LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Be careful you don't just generate a flurry of new No Parking signs in the carparks.

:helptitanic:

We already use Aldi carparks regularly, We make sure we pull in after 8.00pm (after closing) and we shop there the next morning.

If loads of [NO OVERNIGHT PARKING] signs spring up then we cannot claim ignorance.

June

Take care when parking in supermarket car parks - even when the shop is closed - to read the signs as to what is and what is not allowed. A number of companies (including Aldi and Tesco) are now installing CCTV cameras, which use Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR), in their carparks to identify vehicles that stay for more than a set time and then issue bills for staying too long.

See general warning Here.

Graham

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
No one appears to have mentioned why supermarkets and town center car parks have height barriers.

Also, what do we have in Britain that they don't have in the USA or Canada???

Gypsies , tinkers, itinerants

call them what you will, once they become en-camped on a store or town centre car park it costs £1000's to remove and clear up after them, sorry if that's a negative, personally I think its a great idea. :thumb:

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No one appears to have mentioned why supermarkets and town center car parks have height barriers.

Also, what do we have in Britain that they don't have in the USA or Canada???

Gypsies , tinkers, itinerants

maybe not Gypsies.. but they have itinerants just as we do ..
I've been reading about the problem with travelling RVers and illegal camping

one report .

Link Removed

and another about a man 'living' at Walmarts

Link Removed

there are plenty others .. and with the current economic climate and people losing their homes it's a problem that can only get worse ..
so call them what you may, it's not a problem unique to the UK

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
maybe not Gypsies.. but they have itinerants just as we do ..
I've been reading about the problem with travelling RVers and illegal camping

one report .

Link Removed

and another about a man 'living' at Walmarts

Link Removed

there are plenty others .. and with the current economic climate and people losing their homes it's a problem that can only get worse ..
so call them what you may, it's not a problem unique to the UK

jim

Thanks for those references Jim.

Interesting that there are the same sorts of allegations in the first report "Residents, fed up with drinking, garbage and an increase in rusty, beaten-down crash pads on wheels, are seeking to oust the vehicles from in front of homes and businesses." that we sometimes see here. Also that the second report includes "Houston does have a local ordinance prohibiting overnight RVs."

Seems the problem of "travellers" is not the only thing which is not unique to the UK. Maybe it is the provision of aires in some EU countries which is out of step with the world, not the UK :Eeek:

Graham

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
positive input

I know this may sound crazy ....with the current CAR industry climate and the government throwing cash their way all the time.. after all we must be a good sized portion of the "wheels" industry...perhaps now would be a good time to try and make some sort of stand for more facilities for MH'S albeit in the supermarket car-parks or local council facilities...........I know in Hastings ASDA are hoping to open a store...I will be writing to them to see if they may consider overnight parking for MH'S......the local council are taking the main car park away from the old town and building an ART GALLERY.!!

Now that's what I like to hear ... another go getter ... go for it... yipeeee! ::bigsmile:

I know Hastings well and not surprised re bloody art gallery ... yawn yawn ..zzzz Their council is still offering prisoners from Brixton nick council flats in Hastings on release you know !!!!:Eeek: Feel real sorry for you guys down there :Sad:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Heard about a new website on the radio this morning.

Keep Britain Tidy

Hope the link works. If not its:

[keepbritaintidy.org]

Anyone can log on and 'shop' someone (usually motorists) for dropping litter.

Maybe they can help us stamp out the ones who give the majority a bad name.

:helpsos:

Yes, this is what I am talking about, making a stand against these people that give us a bad name ... no more turning a blind eye! :thumb:

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
Now that's what I like to hear ... another go getter ... go for it... yipeeee! ::bigsmile:

I know Hastings well and not surprised re bloody art gallery ... yawn yawn ..zzzz Their council is still offering prisoners from Brixton nick council flats in Hastings on release you know !!!!:Eeek: Feel real sorry for you guys down there :Sad:
We do have a good bikers weekend though never any trouble and the town does well from it plus we have the Black Horse Telham music festival and the beer festival.... all get good support from the town and from outside..I won't go on about the points you have mentioned otherwise I could write a book on it!!! Hastings has improved........

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
no worries

You are a braver man than me. Any Neanderthal that empties his crap in the bushes is not someone I'd like to tackle. No respect for the environment, it'll have no respect for my body or MH.

OK it may back down in front of you but these days the routine would be your tyres slashed as soon as you turn your back. Or get a bigger group and wait for you.

