UK Campsites Open During the Winter (2 Viewers)

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

I know a lot of people still want to use there Motor-homes during the winter but it does appear difficult to find campsites that are open and that are suitable for motorhomes [hard standings]. While I know we can search through the various Clubs and on one or two of the online web sites they always seem to be geared towards you knowing the specific area you want to go to, and if you are like me i don't really know where i want to go i normally just look on a map and then think that may be nice ??

So if you are like me it would be helpful if there was a map of the UK dotted with all of the suitable campsites that are open say between October and April so how about starting a list

Here's my first one

C&CC site at Canterbury, Bekesbourne Lane, CT3 4AB, has hard standings, electric hookup, heated showers/toilets, Bus stop within 2 Min's, town centre 20 min walk, pub 10 min walk, General Shop 10 min walk, really nice site and good position.

If we get enough i will make them into pushpins for Autoroute which then can be converted into what ever SatNav system you have

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi, we are open all year and have one booked in this morning to spend new year here. We have large hardstandings, to take RVs, with electrical hook ups. No toilets or showers. Heart of Wales railway line is less than five minutes away. Llandovery is five miles away. This is our first full year of opening and agree with you - many of you use your vehicles all year round so we are not going to close at all.
Its a great idea to have a data base of "never closing" sites. Well thought of!:thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi,
<snipped>

So if you are like me it would be helpful if there was a map of the UK dotted with all of the suitable campsites that are open say between October and April so how about starting a list

Here's my first one

C&CC site at Canterbury, Bekesbourne Lane, CT3 4AB, has hard standings, electric hookup, heated showers/toilets, Bus stop within 2 Min's, town centre 20 min walk, pub 10 min walk, General Shop 10 min walk, really nice site and good position.

If we get enough i will make them into pushpins for Autoroute which then can be converted into what ever SatNav system you have

That's a really good idea - what you say is true. :thumb::thumb:
Should it be just sites that we know are open or sites that say they're open in the blurb - we all know that it ain't necessarily so - the former would be more definitive but take a lot longer to compile.
I'll certainly spread the word when I have any information.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Good idea, but why not simply add in the MHFun campsite review section, it has this info .. including gps data

Didn't realise it was there :Blush:.

Pay attention JayDee! :Doh:

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Jim

I certainly would add them to the MHF database, but the main thing I want is somewhere that I can see them all together so i can then decide where i fancy going to ? as i don't normally plan, also I would like to carry a copy of the details with me so I can see at a glance where the ones that are open are without the need to obtain a Internet connection ?

I have started the same thread on Motorhometoday web site so hopefully we can combine the results, as happened with another similar combined thread started by "bobandjean" on the outandaboutlive and motorhometoday sites directed towards the 100 best Aires in France which resulted in 77 of the best aires in France as given by the site members which I compiled as autoroute pushpins or an excel spreadsheet for people to use at their leisure.

So lets try and beat 77 ??

Good idea, but why not simply add in the MHFun campsite review section, it has this info .. including gps data

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Come On Motorhomefun we have 10 already ??? some of you must know some you can add

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
heres another,
Greengrass Park
Hempholme Lane
Hempholme
Brandesburton
East Yorkshire
YO25 8NB
Tel: 01964 542112
Fax:
Pitches: 60 with hook up and water
Open: Open All Year

terry

U

ukrv

Deleted User
For those of us with RVs it would be good to have the electric Amps too - I wouldnt stay at anywhere with less than 16A, especially in winter.

Here are two;

Briarfields
Cheltenham
Hardstandings
16A

Oxon Hall
Shrewsbury
Hardstandings
16A

Paul

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
To-Date we have 17 sites, albeit I still need to confirm the actual addresses for some of them but thanks so far, surely we must know more come on ?? we need to beat the 77/78 we reached with the Aires in France

Here the list so far, if you can add some more details it would help but more importantly please add some more campsites, Thanks

The List at 2:20pm 8th Jan 07

[1] C&CC site at Canterbury, Bekesbourne Lane, CT3 4AB, has hard standings, electric hookup, heated showers/toilets, Bus stop within 2 Min's, town centre 20 min walk, pub 10 min walk, General Shop 10 min walk, really nice site and good position

[2] Devizes C&CC site, Spout Lane, Nr Seend, Melksham, Wilts SN12 6RN
Hard standings, hookup, I presume the shower block is heated but we always use the facilities in the van. Site backs on to the Kennet & Avon canal so easy walking & cycling on the towpath. Good pub grub a couple of hundred metres from the site gates.

