LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Anybody recommend the best breakdown cover for UK only. Thought I was covered by my Barclays Bank Additions RAC cover but it turns out my Autotrail Scout is to large and exempt.

Don't need European cover this year.

Thanks

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We use Green Flag through the Caravan Club - it's about £110 for the year for full cover on the MH and the car:thumb:

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
try SCENIC INSURANCE ( its part of the Swinton Insurance Group and set up especially for Motorhomers.

good luck, happy motoring.
We are off to France for 6 whole weeks next month, fully covered by SCENIC for Motorhome, UK & European Breakdown cover for just £298, fantastic value.
icon1.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have personal cover with ARIVALS -C&CC -RAC they asked £126 to renew so I declined ,then they came back with £75 same as last yr :winky: Cover anything I drive and OVER 3.5t :thumb:
terry

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If looking at green flag read it all. Our friends left Newbury show on Monday they went m4 us a34. They was stopped in stationary traffic on m4 and an articl hit them in the back smashing up the the caravan and pushing the a frame up in to back of his motor. He has the premium package for caravan etc so phoned for recovery explain gall what he needs. Recovery truck comes can only take one as he only has hgv2 and not allowed to tow, told him if he wants both recovering he has to pay a call out for special equipment. They loaded the the van and he followed with the back stovee in on his motor, they only took him half way where he had to wait for another green flag, guess what next driver exactly the same. Also Dave newel only fitted his allu gas late Sunday afternoon less then 24hrs now no van.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same as terry.....rac arrivals.

You need to be a camping & caravaning club member but you are covered in ANY* vehicle whether driving it or not.

Roadside, recovery, onward recovery...if you break down going to a pre booked campsite they will take you there and if the vehicle cant be fixed locally in a reasonable time they will recover you back home at the end of your stay.

There is no upper size or weight limit which makes it popular with rv owners where the length can be 40ft and weight upwards of 15tonnes.

My renewal was around £82.

* excludes commercial vehicles (workvans etc)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If looking at green flag read it all. Our friends left Newbury show on Monday they went m4 us a34. They was stopped in stationary traffic on m4 and an articl hit them in the back smashing up the the caravan and pushing the a frame up in to back of his motor. He has the premium package for caravan etc so phoned for recovery explain gall what he needs. Recovery truck comes can only take one as he only has hgv2 and not allowed to tow, told him if he wants both recovering he has to pay a call out for special equipment. They loaded the the van and he followed with the back stovee in on his motor, they only took him half way where he had to wait for another green flag, guess what next driver exactly the same. Also Dave newel only fitted his allu gas late Sunday afternoon less then 24hrs now no van.

sorry, but no sympathy for your friends as far as service goes.

They should have been back on the phone and insisted a qualified driver was sent as its on their records as a caravan policy.

Why send a driver with no trailer entitlement to a caravan accident.....and how was he going to tow it anyway, it had become completely unroadworthy.

RAC would have sent a low loader and carried both car and 'van or loaded the van and towed the car.

And RAC do not do relay recovery.....all in one trip in the same truck with the same driver.

Last edited:

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
I settled for AA silver package includes personal cover for whatever vehicle you are driving (including MH) roadside assistance, recovery, puncture and motorway Relay to a destination of your choice etc cost me £90 UK only. Had to haggle with them to get that price

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I agree, but under stress, the highways guy was on at him do you know how much it's costing while the m4 is shut. The recovery driver telling him he has to pay, both recovery drivers were foreign not know if it's a scam to get more money ie some sort of bonus for extra call out ? I think he just wanted to get home.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree, but under stress, the highways guy was on at him do you know how much it's costing while the m4 is shut. The recovery driver telling him he has to pay, [HI]both recovery drivers were foreign [/HI]not know if it's a scam to get more money ie some sort of bonus for extra call out ? I think he just wanted to get home.

And theres the rub.....if they dont understand the problem then they shouldnt be doing the job.

Did they check the car was safe to drive after having a caravan a frame inserted up its arse...i doubt that very much.

Chances are it was a foriegn call centre operator as well.

As for the highways jobsworth...well i cant put on open forum what my reply would have been.
It takes as long as it takes.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
All very stressful, you pay for these services in the hope you never need them, but when you do need them it should be hassle free and simple.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We use Green Flag through the Caravan Club - it's about £110 for the year for full cover on the MH and the car:thumb:

Ditto:thumb:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
same as terry.....rac arrivals.

You need to be a camping & caravaning club member but you are covered in ANY* vehicle whether driving it or not.

Roadside, recovery, onward recovery...if you break down going to a pre booked campsite they will take you there and if the vehicle cant be fixed locally in a reasonable time they will recover you back home at the end of your stay.

There is no upper size or weight limit which makes it popular with rv owners where the length can be 40ft and weight upwards of 15tonnes.

[HI]My renewal was around £82[/HI].

* excludes commercial vehicles (workvans etc)
[/QUOTE

Could you advise how you get a premium of £82 as when looking on the RAC website it comes out at >£300 for euro cover, home start and onward travel:Eeek:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
just read some useful replies in this thread about breakdown cover after just getting an appalling renewal quote from the aa, which is nigh on double what i paid them last year for full personal cover for my car and van..
they want over £200 this year for just uk, well bugga that,:Eeek: even though they've given me good service in the past..
the phones going to be red hot today phoning around..

Last edited:

jetsets

Free Member
Jan 26, 2012
derby
Funster No
MH
hitop
Exp
Green flag woes

Hi we have an Autotrail Cheyenne 696G, 4 ton , yesterday, Back Tyre failed 70 miles from home on M62,

Long story !

Called Green flag, got text message saying recovery was on schedule (whatever that means) after an hour got a call from Mansfield Recovery to say they were completing another job and would call again when on the way, I called 20 minutes later and was told van was nearby on its way. 15 mins later van turns up having been instructed to attempt a temporary repair ( we have no spare!) As he got out of the van he said - "I know what you're going to say!" He also confirmed that he got the job after the ETA!!!

He spent some time on the phone asking for a correctly sized recovery truck ( Sunday afternoon no where to get a tyre apparently) -and we have managed to get into an emergency refuge as the police asked us to move ( tyre was partially inflated but sidewall had burst)

eventually (2 hours or more has passed phone call from Mansfield recovery suggesting they can get a tyre - so agree this and a price which is discounted after some negotiation and told it will be about 50 to 60 mins.

after another delay a wrong size truck arrives, :cry:even though tyre has been arranged. Truck goes but Mansfield Mechanic who has been asked to stay with us speaks to his control centre and is told tyre will be 1 and 1/2 hours, I make call to Green flag and they magically speed up tyre fitter ( from Crest Tyres) who was very efficient does the job quickly after a total delay ( sitting at side of motorway) of just about 4 hours! Complain on the phone to Green flag gets offer of 25 pound towards cost of tyre.

So I shall be going with someone else next year, and I am putting an official complaint into Green Flag as they and Mansfield just cocked up what should have been a less than two hour job and made it last 4 hours.

Plus I was ripped off for the tyre which although the right size and a better rating than the orginal is a cheap chinese import and I was charged more than I can get the tyre fitted ( at Home) for a top end one!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back