UK Driving Licence Maybe Not Valid in EU (Guardian) (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
However beaurocratic the EC was/is (I was never a keen member) it doesn't follow that leaving the EC will somehow give power to the people. Power will remain in the hands of banks and the institutions that make up the power base of our society. To think that somehow power will pass to the people once the UK is out of the EC, is pure wishful thinking. At least when we were in the EC we had the benefit of the European Court to mitigate somewhat the excesses of our rulers who seek to limit freedoms at every turn.
Why will leaving the EC, of itself, give the people more control over our lives, PeteH?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Anyway, the rules of this august forum prevent discussion of Brexit other than in the U shaped lounge.
But just had to comment on the constant stream of invective against anyone who doesn't support Brexit on this thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
yes but many havnt been following the rules . thats why gus mentioned it .
many obscure where or didnt have the gb little bit on their number plates .

There is no repeat no gb bit in either upper or lower case on my number plate but it is quite legal as is my standard black and white GB sticker.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
There is no repeat no gb bit in either upper or lower case on my number plate but it is quite legal as is my standard black and white GB sticker.
i thought the standard is white with black GB. hee hee.
but many dont have any GB at all.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
My thoughts entirely
However beaurocratic the EC was/is (I was never a keen member) it doesn't follow that leaving the EC will somehow give power to the people. Power will remain in the hands of banks and the institutions that make up the power base of our society. To think that somehow power will pass to the people once the UK is out of the EC, is pure wishful thinking. At least when we were in the EC we had the benefit of the European Court to mitigate somewhat the excesses of our rulers who seek to limit freedoms at every turn.
Why will leaving the EC, of itself, give the people more control over our lives, PeteH?
the only people to gain out of all this brexit cr#p will be the rich and politicians that caused it . Us lower orders will end up paying more and then the blame game will start .......

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
i thought the standard is white with black GB. hee hee.
but many dont have any GB at all.

Ha Ha, I am well aware many with non standard plates fail to show an old fashioned GB plate as required but I prefer to avoid giving any plods an excuse to delay my travel

lee kelf

Free Member
Jan 7, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 7100i A Class
Exp
i,m a newbie
How does it work for the Swiss getting around Europe ??
I don`t think applying for an IDP if that`s going to be the case is any hardship personally.
Regarding Brexit i have my own views (i voted leave).
Quitters ? No way, I don`t think so, its simply UK Citizens happy to "Leave the club" as you call it,for the chance of a better UK where we have more say in how we all move forward for a better more prosperous United Kingdom.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Ha Ha, I am well aware many with non standard plates fail to show an old fashioned GB plate as required but I prefer to avoid giving any plods an excuse to delay my travel
i always have the GB sticker . same thoughts as you . i do have gb on my plastic number plates . but many really dont follow the rules at all.
its amazing so many get away with it .
mind i also have a st piran flag sticker . works wonders in brittany ,galecia , the basque area etc, .
gets me into some nice parkups with the locals .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
How does it work for the Swiss getting around Europe ??
I don`t think applying for an IDP if that`s going to be the case is any hardship personally.
Regarding Brexit i have my own views (i voted leave).
Quitters ? No way, I don`t think so, its simply UK Citizens happy to "Leave the club" as you call it,for the chance of a better UK where we have more say in how we all move forward for a better more prosperous United Kingdom.
the swiss were asked to recpognise the new eu type reg plates and eu countrie recognise theirs . its a deal they have like lots things .
we cant expect the same deals as we are leaving . so no deals is best just leave . they arent alone there are a few cooperating or associate countries or what ever they call them .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
What really makes me laugh,about Brexiteers, is the belief that somehow we (being the British people) will be regaining control or "sovereignty" as you put it, over our lives. Yeah right..........

Laugh all you like............you lost ................... but you just can't get over it

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
i always have the GB sticker . same thoughts as you . i do have gb on my plastic number plates . but many really dont follow the rules at all.
its amazing so many get away with it .
mind i also have a st piran flag sticker . works wonders in brittany ,galecia , the basque area etc, .
gets me into some nice parkups with the locals .
I had this on the back of my RV took me a while to figure it out :)
225px-Flag_of_Cornwall.svg.png

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I see in the news that the EU is now saying that thousands of haulage contractors HGV goods permits could be cancelled thus causing problems for UK haulage companies wanting to carry goods in the EU :cycle:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Oh dear, oh dear! It's been a while since I've read so many nasty comments and so much misinformed #rap in one thread. I thought for a minute that I had logged into Motorhome Facts :unsure:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I see in the news that the EU is now saying that thousands of haulage contractors HGV goods permits could be cancelled thus causing problems for UK haulage companies wanting to carry goods in the EU :cycle:

Then there will be much bigger problems for European Hauliers,,have you noticed at the ports probably Brit trucks are outnumbered at least 10 to 1,,,If we need permits so would they,,,Wonder who will be the losers,,BUSBY..

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
UK HGV drivers pay huge toll fee's in Europe, what do the European drivers pay when using the UK road network? Nothing, not a bean. Must be one of the things to change after exit? Would help pay for the upkeep of our crappy roads.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
UK HGV drivers pay huge toll fee's in Europe, what do the European drivers pay when using the UK road network? Nothing, not a bean. Must be one of the things to change after exit? Would help pay for the upkeep of our crappy roads.

They are charged a fee on entry to uk,,variable depending on vehicle size,,think artics pay about £10 a day,,,,BUSBY,,

Reactions: Mel
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

As from Apr 2014 foreign lorry drivers are charged up to £10 a day to drive their juggernauts on British roads. They have to pay this levy before driving an HGV that weighs 12,000kg or over into the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/hgv-levy

Pete

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Foreign lorry drivers are charged up to £10 a day to drive their juggernauts on British roads. They have to pay this levy before driving an HGV that weighs 12,000kg or over into the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/hgv-levy

Pete

And not before time. Now hike it in line with the EU Levy`s.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Laugh all you like............you lost ................... but you just can't get over it

Not sure what I've lost, nor what I can't get over. But I note you don't descend to answer the question I posed.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Barclaybasher-I'm not mocking anyone. If you read further on the thread, I asked how leaving the EC was going to lead to us (the people) getting more control.
I'm not interested in persuading you or anyone else about my opinion. Was just pointing out, in my view, how misguided Brexiteers are if they really think 'they' are going to regain anything.
Nothing for me to get over; nor lost anything.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So why the Bitching? You voted, You Lost, Suck it up and get on with it.

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

Credit The Eagles.
Why is it the leavers have to be abusive to everyone who doesn’t agree with them and keep saying “get over it”?
It’s soooo boring.

Deleted User
You didn't pose a question - you made a statement mocking 'Brexiteers'...............

I'm no expert on English grammar but I always thought that a sentence beginning with 'Why' and ending with a '?' was a question!:)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I'm no expert on English grammar but I always thought that a sentence beginning with 'Why' and ending with a '?' was a question!:)

My reply was to:

"What really makes me laugh,about Brexiteers, is the belief that somehow we (being the British people) will be regaining control or "sovereignty" as you put it, over our lives. Yeah right.........."

No 'Why' or question mark...........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back