[3] Lee Valley Camping & Caravan Park at Edmonton - open all year except for a short break over Christmas. We stayed for a couple of nights last January. Friendly staff; good clean shower and wash-up facilities; reasonably easy travel into London

[4] Milestone at Cromwell, near Newark, just off the A1. I've seen some comments about noise from the road and railway nearby but we weren't disturbed at all. It's an affiliated site (or whatever the term is) rather than being a CC owned site but up to usual CC standards. No pub in the village so you need to take your own ale

[5] White Water Park site at Stockton-on-Tees. We've never stayed there as it so close to home but have been for gas there a couple of times and it looks superb. There's a Premier Travel Inn right by the entrance with normal pub/restaurant facilities for that chain and it's about 10 minutes walk to Teesside Shopping & Leisure Park

[6] Wareham Forest, Dorset highly recommend Link Removed

[7] Wild Rose, Appleby in Westmorland highly recommend

[8] CC site at Castleton in the Peak District. All hardstanding pitches and only a 10 minute walk into town where there are several pubs. Good walks around the area too. I believe that it may be well booked at weekends but we go during the week

[9] Somers Wood caravan park (open February to Dec 12th) at Meriden near the NEC at Birmingham is all hard standing - adults only

[10] Setthorns Caravan & Camping Site - Forest Holidays Wooton (New Forest), New Milton, Dorset ,BH25 5UA
You'll need your own toilet and shower, but they have CDP at the m/home service point.
Beautiful walks along the the old railway line that runs through the middle of the site, take you're bikes, good site also note 90 % are hardstanding with or with out hook up.

[11] CC site at Morton in Marsh - sounds like a good site just on the outskirts of the village with pleanty to do, The site has just had both toilet blocks rebuilt but it's a pity they didn't spend a bob or two on the access roads a round the site. you need your wellies to go to the loo if it's raining. (poor drainage). Moreton it's self suffered very badly, due to flash flooding with water off the surrounding hills swamping the village inJuly 07. Many businesses have not yet re-opened or have re-located elsewhere. Tuesday is market day

[12] Loch Ness Caravan park Loch Ness Caravan And Camping Park, Easter Port Clair
Invermoriston, Highlands, IV63 7YE which was really good right on the bank of the loch Most pitches are slightly sloping so take you wheel chocks and levels.
Open all year, all pitches are hard standing, most with electric. Fresh and grey water points are numerous and close to hand, three elsan points and a motorhome service point. Link Removed

[13] Braemar and got snowed in for 3days which was also a brilliant site.just a 2 min walk from the village and the scenery was spectacular.

[14 Cwmcuttan Caravan Site is set in a seven and a half acre smallholding in Cynghordy Carmarthenshire SA20 0LY.5 mins walk from Heart of Wales, railway line running up to Shrewsbury and the Midlands and down to Swansea with connections to Cardiff and London. Very quiet roads for miles. Woodland walks within 3 miles.
Nearby local towns with swimming pool and many amenities

[15] Greengrass Park ,Hempholme Lane, Hempholme ,Brandesburton
East Yorkshire ,YO25 8NB, Tel: 01964 542112
Pitches: 60 with hook up and waterOpen: Open All Year

[16] Briarfields, Cheltenham
Hardstandings, 16A

[17] Oxon Hall, Shrewsbury
Hardstandings, 16A

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
CC Black horse farm, Densole, Near Folkestone, kent. Nice site, handy for tunnel and ferries plus pub opposite.

ken

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Bartley CS site

Hi I have a small CS site at my home on the Southampton edge of the New Forest can accomodate all sizes of campers and RVs with concrete hardstanding, dump and water.

We are open all year but unfortunately no hookup at the moment though I am working on that.

Regards Pat

Attachments

• 100_0532.jpg
    100_0532.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_0365-1.jpg
    100_0365-1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 51

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Cornish Farm Touring Park Shoreditch Taunton TA3 7 BS Tel 01823 327746 Cornish Farm wardens names Ian and Jane. Open all year, new site opened three years ago and got Four AA Pennants Hardstandings luxury loos and showers, fully tiled and underfloor heating. I recommend it very highly :)Tongue: but I do own it:RollEyes:)

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Pat

Sounds great are you going to let us know exactly where you are so i can add you to the list, address, post code, lat/long if you have it ??

thanks
Brian

Hi I have a small CS site at my home on the Southampton edge of the New Forest can accomodate all sizes of campers and RVs with concrete hardstanding, dump and water.

We are open all year but unfortunately no hookup at the moment though I am working on that.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Lampie

Thanks for the list, I have telephoned all of them and the only one that I can confirm that is actually open all year is Hollyfast Caravan Park, as all of the others just go to a recorded message stating the park is closed and reopens in February.

While that isn't a problem and i would certainly add them to the list I really do need a date when they shut, which is what i am having difficulty finding, do you have any idea when they shut for the winter

As for the C&CC sites that are open, I have the list but i really didn't want to add them yet as i would have liked a personal recommendation from someone who had visited ?? that goes for the CC sites as well ?

hope that makes sense

Brian

We like to go all year round, it can be hard to find sites but they are there. CC sites have a good few all year round sites as does best of british. Here are a few .

