UK AIRES PETITION (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
Hi All
We've just signed this petition to provide Aires in our towns.
Put in petiton.parliament.uk/petitions/105748 this will take you directly to the page.
Thanks (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
is this actually an official government petition?
It's not an official government petition but a petition on the government web site set up to enable petition submission. 10,000 signatures gets a government response and 100,000 signatures gets a consideration for a debate in parliament. All of the petitions with a similar subject to this one have fallen far short of those targets as a result of both inaccuracy and lack of interest.

Following the thread the other day I've put together This Page to explain the futility of such petitions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oh for pitys sake!!!

Is that an attempt at being funny?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Oh ! Not again ,thought we had put this to bed .
It (and future similar petitions) will continue to be raised as people discover it and don't search for previous postings. It's a fact of life and something we will have to accept :) That's why I put my page together (which I hope isn't rude or discourteous to any individual :)), so that I can simply post a link to it in future :)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have been down the petition route myself and when it was looked at, I received the reply that "This is a matter for each local authority, not national government". HM Government states it now operates a hands off system of government and will tell any petitioner to contact their local authority.

A group of us got together to try to get better parking provision for motorhomes, with if possible overnight use and service provision. I personally like Graham (GJH) have contacted 400+ local authorities as well as all Motorway Service Providers, National Park Authorities and relevant Government departments on these matters.

I had to come to the conclusion that although there are many keyboard warriors about, few if any are willing to put in the hard work, when asked to do so, to bring things to fruition or even to met local councillors to discuss matters. In the end I found I was left on my own as the promised support from close on 2000 backers just wasn't there when push came to shove.

Car Parks cannot just be used in many cases as Planning Permission is required. Some have covenant restrictions on them. That is before you get to the NIMBYs.

Borne Terminals are not cheap to provide, but ground work and connection to services cost many times more than the terminal. This I have as a fact from the Northern Ireland Authorities that installed Aires in the province and have kindly provided figures under FOI.

NI authorities sought funding from the NI Tourist Board to provide the 6 Aires now available in the province. This was as a result of 10 years constant pressure by a group (The now defunct "Motorhome Association") over there. These things just don't happen out of the blue. We have no group working on this now and a lack of willingness of groups to combine to do so, means we probably won't get one. It is up to us, not the authorities, if we really want such provision.

The Dept. for Transport had in its guidance to MSA operators that they could (not should) provide facilities including water, waste disposal and EHU for Caravan and Motor Caravan use. The last government allowed this to be removed from the guidance and instead permitted parking space to be used for other commercial (money making) activities which had previously been banned. As a result, in the UK we have only 2 MSA with dump facilities on our road network and authorities that have such provision in coach parks restrict there use to coaches only. Other authorities have removed existing provision even for coaches.

I have had a look at the petition and at least this one has got up to close on 4000 backers, most have struggled to reach 1000. Considering there are about 250,000 motorhomes registered in the UK we are on a hiding to nothing to reach 100,000 signatures to trigger a debate in parliament. Not all motorhome users want or support "off site facilities".

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Maybe the reason for this popping up again is because MMM has been promoting it in last months and this months magazine. :rolleyes: (not sure if I've used the right smilie-apologies if it's wrong!)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe the reason for this popping up again is because MMM has been promoting it in last months and this months magazine. :rolleyes: (not sure if I've used the right smilie-apologies if it's wrong!)
Another reason not to buy MMM then :D I do wish they would at least pretend to be checking accuracy when they "campaign". I had a look at their motorhome parking publication last month and several of their entries are out of date (including some places which no longer exist).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There was some "Chatter" several years back of introducing "Waste" water disposal, Power and Fresh Water facilities at a "Location near the Humber Bridge". That never materialised either. The nearest thing we in the UK have to it is the CCC will allow use of their facilities at certain sites for a fee (6? I think). But then you have to go off and Park somewhere else. In the UK there is not enough backing for such a scheme, It is not favoured by site owners (for obvious fiscal reasons). L-A`s (bless them!!) are far too interested in "promoting" self interest! and "party" dependent issues, to be bothered with such a SMALL cadre of Users.

Publicans, who might be interested, outside of those already signed up the "Britstops", are largely constrained by their Owners, (Pub co`s) Who cite potential issues of H&Safety! liability.

Methinks we are "urinating into the wind" but I have signed it anyway!.

Pete

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Where the demand for facilities has been identified and demonstrated they have been provided - Canterbury, Chester, Hawick & Portrush are examples. There are probably others.

