Free Member
Feb 24, 2011
san sebastian
Funster No
MH
don´t own one yet
Exp
5 years
Hi, ruth and I a new to the forum , so hi...
we live in spain ,currently o uk licenses and want to buy a n and b flair which is over 3 tonnes aloud on a spanish license. We could purchase in uk and insure though uk company I think but I am not sure about the practicalities like MOT, and services. Has any one had any similar experience ?
thanks
martin

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think you will find you are going to need to meet the..

Hi, ruth and I a new to the forum , so hi...
we live in spain ,currently o uk licenses and want to buy a n and b flair which is over 3 tonnes aloud on a spanish license. We could purchase in uk and insure though uk company I think but I am not sure about the practicalities like MOT, and services. Has any one had any similar experience ?
thanks
martin

If I am not wrong, and I am sure someone will point out if I am (as they do) if you are in Spain you have to have it tested and meet there MOT requirements.. if the motorhome is registered in Spain then you may have some issues getting in sured by a UK company.. dependent on where you have it registered. I gather Spain has a few rules about motorhomes we do not.

Anyway .. like a bus I expect three will come along together and give you the facts.

Thanks for your post..

Bob:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you are resident in spain then you have no real choice, you must register/insure/itv in Spain and abide by their rules. Anything registered and insured and MOT'd in the UK will require uk residency or at the very least a valid UK address. Mot will require you to come back to the UK for it, you will also run foul of insurance if the van spends more time out of the UK than in it unless you have fulltimers insurance which could be expencive. so really you need a big rethink or you will run foul of a law somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
There are a few uk insurance companies that will insure expats vehicles but not sure if motorhomes are included. If the vehcile is spanish registered then you have it mot'd according to their regs.

Link Removed

one such company, I know they insure caravans so assume motorhomes would be possible as well. My sister who lives in spain has her car insured through the above company

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You don't say if Spain is your main or only residence, if so it will be far simpler to buy, register and insure in Spain as importing a vehicle from the UK to Spain is far from straight forward.

This may apply : .. From ex pats forum
The Spanish rule is that you should apply for Residencia if spending more than 183 days a years, there is no provision for renewing documentation such as road tax on UK vehicles. If this is the case, the vehicle should be imported and the number plate changed to a Spanish registration.

..you have six months to arrange importation of the vehicle and obtain a new Spanish number plate. Vehicle importations can be complicated and various documents are required to complete the process: I recommend you seek professional assistance for this service, and most reputable car dealerships can assist you in this regard.

Plenty more info on this site : SpainExpat.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back