UK Campsites.. A Personal View (1 Viewer)

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
There are many good UK sites and cls etc. But the main problem I've found having to stay in the uk during covid is the lack of availability. And sites that are defficient have no motivation to do better as they pretty much have a captive market with, currently, unlimited demand.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I’ve been giving thought to this ,most sites are so far from the town or village unless your both fit its to far to walk,I tried towing our smart car more trouble than it was worth .when we first went in this country with our Bucaneer elan and G wagon it was ideal ,but with a motorhome your stuck ,I’m sure it’s different now but site weren’t very welcoming when we first had a motorhome ,what they wanted was a range rover and carlight I’m afraid this has stayed with me many years.I’m talking here caravan club main sites .

Sep 9, 2021
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohican S
Exp
Have owned my moho for 2.5 years now
I have no idea where you lot go. You must be the sort that see empty supermarket shelves and can't fill up with fuel. And someone said campsites in France are not there to line their own pockets but support the community. I nearly fell of my chair with laughter. These are the same campsites whereby the owners take you cash and then wave when you leave giving you the finger when they can't see you.

I've stayed in some glorious UK campsites and I've stayed in some Glorious Eurpean campsites. I've also stayed in some hovels here and across the water in France, Germancy, Switzerland, Holland, Prague, Belgium oh and Italy. I've stayed on sites abroad so dangerous I have been unable to open my garage door because they parked the van too close to me. I stayed in a campsite in Wales that the kids on the site used my van as a goal post.

But, I have wheels, If I don't like it, I get in, switch the key and I drive off. simple as that really,

Is UK bashing just a trendy thing now days?
Yes it is trendy to bash the uk . and everything is better in europe. I only travel in uk with my MoHo as i want to see all that the uk has to offer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D
Nov 21, 2016
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
I like to think that my original observations was trying to offer genuine suggestions to campsite owners in the Uk based on my experiences here and in Europe.
I was not just bashing the UK, although in some instances it might warrant it, as others have deemed appropriate.
I agree that if a site doesn’t, meet my expectations, I can and do move to another site, but I resent That when have paid up front before I pitch.
Many members have agreed with most of my comments, and were not just out to bash the UK. My original intent was to share my observations, in the hope that Uk campsites might improve for us all to enjoy.
Rant over, let’s just close this now

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
What I really dislike about British campsites if the campers who continuously moan about the European campsites being so much better :wink::winky:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I like to think that my original observations was trying to offer genuine suggestions to campsite owners in the Uk based on my experiences here and in Europe.
I was not just bashing the UK, although in some instances it might warrant it, as others have deemed appropriate.
I agree that if a site doesn’t, meet my expectations, I can and do move to another site, but I resent That when have paid up front before I pitch.
Many members have agreed with most of my comments, and were not just out to bash the UK. My original intent was to share my observations, in the hope that Uk campsites might improve for us all to enjoy.
Rant over, let’s just close this now
opps posted this only ready first page note to self read whole thread :rofl: 💗💗💗

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This thread has been a bir of an education for me.

I had only toured in UK for a few seasons and hardly used campsites, partly because of the comments on forums. we generally wildcamped.

Then I moved to Poland but most of our MHoming has been in France, Germany, etc, but also this year in Greece.

Having an independent 'A' Class we have not ventured into 'public' facilities even on the 6 occasions in 12 years where we have used campsites.

What I have learned from this thread, particularly the OP, is that booking for European campsites is not normally necessary - big plus.

Also that one can choose one's own pitch.

The other comments about the standard of facilities and price are also useful.

Maybe on the Continent we have to re-think, but even then it might be only for the odd night as aires/Stellplats/Farme/Wilding suits us fine.

Geoff

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I am in Spain at present hotel/hire car I have looked at some sites as I drive or walk past and they are in like sardines in a can. Parked in a local car park presently and 17 wild camping mostly look like full timers .it's a lovely hidey-hole.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back