These facilities have not been provided because of people starting silly petitions or because anyone has been "compelled" to do so. All such nonsense will achieve is to harden the position of LAs against making provisions and make them far less likely to listen if someone does approach them in a useful manner with information that might show the need.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi All
We've just signed this petition to provide Aires in our towns.
Put in petiton.parliament.uk/petitions/105748 this will take you directly to the page.
Thanks (y)

There's more chance 1-45 million of winning the Lottery than this happening.

Lets say that everyone in the UK signed, bet they would ALL become NIMBY's if an aire was suggested near their property.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There was some "Chatter" several years back of introducing "Waste" water disposal, Power and Fresh Water facilities at a "Location near the Humber Bridge". That never materialised either. The nearest thing we in the UK have to it is the CCC will allow use of their facilities at certain sites for a fee (6? I think). But then you have to go off and Park somewhere else. In the UK there is not enough backing for such a scheme, It is not favoured by site owners (for obvious fiscal reasons). L-A`s (bless them!!) are far too interested in "promoting" self interest! and "party" dependent issues, to be bothered with such a SMALL cadre of Users.

Publicans, who might be interested, outside of those already signed up the "Britstops", are largely constrained by their Owners, (Pub co`s) Who cite potential issues of H&Safety! liability.

Methinks we are "urinating into the wind" but I have signed it anyway!.

Pete
I hadn't heard of the Humber Bridge proposal. Do you know where it came from and who was promoting it? It might be something which could be resurrected.

The C&CC scheme is a service for members who are camping off site but need to empty/fill from time to time so is not, in itself, a camping provision like an aire would be. Camping somewhere else is the choice of the member and came first.

The majority of LAs (I know because I've been in contact with all of them) don't receive many motorhome parking requests let alone approaches to set up aires. That is why there is little or no incentive for them to "be bothered".

The primary concern for pub companies (just like supermarkets &c) isn't health & safety. They are in the business of running pubs, not caravan sites, and having to comply with the 1960 Act (which would probably mean obtaining site licences for individual premises in most cases) is an overhead they do not need.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's a lost cause in the UK. Far less hassle to just vote with your £50 cross channel ferry ticket and travel abroad. Let their economies benefit instead.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I hadn't heard of the Humber Bridge proposal. Do you know where it came from and who was promoting it? It might be something which could be resurrected.

I suspect it was on the Now defunct ARVE Forum?. It`s that far back. OR possibly MMM?. There was a bit of "Chatter" over the potential ACTUAL location. but it was Thought to be part of the "Park and Ride" @ Hessle? just by the Bridge.

Pete

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Most agree the issue is not one for central government but local.
However......
A point raised by John & Joan might well be both a root problem and could well be aimed at a central body

Car Parks cannot be used without planning permission

Planning permission is obviously a local body but ( big but :) ) if the underlying laws relating to car parks were looked at and the removal of the charter concerning their use was removed at a national level, would that not at least ease the situation ?

I am quite probably just talking squit but I would like to know if that is an avenue worth pursuing ?

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
aries would not work in this country , we all know why not!!!!
too bloody softly softly dont (or can't) evict travellers(Itinerants)
so no one will open one for that reason.
abroad they just move them on whenever and however they want, and the Itinerants know that:imoutahere:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been thinking about approaching our local council, but fairly certain I will run up against a brick wall. Very recenty a small car park up on the downs nowhere near any residents nothing there never any travellers been seen there, but they have just spent thousands installing steel bollards to stop larger vehicles entering, in the past occasionally the odd motorhome has parked overnight without any annoyance to anyone. And what makes my blood boil is we were walking our daughters dog up there and a local council van pulls in unlocks the posts they drive in sit there for an hour eating there lunch and leave, one rule for them, one for us council tax payers that fund these expensive bollards.

Me thinks it's easier to drive 20 miles to Newhaven and hop on a Ferry to where our money is appreciated.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I suspect it was on the Now defunct ARVE Forum?. It`s that far back. OR possibly MMM?. There was a bit of "Chatter" over the potential ACTUAL location. but it was Thought to be part of the "Park and Ride" @ Hessle? just by the Bridge.

Pete
Right, I'm with you now. It was never part of the Park & Ride and not an aire aimed at motorhomes but, rather, the adjacent Priory Park Lorry Park Truck Stop. At one time the operators allowed motorhomes to use the site but I don't know if that is still the case (difficult to find current information on it). There were never waste disposal facilities there but there was EHU available (provided really for lorries with refrigerated loads).
Most agree the issue is not one for central government but local.
However......
A point raised by John & Joan might well be both a root problem and could well be aimed at a central body

Car Parks cannot be used without planning permission

Planning permission is obviously a local body but ( big but :) ) if the underlying laws relating to car parks were looked at and the removal of the charter concerning their use was removed at a national level, would that not at least ease the situation ?

