Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We have been camping for years and cannot remember the last time we used a campsite of any size and quality that did not have campers facilities for recycling until this weekend.

We stopped at two sites, neither had any recycling facilities whatsoever, so we brought it home. That may have been their preference but if it was they didn’t advertise it.

Maybe I’m missing the point somewhere but I’d have thought councils should be insisting on it.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
More than likely a private company, like BIFFA for instance, that collects the gash, perhaps it's left up to the Site to take their recycling to the Recycling centre, so they don't bother to recycle.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Many large waste collectors pick up all the waste at once - Cheaper as they don't have two runs to do, and then the waste is sorted at a Material Recycling facility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am or was an avid recycler but learned recently that still a large proportion of my carefully selected recycle material either gets burnt or goes to landfill.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've been on a few sites that have signs up saying something along the lines of "chuck all your rubbish in these bins, the waste collection firm sort it out at the depot".

Could that be the case here @ymfb and they're simply not announcing the fact?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
All of our household waste used to be sorted at a transfer station, now we have to sort it at home. Step backward I thought.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our local recycling center only sort recyclables and God help you if you put ANYTHING none recyclable in the blue recyclng bin and they see it when collecting.
Your bin is left full and a snotty notice stuck on it.
Saying that, how would you like to sort through soiled nappies, rotton food waste and bags of dog shit to remove tins, paper, card and plastic etc.
As we no longer have a landfill site all other rubbish is transported to the York landfill.....40 miles away.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Here in our village, they have done away with individual bins ( we used to have a grey top bin for normal waste and a yellow top bin for recycling.
Last year, the Marie provided large bins at various points round around the village, for waste and recycling ( there is already a bottle bank near the Marie) they are emptied weekly and you are trusted to put the right waste in the right bin.
There was a notice round a couple of months ago about people putting glass in the yellow bin, but that has now stopped.
We also had large cages for plastic bottles but these have been removed and there are machines that give out cash ( or tokens) for empty plastic bottles.
Most towns and villages have dog waste bins and bag dispensers too.
The French take recycling and litter seriously. I am always amazed at the amount of litter we see around when we go back to the UK. The motorway verges are awash with rubbish everywhere.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
I've been on a few sites that have signs up saying something along the lines of "chuck all your rubbish in these bins, the waste collection firm sort it out at the depot".

Could that be the case here @ymfb and they're simply not announcing the fact?

I think unlikely that NFDC & Hampshire would have different policies on waste, but you never know.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I’d have thought councils should be insisting on it.

A campsite is classed by the council as 'commercial premisses ' and as such they will not supply recycling bins nor collect them .. it is classed as trade waste which cannot legally be put into the owners own domestic waste recycling bins.

The onus is on the campsite owner to organise waste disposal with a contractor, such as Biffa..

regulations and info https://www.gov.uk/managing-your-waste-an-overview

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Think a major problem in this country for recycling is that it’s different in every town, no w places have the same system.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Our hamlet has the same system as @Allanm. 2 large bins, one for rubbish rubbish in sacks, the other for recyclables that go in loose. Both are emptied weekly. The recycling centre is about 10 kms away where it is allegedly sorted by hand. The system must be working as a large extension was built a few years ago.

Trade waste is accepted at the tips and over the years the sorting, for both trade and domestic,has become much more sophisticated. The guy in attendance must be very bored as he is always keen to tell you what goes where and helps unload large or awkward items.

The nearest bottle bank is in "town" about 2 kms away.

Our roadsides are not as litter free as we would like - I blame foreign visitors bringing their rubbish and bad habits from home.

The system in larger places, e.g. St Cere population about 3500/4000, seems similar to U.K. with individual household bin bags but these are removed weekly.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes British people drop litter but there is also a lot of rubbish in lay-bys that is left by other people then British, so it is not just British who drop rubbish.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The guy in attendance must be very bored as he is always keen to tell you what goes where and helps unload large or awkward items.

They are a breed apart.. find them at all re-cycling centres..

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry but, if there's no recycle bin it all goes to landfill.
I'm not licenced to carry waste. ;)
You are quite right even carrying an empty oil container is classed as hazardous waste & requires a licence.

A campsite is classed by the council as 'commercial premisses ' and as such they will not supply recycling bins nor collect them

But they have no problem placing recycyling bins in supermarket car parks & emptying them ? Or are they supplied by someone else ?
Pity they can't supply normal waste bins as well.

Yes British people drop litter but there is also a lot of rubbish in lay-bys that is left by other people then British, so it is not just British who drop rubbish.
If they had bins it would help & also on the occasion that you find one with bins they could try emptying them regularly.
No good putting up signs saying "take it home" if you haven't a UK one to use ,is it ?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There are bins in lorry parks , some even have them window height so you can drive past them and then they still just dump it . Yes bins would be lovely in lay-bys but the country is skint, just will not admit it. The driver could take it with him from a lay-by to where they are delivering to, or if they do not like the terms of driving in this country leave the trailer at the docks for collection.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But they have no problem placing recycyling bins in supermarket car parks & emptying them ? Or are they supplied by someone else ?
Pity they can't supply normal waste bins as well.

If you say so.. no idea

but my comment was regarding campsites.. not supermarkets

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That’s called the “broken window syndrome”.
Sure, France has litter, but not to the extent we notice in the UK.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Whatever the situation “we” have a moral obligation to recycle even if the campsite doesn’t provide it. We took ours home as would anyone with a sense of community or pride.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
“we” have a moral obligation to recycle

no argument with that.. but is it working ?

I don't believe so, if it were, the rivers and oceans wouldn't be polluted with it..

recycling is often just a feel-good gesture that provides little environmental benefit at a very significant cost...

there are a lot of discussions by governments on ways of reducing the use and making it easier to recycle.. but I fear that it may be too late, our oceans will never be free of the stuff and birds, fish and mammals are dying from ingesting the micro beads .. we have truly made a mess of our beautiful environment.. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back