LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Loads of issues surrounding this so happy to pick up any thoughts or suggestions - preferably ones that help towards the goal, rather than suggesting something completely different e.g. going to France or buying a Hymer ;)

So - here we go ...

My wife is hooked on stuff that requires a 3G data connection (EE as it happens). I've tried looking at the EE and Ofcom websites but for some reason all the sites with EHU tend to be right on the edges of the good coverage. So, assuming there's no other way to be sure other than ringing them up, the questions are -

Q1. Would the site manager usually know if his site had full EE 3G coverage.
Q2. Can you specifically ask for and get pitch with a view (of the mobile phone mast) ;)
Q3. If you've booked for a week and find out it doesn't have said coverage can you expect to get a refund and leave?
Q4. Is there any way of boosting your mobile reception? I've tried little stickers under the battery without noticing too much improvement, an external aerial would be nice but no obvious way of connecting (Galaxy SIII & S5).
Q5. I really don't want to shell out for an additional data sim, is it possible to slip the existing sim into a mifi and if so would the mifi have better reception than a phone?
Q6. Are there any other websites that would help i.e. have site reviews that specifically included mobile reception?

Thanks for reading - any helpful thoughts/answers? :)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Q.5
Pretty sure you cannot put a phone SIM in a MIFI device

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Q.4
Put your phone in the best spot in the van for a signal, then tether other devices.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Loads of issues surrounding this so happy to pick up any thoughts or suggestions - preferably ones that help towards the goal, rather than suggesting something completely different e.g. going to France or buying a Hymer ;)
:D

So - here we go ...

My wife is hooked on stuff that requires a 3G data connection (EE as it happens). I've tried looking at the EE and Ofcom websites but for some reason all the sites with EHU tend to be right on the edges of the good coverage. So, assuming there's no other way to be sure other than ringing them up, the questions are -

Q1. Would the site manager usually know if his site had full EE 3G coverage.
You can check if its available there via the online checker as mentioned above.

Q2. Can you specifically ask for and get pitch with a view (of the mobile phone mast) ;)
Assuming there is one and subject to you checking as per 1. above.

Q3. If you've booked for a week and find out it doesn't have said coverage can you expect to get a refund and leave?
Refer to 1. above - I think they'd be unlikely to refund unless you made it totally clear to them when you booked that this was a condition of you doing so!

Q4. Is there any way of boosting your mobile reception? I've tried little stickers under the battery without noticing too much improvement, an external aerial would be nice but no obvious way of connecting (Galaxy SIII & S5).
You could try sitting on top of your MH!!! :D

Q5. I really don't want to shell out for an additional data sim, is it possible to slip the existing sim into a mifi and if so would the mifi have better reception than a phone?
No - they'd cut it off if they found out and they DO find out! Its not allowed to stop people buying 'unlimited data' phone sims and using them in a MIFI.

Q6. Are there any other websites that would help i.e. have site reviews that specifically included mobile reception?
Not that I'm aware of, but others may know - refer to 1. above.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Have you seen the size of your list, surely the answer is staring you in the face, ditch the wife.
So you think it's safe to say that - just because you're in Macclesfield??

If you get a knock on your door and it's anybody looking vaguely like this ... it's probably not the Jehovahs witnesses but you may wish to pretend to be out anyway! ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suggest get a payg sim card for Three and a mifi with an external aerial. This will ensure in areas where EE isn't "everywhere" then you have an alternative.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So you think it's safe to say that - just because you're in Macclesfield??

If you get a knock on your door and it's anybody looking vaguely like this ... it's probably not the Jehovahs witnesses but you may wish to pretend to be out anyway! ;)

I'll go and get another tin of Brasso.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back