I am quite probably just talking squit but I would like to know if that is an avenue worth pursuing ?
I don't think there is any such underlying legislation/charter John. Parking is a land usage for which planning consent must be obtained, just like any other land usage (including habitation/camping). The vast majority of car parks only have consent for parking, not habitation. Not surprising really because the demand for habitation was probably never envisaged when they were built many years ago (and even now such demand applies only to relatively few). It will almost certainly remain a local matter.
Been thinking about approaching our local council, but fairly certain I will run up against a brick wall. Very recenty a small car park up on the downs nowhere near any residents nothing there never any travellers been seen there, but they have just spent thousands installing steel bollards to stop larger vehicles entering, in the past occasionally the odd motorhome has parked overnight without any annoyance to anyone. And what makes my blood boil is we were walking our daughters dog up there and a local council van pulls in unlocks the posts they drive in sit there for an hour eating there lunch and leave, one rule for them, one for us council tax payers that fund these expensive bollards.

Me thinks it's easier to drive 20 miles to Newhaven and hop on a Ferry to where our money is appreciated.
You should submit a FoI request asking for copies of all reports, minutes and any other relevant documents (including e-mails and other correspondence) which were/have been involved in the decision to install the bollards and why they can be removed for the convenience of council staff but not the general public.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I don't think there is any such underlying legislation/charter John. Parking is a land usage for which planning consent must be obtained, just like any other land usage (including habitation/camping). The vast majority of car parks only have consent for parking, not habitation. Not surprising really because the demand for habitation was probably never envisaged when they were built many years ago (and even now such demand applies only to relatively few). It will almost certainly remain a local matter.

And who decided originally that was the case Graham ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And who decided originally that was the case Graham ?
Central government, obviously, but it is a general rule, there is nothing specific to car parks which could be changed. It would, of course, be possible for central government to legislate to make a special case for car parks but that is more or less what these petitions are calling for anyway and highly unlikely to happen.
The most likely response of any government would be to say that all the necessary powers are already in place for local authorities and it is a matter best dealt with at local level.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Central government, obviously, but it is a general rule, there is nothing specific to car parks which could be changed. It would, of course, be possible for central government to legislate to make a special case for car parks but that is more or less what these petitions are calling for anyway and highly unlikely to happen.
The most likely response of any government would be to say that all the necessary powers are already in place for local authorities and it is a matter best dealt with at local level.

Which it patently wrong as too many local councils have councilors serving with a vested interest in not allowing such a thing as aires proceed ( esp in coastal areas )
Are those in central govt aware of the situation and if not how can it be brought to the attention of those that need to be made so?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should submit a FoI request asking for copies of all reports, minutes and any other relevant documents (including e-mails and other correspondence) which were/have been involved in the decision to install the bollards and why they can be removed for the convenience of council staff but not the general public.

I'll give it a go.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Which it patently wrong as too many local councils have councilors serving with a vested interest in not allowing such a thing as aires proceed ( esp in coastal areas )
Are those in central govt aware of the situation and if not how can it be brought to the attention of those that need to be made so?
This vested interest accusation is raised from time to time but how many councillors have been found to be using a vested interest to prevent aires? If any have been identified why haven't they (and their councils) been reported to the Local Government Ombudsman?

I have no idea whether central government are aware of any demand for aires though I suspect that if they are it is only through seeing petitions such as the one in the OP and dismissing them for the inaccurate timewasters which they are. There is only one way which has been shown to result in the provision of aires, as Nick highlighted earlier -
Where the demand for facilities has been identified and demonstrated they have been provided - Canterbury, Chester, Hawick & Portrush are examples. There are probably others.
If anyone seriously wants aires then they have to make a specific case for each specific location as it is impossible to make a blanket case covering the country as a whole. That factor alone demonstrates the fact that it is a local issue.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Right, I'm with you now. It was never part of the Park & Ride and not an aire aimed at motorhomes but, rather, the adjacent Priory Park Lorry Park Truck Stop. At one time the operators allowed motorhomes to use the site but I don't know if that is still the case (difficult to find current information on it). There were never waste disposal facilities there but there was EHU available (provided really for lorries with refrigerated loads).

The likelihood is you are correct. but at the time it was being suggested as the basis of a "proper" Aire. And a likely overnight stop for those using the HULL ferries?. some of whom had been using on street parking in the East of the City, whilst awaiting their Turn. A bit like the Esplanade at Dover.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back