UK Driving Licence Maybe Not Valid in EU (Guardian) (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Surely if that is the case (original post)same will apply to all foreign people coming to drive in our country--same problems for them?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Surely if that is the case (original post)same will apply to all foreign people coming to drive in our country--same problems for them?

I don't think that is the case Chris. I'm wondering is the Great Repeal Bill covers things like this, but only one way of course?

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I don't think that is the case Chris. I'm wondering is the Great Repeal Bill covers things like this, but only one way of course?
Thought that was the reason we were leaving the EU ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
That's ok. However, when we drove in Africa our UK licence was perfectly acceptable. So it would seem to me that it ought to be possible for it to be accepted by the EU. However, if not. That's ok.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
We all voted for a better UK.
Just a pity it won't be delivered.
Independent and alone not relying on being helped by the EU.
Why get uptight when we are treated the same as any other non EU country with no treaties in place.
Once we have fully left then we can start to make agreements with the EU to get slowly back in as we will all realise the grass is not greener alone.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Why get uptight when we are treated the same as any other non EU country with no treaties in place.
Once we have fully left then we can start to make agreements with the EU to get slowly back in as we will all realise the grass is not greener alone.
but we voted to leave and leave means being like the other countries in the world that arent in the eu.
thats what we voted for . nothing was hidden .
anyone that likes the eu could apply to live there . we arent stopping anyone leaving . just dont want eu folk coming in to uk to work live etc . not really bothered if they dont holiday either.
the grass is greener in uk . there as been poems and books all about it .
its one of the nicer things to come back to from europe .
the green green grass of home .always been greener.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its difficult trying to deal with spiteful puerile people , when any pragmatic , and reasonable person would acknowledge that certain mutually beneficial agreements irrelevant to trade should continue as it has worked for the last 40 years. I bet they would still like to access DVLA for fine collection info ?

My driving licence ,seemed quite Ok in Australia, South Africa, Singapore etc etc .

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
International Driving Permits are only multi-lingual versions of your normal licence, (it counts for the square root of sod all) which has to be carried for validation purposes too.
I used to drive across Europe before the EUssr existed (when the earths crust was still cooling and the Fourth Reich was just a German dream) and all you needed was a 'green card' insurance certificate, along with the docs you need now ie, passport, ordinary driving licence, vehicle docs, authority letter for non-owner drivers etc.
If the EUssr wants to really turn itself into a full-blown version of Russia, visa's, IDL's, restricted currency et al, it can be reciprocal and hurt them more than anyone else! Has Ireland dug a tunnel from Europe bypassing the UK yet? as 80% of Irelands trade with the EUssr uses UK roads.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I'm sorry if this reply is too "Brexit" for this particular forum, but I can't let the comments above pass without comment.

The reactions here (e.g. ..."petty spitefulness the EU comes up with to try and "punish" can be reciprocated right back at them". Or: "Another example as to why we actually need to get out of the EU, robbing, spiteful politics.") to this piece of news show to me how "Quitters" (how I'm henceforth denoting brexiteers) take any opportunity to bitterly accuse the EU of heinous treachery when in fact it is nothing of the sort.

What on earth do you expect? You leave the club and again demand that your membership benefits remain? A NON-EU British licence cannot be expected to be equivalent to an EU licence - especially when it will no longer be aligned to legislation required to be compliant. It really is simple logic, not "retribution": NON-EU <> EU.

Of course, needing to procure an IDP and additional insurance is not the end of the world, but it is just another straw on our backs. As we progress on this route, try to keep count of all the "trivial" burdens which will pile on us. Still not the end of the world, but life will unnecessarily become less smooth.

Further, it becoming more obvious to me that the move to exit the EU is driven by forces unaligned to the good of "the people".

As an example, I am predicting that, after we leave, our vehicle insurance which currently covers us for all the countries in the EU, will require additional premiums - and probably for each country.

Watch how vehicle breakdown costs will rise, and health insurance. The risks, of course, remain equivalent, but - we have to feed the beast!

As Others have said, EVERYTHING can be reciprocal?. What we ARE seeing is the actual face of the EU. Bitter ,Twisted, and Greedy. has been for 40 years!. It is rightly called the EUSSR, having more in common with a Stalinist state.

My driving licence ,seemed quite Ok in Australia, South Africa, Singapore etc etc

Drove all over the USA initially, in 9t of R-V with mine. Only got a Texas Licence because, a) I could and B) I got cheaper Insurance.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm sorry if this reply is too "Brexit" for this particular forum, but I can't let the comments above pass without comment.

