UK Driving Licence Maybe Not Valid in EU (Guardian) (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just seen this in the Guardian. At first I thought pure scare mongering, but I'm not so sure.

British drivers may need new licences and registration certificates to travel in Europe after Brexit under contingency plans being drawn up by the government that experts warn would create “extremely labour-intensive” extra red tape.
Officials have insisted that it was not the government’s intention for UK drivers to need IDPs in Europe, but in an EU notice issued last month, the European commission said: “A driving licence issued by the United Kingdom will no longer be recognised by the member states.”

Link to article:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-wave-of-red-tape-for-uk-drivers-and-hauliers

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
If I need an International Driving Permit, I will get one. No sweat. I used to have one but it expired ages ago. Same goes for a Green Card. And I still have a GB sticker.

Bring it on. :Grin:
I’ve still got an IDP and also a French Driving Licence. Both are valid in France. All I have to do is change the expiry date from 1995.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That article, even if the first premise might be broadly true, is written as a shameless piece of scaremongering in true Grauniad remoaner style.

It's perfectly possible and simple to get an IDP in the UK now as we're all fully aware so the second part of the story about "a costly new system" is nonsense.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As long as we do "like-for-like" on everything that they do, I'm in!

That's the other thing that remoaners refuse to acknowledge whenever this sort of scaremongering story appears. Whatever petty spitefulness the EU comes up with to try and "punish" can be reciprocated right back at them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think it would be more the trailer permit requirements that would be the problem. a maximum of 1224 for 300k journeys & the legislation states " rationing of those available " no mention of trying to increase the amount.:confused:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's perfectly possible and simple to get an IDP in the UK now as we're all fully aware so the second part of the story about "a costly new system" is nonsense.
I've no idea how to get one though so we don't all know ... I love my pink paper one! :love:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think it would be more the trailer permit requirements that would be the problem. a maximum of 1224 for 300k journeys & the legislation states " rationing of those available " no mention of trying to increase the amount.:confused:
That would be a reciprical problem as well, and would hurt EU more than us as we import far more than they take from us . It would also see an increase in container traffic, and vast increase in british truck drivers required

Another remain scare story , at the base of it . Many people seem to thinking how far can we take the paranoia , maybe EU wont allow winds to blow from south as they come from europe

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I've no idea how to get one though so we don't all know ... I love my pink paper one! :love:
I got one of those too, :) and I aint changing it until its runs out at age 70, its such a con this 10 year term plastic credit card style one. If they need ID then its on my overly charged £72 quid passport, which I am told is also going up!...justify that. Cant see Migrant Asylum Seekers having the money to get their UK passports somehow, so are we funding those I wonder?...
Les

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
That's the other thing that remoaners refuse to acknowledge whenever this sort of scaremongering story appears. Whatever petty spitefulness the EU comes up with to try and "punish" can be reciprocated right back at them.

And must be, as soon as they begin any stupid, spiteful games.
Like for like is an absolute must, not an option.
When Barnier and Co. come up with "punishments" our negotiator should be agreeing to them, making it clear that all "punishments" WILL work both ways.

Most of this shit is part of the not yet dead "project fear".

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

This is exactly what should happen. But I can't see our crack(ed) team on negotiators getting anything near a fair deal at the moment. Our leadership can't seem to agree on anything amongst themselves, let alone with the EU.

I wonder about this great repeal bill. The bill that writes all EU law into British law. At a guess, I'd say this would make an EU driving licence (for instance) legal in the UK?

Seems nobody on either side has considered anything reciprocal.

Whatever happened to "No deal is better than a bad deal".

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
This is exactly what should happen. But I can't see our crack(ed) team on negotiators getting anything near a fair deal at the moment. Our leadership can't seem to agree on anything amongst themselves, let alone with the EU.

I wonder about this great repeal bill. The bill that writes all EU law into British law. At a guess, I'd say this would make an EU driving licence (for instance) legal in the UK?

Seems nobody on either side has considered anything reciprocal.

Whatever happened to "No deal is better than a bad deal".
They have decided on the important bit....the EU related ECHR legislation is out from day one of real Brexit. The European crims right to Stay because they have a cat in the UK should be gone....

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I'm sorry if this reply is too "Brexit" for this particular forum, but I can't let the comments above pass without comment.

The reactions here (e.g. ..."petty spitefulness the EU comes up with to try and "punish" can be reciprocated right back at them". Or: "Another example as to why we actually need to get out of the EU, robbing, spiteful politics.") to this piece of news show to me how "Quitters" (how I'm henceforth denoting brexiteers) take any opportunity to bitterly accuse the EU of heinous treachery when in fact it is nothing of the sort.