Townsend Home , Lincoln Farm Park , Rivendale caravan park and camp site, Peak District, Derbyshire, UK , Link Removed. C & CC have some good ones as well depends what you want

Regards

Lampie

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Rivendale is open from Feb to Jan
Lincoln Farm is open from Feb to Nov
Townsend is open from Mar to Jan

Dick

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Hi, Lampie

Thanks for the list, I have telephoned all of them and the only one that I can confirm that is actually open all year is Hollyfast Caravan Park, as all of the others just go to a recorded message stating the park is closed and reopens in February.

While that isn't a problem and i would certainly add them to the list I really do need a date when they shut, which is what i am having difficulty finding, do you have any idea when they shut for the winter

As for the C&CC sites that are open, I have the list but i really didn't want to add them yet as i would have liked a personal recommendation from someone who had visited ?? that goes for the CC sites as well ?

hope that makes sense

Brian
Brian, for my site all details on my web site and when review page is up and running again check out the FUN Meet we had here in November, RR wrote a good review !
Eileen
C and CC site:thumb:

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Eileen

Its probably me but aren't you No14 on the list i posted earlier ?? as i got the details from your web link ?

Hi, Dick

That's easy, Brian
The Lodge 3C Site details are available on site number 12 of the Big Pitch Guide.
End Quote

Again its probably me [well definitely me :ROFLMAO:] but what is the Big Pitch Guide and where can I find it ?? you know what I am like or you will shortly, but it may be easier to just type your address and phone number ??

Sorry everyone ?? :cry::Doh:

Brian

Brian, for my site all details on my web site and when review page is up and running again check out the FUN Meet we had here in November, RR wrote a good review !
Eileen
C and CC site:thumb:

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Thanks, Dick

I think I will leave them off for now as the list is really only for sites open all year, I know I have shown some that a basically close for January and i think that should be the limit e.g maximum closure i month, unless anyone thinks differently ??

Brian

Rivendale is open from Feb to Jan
Lincoln Farm is open from Feb to Nov
Townsend is open from Mar to Jan

Dick

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
The BPG

Hi Brian

I have no wish to get jumped on by Jim or any of the other post-judges, for advertising, as I did on another similar site - and I don't know how to do that thing which say point you mouse 'here' - SO The Big Pitch Guide - UK & Europe based RV & Motorhome Pitch Information Guide

There, I've said it and now I am going to duck before it hits the fan :shout:

Dick 07967 806064

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Dick

I think it must be me, it appears to find your address I will have to pay £40 to join/purchase the Big Pitch Guide, ???:ROFLMAO::Rofl1
and somehow I really don't think I am going to do that do you ??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Brian

I have no wish to get jumped on by Jim or any of the other post-judges, for advertising, as I did on another similar site - and I don't know how to do that thing which say point you mouse 'here' - SO The Big Pitch Guide - UK & Europe based RV & Motorhome Pitch Information Guide

There, I've said it and now I am going to duck before it hits the fan :shout:

Dick 07967 806064

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Brian

As a full-timer, I don't have an address so why would you want to pay to find me?

At any one time I could be anywhere between here and Yugoslavia finding new sites with new pitches for RV's which I then publish in my Guide. :RollEyes:

end-of-story, I think :Sad:

Dick

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Dick

This is getting totally confusing, I made a request to "ruffingitsmoothly2 for them to provide more information on the site they had suggested, I then received a reply from you quote

That's easy, Brian
The Lodge 3C Site details are available on site number 12 of the Big Pitch Guide.
Dick

end quote

Which in the absence of any other outstanding request i took this to be a reply to the question i had posed to "ruffingitsmoothly" as details of the site they were talking about ? and that is why i responded as i did, now if i have misunderstood what you were referring to then I apologise,

If you are offering a site for inclusion in the list we are drawing up i.e. "The Lodge 3C" please can you provide more details as i don't have a copy of the book you are referring to ?

Brian

Hi Brian

As a full-timer, I don't have an address so why would you want to pay to find me?

At any one time I could be anywhere between here and Yugoslavia finding new sites with new pitches for RV's which I then publish in my Guide. :RollEyes:

end-of-story, I think :Sad:

Dick

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Bartley CS site

Hi Brian

Sorry not been on since I posted.

My site is at The Lodge, Southampton Road. Bartley. Southampton. SO402NA. It's on the A336.

The easiest way to me is off junction 1 of the M27 (from the East) turn left at the roundabout about 200yards go straight across the next roundabout and exactly it is 1 mile from that roundabout on the lefthand side. Approximately 300 yards past the Haywain pub which is on the right.
For those of you with big rigs it is best to approach from the other direction which is not a problem as just past my house there is a big layby (old loop in the road) if you turn into that and then turn back on to the road at the end of that layby in order to turn right into the property.

The entrance is not that wide but last September we had a rally for the ARV club when 14 RVs big and small managed it with no damage though some did drop of their tow cars in the said layby.

PM me for phone number thanks

Regards Pat

Attachments

• 100_0864.jpg
    100_0864.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_0871.jpg
    100_0871.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_0981.jpg
    100_0981.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 17