The reactions here (e.g. ..."petty spitefulness the EU comes up with to try and "punish" can be reciprocated right back at them". Or: "Another example as to why we actually need to get out of the EU, robbing, spiteful politics.") to this piece of news show to me how "Quitters" (how I'm henceforth denoting brexiteers) take any opportunity to bitterly accuse the EU of heinous treachery when in fact it is nothing of the sort.

What on earth do you expect? You leave the club and again demand that your membership benefits remain? A NON-EU British licence cannot be expected to be equivalent to an EU licence - especially when it will no longer be aligned to legislation required to be compliant. It really is simple logic, not "retribution": NON-EU <> EU.

Of course, needing to procure an IDP and additional insurance is not the end of the world, but it is just another straw on our backs. As we progress on this route, try to keep count of all the "trivial" burdens which will pile on us. Still not the end of the world, but life will unnecessarily become less smooth.

Further, it becoming more obvious to me that the move to exit the EU is driven by forces unaligned to the good of "the people".

As an example, I am predicting that, after we leave, our vehicle insurance which currently covers us for all the countries in the EU, will require additional premiums - and probably for each country.

Watch how vehicle breakdown costs will rise, and health insurance. The risks, of course, remain equivalent, but - we have to feed the beast!

So you're suggesting that it's all going to be a one way street? They're going to list all the things they're going to do to us and we're just going to meekly accept them?

Get real.

If they want to impose import tariffs fine. We impose an equal tarif on goods coming in from the EU.

If they want to insist we need an IDP fine. All EU drivers entering the UK also need one.

Maybe they'll insist that we need Visas to visit the EU. That's perfectly OK. All EU visitors to the UK would need one as well.

The people had their chance to speak. A majority of those who bothered to vote chose to leave. If a majority of those who couldn't be bothered to go and vote wanted to stay that's tough. They had their chance. There's no sinister conspiracy theory to be found there no matter how much the remoaners wish there was.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Steady on folks.

All the article is highlighiting is that european regulation confirming which driving licences are valid will no longer apply once we leave . There will be consequences on GB Drivers ......unless the withdrawel agreement covers the situation. So all the agreement needs to say is that GB licences are valid and recognised.

Plus around 300,000 other regs that will need agreeing such as importing radioactive isotopes for cancer treatment etc etc etc

That,s why 8000 extra civil servants have been taken on.

No problem really as we knew all this when the country voted to leave the club..............?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I was reading that the UK is the equivalent to 18 countries like Croatia leaving the EU.........no wonder the EU trotskies are so upset ..massive hole in the EU wallet, I think its time for a bit less pussy footing and more robust negotiating and WTO if the trotskies carry on like this.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Nobody knows how this going to play out in the future . Will we need a UK passport and driving licence and green card and visa before we are allowed to enter Europe is anyone guess .

As said we are now beginning to see the hostile separation .

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Steady on folks.

All the article is highlighiting is that european regulation confirming which driving licences are valid will no longer apply once we leave . There will be consequences on GB Drivers ......unless the withdrawel agreement covers the situation. So all the agreement needs to say is that GB licences are valid and recognised.

Plus around 300,000 other regs that will need agreeing such as importing radioactive isotopes for cancer treatment etc etc etc

That,s why 8000 extra civil servants have been taken on.

No problem really as we knew all this when the country voted to leave the club..............?
My Licience was changed to accommodate EU regulation when we joined, it will be exactly the same when we leave!! (y)

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Nobody knows how this going to play out in the future . Will we need a UK passport and driving licence and green card and visa before we are allowed to enter Europe is anyone guess .

Can’t really see a problem with having to get a visa etc ,what has come to light is how bitter the eu is ,democracy is not their forte.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

but base all thoughts on the very minimum we might have . then anything better is a bonus .
it shouldnt be a problem really . just extra messing around etc .
staying over 90 days might just be hassle . so most wont .
yes we can only guess . but think positive we know the minimum .

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
The same for number plates at the moment we use Euro plates that can only be used by member states so when we leave they will be illegal in Europe .

How long before we see fines being issued for illegal number plates in EU members states . Back to normal plates and GB stickers .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
The same for number plates at the moment we use Euro plates that can only be used by member states so when we leave they will be illegal in Europe .

How long before we see fines being issued for illegal number plates in EU members states . Back to normal plates and GB stickers .
from the day we leave i should imagine .
just put a gb sticker on your vehicle .
i, have always had one and a cornwall one as well.
its not hard to think non eu.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
They have decided on the important bit....the EU related ECHR legislation is out from day one of real Brexit. The European crims right to Stay because they have a cat in the UK should be gone....