What on earth do you expect? You leave the club and again demand that your membership benefits remain? A NON-EU British licence cannot be expected to be equivalent to an EU licence - especially when it will no longer be aligned to legislation required to be compliant. It really is simple logic, not "retribution": NON-EU <> EU.

Of course, needing to procure an IDP and additional insurance is not the end of the world, but it is just another straw on our backs. As we progress on this route, try to keep count of all the "trivial" burdens which will pile on us. Still not the end of the world, but life will unnecessarily become less smooth.

Further, it becoming more obvious to me that the move to exit the EU is driven by forces unaligned to the good of "the people".

As an example, I am predicting that, after we leave, our vehicle insurance which currently covers us for all the countries in the EU, will require additional premiums - and probably for each country.

Watch how vehicle breakdown costs will rise, and health insurance. The risks, of course, remain equivalent, but - we have to feed the beast!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
This is nothing new, we had to get one before joining the common market and I seem to remember right up to 1978.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I'm sorry if this reply is too "Brexit" for this particular forum, but I can't let the comments above pass without comment.

The reactions here (e.g. ..."petty spitefulness the EU comes up with to try and "punish" can be reciprocated right back at them". Or: "Another example as to why we actually need to get out of the EU, robbing, spiteful politics.") to this piece of news show to me how "Quitters" (how I'm henceforth denoting brexiteers) take any opportunity to bitterly accuse the EU of heinous treachery when in fact it is nothing of the sort.

What on earth do you expect? You leave the club and again demand that your membership benefits remain? A NON-EU British licence cannot be expected to be equivalent to an EU licence - especially when it will no longer be aligned to legislation required to be compliant. It really is simple logic, not "retribution": NON-EU <> EU.

Of course, needing to procure an IDP and additional insurance is not the end of the world, but it is just another straw on our backs. As we progress on this route, try to keep count of all the "trivial" burdens which will pile on us. Still not the end of the world, but life will unnecessarily become less smooth.

Further, it becoming more obvious to me that the move to exit the EU is driven by forces unaligned to the good of "the people".

As an example, I am predicting that, after we leave, our vehicle insurance which currently covers us for all the countries in the EU, will require additional premiums - and probably for each country.

Watch how vehicle breakdown costs will rise, and health insurance. The risks, of course, remain equivalent, but - we have to feed the beast!
as a brexiter i think its just as it should be .
yes we may keep some of the laws /rules etc . makes sense . driving licence well it could be acceptable till it runs out . after all its only a bit of paper . i dont know about now but some eu licences were different to ours anyway.
as to log books etc ours arent even like most eu ones .
leaving the eu should put uk in the same bracket as any other none eu country.
yes some are amalagamated or what ever , but once in and leave we should be tret like the countries that dont cooperate or what ever they want to call it .
lets get back to proper borders proper customs etc
thats what leaving should mean . no special deals ,...leave is leave.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
But the move to exit the EU was driven by the people.
After all it was 'the people' that voted for it, despite many of our 'leaders' advising against it.

Richard.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So EVERY visitor from ANYWHERE in the world will need a special driving licence/permit to drive in Europe and ALL temporary imported (holiday) vehicles will need a special registration document.

Scaremongering at its best.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is nothing new, we had to get one before joining the common market and I seem to remember right up to 1978.
& here in 2002 ,even with a plastic UK one ,they were still asking for an idp.:(But I'd expected it & had one:)

So EVERY visitor from ANYWHERE in the world will need a special driving licence/permit to drive in Europe and ALL temporary imported (holiday) vehicles will need a special registration document.

Scaremongering at its best.
Yes, they are the rules now. Any without intercountry agreements have to have idp's. It is also easier to get one to save any aggro.

Along with any registration plate that is not totally numerical , i.e . contains script , arabic , greek ,etc; to be used in any EU state has to apply for temporary registration plates , which in the UK these days are Q.
This is why all Moroccan trucks in the EU usually sport both French or spanish & Moroccan plates & why when the arabs import there cars for the summer to the UK they have to apply for plates otherwise it is an instant confiscation.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Mine predates even the pink paper ones.. It is the green paper type..
Runs out in 2020
Oh that modern thing. I have little red cardboard book. And I have a blue cardboard passport. I’ve had to cross out the old expiry date and carefully print in a new one, but I don’t think anyone will notice. I have a plastic back up in case they do though!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oh that modern thing. I have little red cardboard book. And I have a blue cardboard passport. I’ve had to cross out the old expiry date and carefully print in a new one, but I don’t think anyone will notice. I have a plastic back up in case they do though!
Still got my red book type one too..but every single page in it has a nice little stamp ..... I wa VERY errrrrrr... Boisterous lad !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back