NI has proved you can't beat thugs with force in a civilised manner. The Romans worked this out a long time ago. If they don't submit keep killing them until they did, leave alive just enough to spread the work. Boudicca is a prime example on this Island. The Church was once a brilliant control, even a Neanderthal can't attack that which it cannot see, but the church is a spent force these days.

No worries, take a crafty photo or two of them doing it & their van and reg and shop them to the police or the 'keep britain tidy' Website, as suggested above... where there is a will :winky:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
the PC brigade

Although I agree that it would be a good idea, the majority of supermarkets are in areas I would not want to park my van.

Also I agree that Aldi, Lidl or Netto could be a better bet than the others.

Thats a sweeping statement about Supermarkets ... you will have the PC brigade after you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hope you will spare the time to email the ones you have listed though, the more people that write, the better :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not just the UK

Council snubs motorhome parking plan in Australia..

same reason I suspect many councils in the UK are against aires .. vested interests!

Posted Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:00am AEST

* Map: Maryborough 4650
The Fraser Coast Regional Council in Queensland has rejected a proposal to provide free parking for motorhomes near the Maryborough CBD.

Lobby groups wanted the council to offer free parking for motorhomes for one night in special areas.

But council rejected the plan yesterday.

Councillor Gerard O'Connell, who supported the move, says the council voted against the plan because it was too expensive.

"I think councillors were concerned that it could have a detrimental effect on existing caravan park businesses and they were worried I think primarily because it would mean some extra cost or extra concerns for council," he said.

Cr O'Connell says the plan would have made Maryborough a more motorhome friendly city.

"I thought by setting up a few parks, and that's all it would have been, close to our central business district, that would be an opportunity to put the welcome mat out for these new travellers or visitors," he said.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Graham is quite right about Tesco's.
I undertook some work for them earlier on this year and they have a process rolling out of installing CCTV with ANPR modules included, they intend to charge those who overstay the "standard" 2 hours and they WILL invoice you from their office in Cardiff.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Council snubs motorhome parking plan in Australia..

same reason I suspect many councils in the UK are against aires .. vested interests!

Posted Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:00am AEST

* Map: Maryborough 4650

I've no doubt that is a consideration in areas where caravan sites exist. All councils, when considering developments of any nature, have to take into account the possible effects on businesses which, after all, provide employment for local residents. So long as the process is undertaken honestly and any personal interests of councillors are properly declared then it is a valid exercise. If there is evidence to show that the process is not undertaken honestly we have the local government ombudsman to complain to.

What we need to show councils is that there is a difference between attracting people who would wish to stay on a conventional site for several nights and those who just wish to stay with minimal facilities overnight and/or park up during the day. We need to show councils that provision would bring extra tourism to their area (instead of people not wanting sites going elsewhere).

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What we need to show councils is that there is a difference between attracting people who would wish to stay on a conventional site for several nights and those who just wish to stay with minimal facilities overnight and/or park up during the day. We need to show councils that provision would bring extra tourism to their area (instead of people not wanting sites going elsewhere).

Graham

Graham
I totally agree.

Motorhomers are a different breed from caravaners, most of us don't want or need fancy sites, that's why we bought a motorhome, I suspect that hasn't been understood by many councils.
When we (motorhomers) look for an aire and can't find one we move on.. we don't book into the nearest site just to be relived of £25 to park for the night.. so the town loses out .. not just one night, but any potential future trade is lost .. and of course we go on forums and spread the word, Aldeburgh is a good example.

Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham
I totally agree.

Motorhomers are a different breed from caravaners, most of us don't want or need fancy sites, that's why we bought a motorhome, I suspect that hasn't been understood by many councils.
When we (motorhomers) look for an aire and can't find one we move on.. we don't book into the nearest site just to be relived of £25 to park for the night.. so the town loses out .. not just one night, but any potential future trade is lost .. and of course we go on forums and spread the word, Aldeburgh is a good example.

Jim

Your totally right, Jim, that many councils don't understand the difference. That's what we found with Redcar & Cleveland when negotiating in regard to provision at Guisborough.

It's basically that the subject simply hasn't been raised with them before so, with the relevant legislation talking about "caravans" as a coverall term, they've never had reason to consider the difference previously.

That is why positive input from motorhome owners is so important if provision is to be achieved in future.

Graham

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
here here!

Your totally right, Jim, that many councils don't understand the difference. That's what we found with Redcar & Cleveland when negotiating in regard to provision at Guisborough.

It's basically that the subject simply hasn't been raised with them before so, with the relevant legislation talking about "caravans" as a coverall term, they've never had reason to consider the difference previously.

