent vast amounts of his time working on this so please support him and the rest of us.
Also, if you are a member of another group who you feel this survey will apply to, please share it.
Thanks in anticipation

This link will not work if you have already completed survey.😊

Tracey https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://campra.org.uk/survey/index.php?r=survey%2Findex&sid=181241&lang=en&fbclid=IwAR3j3YKv0-QuGTq2MbD75frFE77OV607qLNu8sn72Fu_POObDi6m5fwdXrw&h=AT2evTQ-9rdbsyeVp1L-lmKALyrZHan2S_tpPDIySS9DG-dMUguLr4ZU24nXtCg4KmMKicY2u4nQD-RNCKlkGMWkGiyTLguLzq-yInv-5ZKwmYFn31Gcqo0fRBR7neCMcw&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT03f8xi28kuTTaw4EaH6X9fQizRw3QIRppnT-GolTc2ZFg_my3L-Drcd5hqwWGfQZXZ8QlsRBqzsLaZghubjY_TLLaoxfL5C6i5NQpvTPqs4tsEMcsclQEPLE5ExEZVTKB_nYJW5-qwMlfglYP7TtTy0Q

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A link with a survey and intererestingly at the end asking for people with expertise in a list of topics ((GJH)
LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO HAVE YOUR SAY!!
Good morning Everyone. Please could I urge you to complete the survey? It's not perfect, and there are some questions that might not apply to you but, please, just choose the most relevant response. You won't be held to ransome - we just need to demonstrate to the Government, Local government, all the other powers that be and any potential providers, that there is a demand for Aires.
Steve Haywood has put a monumental amount of effort into producing this survey and testing it out - he is on holiday but has spent vast amounts of his time working on this so please support him and the rest of us.
Also, if you are a member of another group who you feel this survey will apply to, please share it.
Thanks in anticipation

This link will not work if you have already completed survey.😊

Tracey https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://campra.org.uk/survey/index.php?r=survey%2Findex&sid=181241&lang=en&fbclid=IwAR3j3YKv0-QuGTq2MbD75frFE77OV607qLNu8sn72Fu_POObDi6m5fwdXrw&h=AT2evTQ-9rdbsyeVp1L-lmKALyrZHan2S_tpPDIySS9DG-dMUguLr4ZU24nXtCg4KmMKicY2u4nQD-RNCKlkGMWkGiyTLguLzq-yInv-5ZKwmYFn31Gcqo0fRBR7neCMcw&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT03f8xi28kuTTaw4EaH6X9fQizRw3QIRppnT-GolTc2ZFg_my3L-Drcd5hqwWGfQZXZ8QlsRBqzsLaZghubjY_TLLaoxfL5C6i5NQpvTPqs4tsEMcsclQEPLE5ExEZVTKB_nYJW5-qwMlfglYP7TtTy0Q
Even though I don't think this CCP thing is the best for Aires in UK, I would be willing to fill up this thing but if it involves anything To do with Facebook I am not interested , is this the only way it can be accessed?

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Even though I don't think this CCP thing is the best for Aires in UK, I would be willing to fill up this thing but if it involves anything To do with Facebook I am not interested , is this the only way it can be accessed?
Here you go

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Yes, tho I’m not a Facebook participant I completed the survey.
Hopefully some good will come from it

carthorse

Free Member
Sep 13, 2018
Gods own
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T67s
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Yep done can't hurt the more ammunition campra have the stronger their case

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Pity the survey repeatedly mentions "parking" when it is referring to "camping". As said before, if they can't get the basics right (even after putting "a monumental amount of effort into producing this survey and testing it out") they will find it difficult (at the least) to make progress.
That is not a negative comment, it is a fact.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Pity the survey repeatedly mentions "parking" when it is referring to "camping". As said before, if they can't get the basics right (even after putting "a monumental amount of effort into producing this survey and testing it out") they will find it difficult (at the least) to make progress.
That is not a negative comment, it is a fact.
I’m not going back through the whole thread, but for clarity, does your use of the term ‘parking’ include sleeping? My understanding from using the French aire system is that ‘parking’ included sleeping, but excludes things like tables/chairs, awnings etc., indeed I think if also doesn’t include opening hinged windows in some places. Camping permits this sort of thing, albeit sometimes within very restricted boundaries.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I’m not going back through the whole thread, but for clarity, does your use of the term ‘parking’ include sleeping? My understanding from using the French aire system is that ‘parking’ included sleeping, but excludes things like tables/chairs, awnings etc., indeed I think if also doesn’t include opening hinged windows in some places. Camping permits this sort of thing, albeit sometimes within very restricted boundaries.
Don't get him started :doh: but what he says on this thread is right, in France you can park and sleep almost anywhere, here it would be called camping and not the same thing at all.
And that's the difference that holds us back.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't get him started :doh: but what he says on this thread is right, in France you can park and sleep almost anywhere, here it would be called camping and not the same thing at all.
And that's the difference that holds us back.
And what's more this CCP thing is going to make it worse not better, even in France you can see it's the thin end of the wedge in removing the old type Aires, when they get all these formal Aires where the council's are getting a draw, parking anywhere else will be removed.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
And what's more this CCP thing is going to make it worse not better, even in France you can see it's the thin end of the wedge in removing the old type Aires, when they get all these formal Aires where the council's are getting a draw, parking anywhere else will be removed.

Can't stop what they are doing in France (but it will only be the larger most popular Aires that they will be interested in)

Here we have nothing - CCP may be the only way we get anything.... (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't stop what they are doing in France (but it will only be the larger most popular Aires that they will be interested in)

Here we have nothing - CCP may be the only way we get anything.... (y)
CCP is going to be nothing else but a third caravan club but with council's haveing a draw out of them, nothing like being able to just park and sleep anywhere as original Aires were.
What we need is this parking and camping thing changed, that would be worth getting done but there isn't a hope in hell.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
CCP is going to be nothing else but a third caravan club but with council's haveing a draw out of them, nothing like being able to just park and sleep anywhere as original Aires were.
What we need is this parking and camping thing changed, that would be worth getting done but there isn't a hope in hell.

But CCPs sites will be in town, city and tourist locations where they can maximise usage/income - not out in the sticks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back