A strange bit of reality is that EHCR was written by the UK mainly and has nothing to do with the EU predating even the Iron and Steel Community. The problems we have with it mainly stem from the way Blair incorporated it into UK law. He was warned it was a disaster but perhaps as the cynics suggest he carried on to provide good paying work for his wife.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp

But as they keep telling us the new golden age is coming which will more than compensate us for such minor inconveniences.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

thats exactly right . it was what we voted for . only the daft thought different .
but then years ago many voted to stay in the common market . mind that never existed . it was the european economic community we joined not a common market as such.
yes licences will be ok as visitors . be it we may require international ones . there is or was two international driving licences . depends where your going how many you might require .
we voted to leave and leave is what we wanted . leave and leave the regs etc that goes with it .

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hang on folks.

We are on page 3 and as far as I can see the whole discussion about UK licences has revolved around the EU.

UK, along with many other countries, were parties to various International Treaties (Vienna etc.) on access of vehicles and Driving Licences long before the EEC/EU existed. Those Treaties are still in force, and will be after Brexit and after the EU.

As far as I can see the only problem may be the format of the licences, since the Treaties referred to the then paper licences. The UK adopted the plastic format which does indeed conform to the EU format.

However, I am sure arrangements are in place fo UK plastic licences to be accepted in non-EU States which are Signatories to the various Treaties, i.e. some of the Balkan countries.

If Treaty Signatories accept the UK plastic licence, whether UK is in or out of the EU, then what is the problem?

I think the Guardian article might have been barking up the wrong tree, ignoring the Treaties.

Geoff

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The fundamental problem we all have is that nearly 2 years after the vote sensible or not our glorious government still seems to have no real idea where we are actually going with this. We have apparently made agreements on the divorce bill which are unsustainable according to our trade plans. We still waffle on with no clear objective, no plan or even a unified idea within cabinet. Is it surprising that all sorts of every day items like this have no answer.

At our present rate of progress it seems we will need a 20 years transition period.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
The fundamental problem we all have is that nearly 2 years after the vote sensible or not our glorious government still seems to have no real idea where we are actually going with this. We have apparently made agreements on the divorce bill which are unsustainable according to our trade plans. We still waffle on with no clear objective, no plan or even a unified idea within cabinet. Is it surprising that all sorts of every day items like this have no answer.

At our present rate of progress it seems we will need a 20 years transition period.
All the time the eu put up barriers at every opportunity what do you expect.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
And must be, as soon as they begin any stupid, spiteful games.
Like for like is an absolute must, not an option.
When Barnier and Co. come up with "punishments" our negotiator should be agreeing to them, making it clear that all "punishments" WILL work both ways.

Most of this shit is part of the not yet dead "project fear".

This is why I don't quite get these "negotiations"
We import more from the EU than we export, so if they want to put tariffs on our exports we can reciprocate.
This will give us a net gain, whats not to like?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I'm amazed at how many UK vehicles don't have EU plates or have tat with obscure flags on ?

Hang on folks.

We are on page 3 and as far as I can see the whole discussion about UK licences has revolved around the EU.

UK, along with many other countries, were parties to various International Treaties (Vienna etc.) on access of vehicles and Driving Licences long before the EEC/EU existed. Those Treaties are still in force, and will be after Brexit and after the EU.

As far as I can see the only problem may be the format of the licences, since the Treaties referred to the then paper licences. The UK adopted the plastic format which does indeed conform to the EU format.

However, I am sure arrangements are in place fo UK plastic licences to be accepted in non-EU States which are Signatories to the various Treaties, i.e. some of the Balkan countries.

If Treaty Signatories accept the UK plastic licence, whether UK is in or out of the EU, then what is the problem?

I think the Guardian article might have been barking up the wrong tree, ignoring the Treaties.

Geoff

But the Vienna convention on Treaties also states that what is done & legally in place, I.E permanent resident foreign citizens , cannot be undone but they've managed to throw that out?

This is why I don't quite get these "negotiations"
We import more from the EU than we export, so if they want to put tariffs on our exports we can reciprocate.
This will give us a net gain, whats not to like?
Then it will be all downhill as we go down the no imports to the UK or exports out, No flights over EU airspace ,no ferry, tunnel etc; etc;

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Then it will be all downhill as we go down the no imports to the UK or exports out, No flights over EU airspace ,no ferry, tunnel etc; etc;

Cant see that happening as all those Holiday makers either stay home or go further afield and all those EU Countries implode.
Just won't happen will it.

The UK can start supporting itself reducing imports from the EU then.

Would I be correct in saying the ferries are mainly French owned, so more job losses.

Starting to look a sorry state for the EU in my opinion :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back