That is why positive input from motorhome owners is so important if provision is to be achieved in future.

Graham

Yes here here!
:thumb:

So plan of action is then:

• All MH owners to take part in lobbying
  • All to bombard all supermarkets with letters & emails
  • All to bombard Councils with letters & emails
  • Lobby MPs
  • In all mail to distinguish between MHs and caravaners, travellars, and so on.
  • Emphasis to be placed on financial gain to be made
  • Outline the Successful way this has been done in EU, USA & Canada and so on
  • Outline ways this can be acheived, such clear rules to be laid down by them.
Can anyone add to this? Or give any reason at all why they can't take a few mins to send an email or 2 themselves ???

happy lobbying :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Yes here here!
:thumb:

So plan of action is then:

• All MH owners to take part in lobbying
  • All to bombard all supermarkets with letters & emails
  • All to bombard Councils with letters & emails
  • Lobby MPs
  • In all mail to distinguish between MHs and caravaners, travellars, and so on.
  • Emphasis to be placed on financial gain to be made
  • Outline the Successful way this has been done in EU, USA & Canada and so on
  • Outline ways this can be acheived, such clear rules to be laid down by them.
Can anyone add to this? Or give any reason at all why they can't take a few mins to send an email or 2 themselves ???

happy lobbying :thumb:

all for it .. but I think we need a pro forma email .. I think Graham has one we could use .

Jim

S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
I found this on another site, don't know if any one else has seen it but I thought it looked interestng:-
Tesco
On 5th January 2007, Tesco stated "Most of our carparks are managed by outside companies. I am not aware of any restrictions apart from a time limit on parking. Their parking Terms & Conditions are displayed in the carparks."
There is a store location search facility on the Tesco web site Link Removed.
User Contribution:You can camp overnight in any Tesco's if you ask the manager. This came about because the managing Director has a Motorhome and I was told of this and I and My friends in the MCC Kent group. Have tried it out and it has been OK. (Thanks to MN for providing this information on 16 November 2007).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I found this on another site, don't know if any one else has seen it but I thought it looked interestng:-
Tesco
On 5th January 2007, Tesco stated "Most of our carparks are managed by outside companies. I am not aware of any restrictions apart from a time limit on parking. Their parking Terms & Conditions are displayed in the carparks."
There is a store location search facility on the Tesco web site Link Removed.
User Contribution:You can camp overnight in any Tesco's if you ask the manager. This came about because the managing Director has a Motorhome and I was told of this and I and My friends in the MCC Kent group. Have tried it out and it has been OK. (Thanks to MN for providing this information on 16 November 2007).

Yes, that's on my web site - the page I referred to on this thread on Sunday evening (see first page of thread).

The one caveat I would mention is the one I posted the other day and which ShiftZZ has confirmed. Tescos are installing ANPR cameras to enforce stays of no longer that 2 hours, so check notices before parking.

The pro-formas which Jim referred to are Here. Please, anyone, feel free to use/adapt them as you will.

Graham

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I dont want to be racist or cause offence but the height barriers are probably there to keep the gipsies out and supermarkets by allowing overnight parking would end up with all sorts of problems. This problem is better controlled in Europe and the states that is why there is more freedom to park.

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Can I help?

Hi Elvis,

this is a great idea can we swop email address'? I would be really happy to give you a hand drafting a letter. We live in France and don't want to MH in the UK because of the cost of campsites.

I'll have to get 'he who understands the technology' to show me how we can contact each other and I'll be in touch.

Sue

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
cool

Hi Elvis,

this is a great idea can we swop email address'? I would be really happy to give you a hand drafting a letter. We live in France and don't want to MH in the UK because of the cost of campsites.

I'll have to get 'he who understands the technology' to show me how we can contact each other and I'll be in touch.

Sue

Thats great, yes :Smile: Just email me a private message on here and I will reply with the details ... there are some great templates suggested on here so will try and use one of those and add all the bits that people of posted on here and try and produce something that we can all use :thumb:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
it's ok

I dont want to be racist or cause offence but the height barriers are probably there to keep the gipsies out and supermarkets by allowing overnight parking would end up with all sorts of problems. This problem is better controlled in Europe and the states that is why there is more freedom to park.

Stateing a probable cause or a fact is not being racist and you are probably correct, although, just to be ballanced, it could also be to stop trucks clogging the car park up at night too.

The above issue will also be raised in the letter: preventing MHs pulling into get provisions, not just night parking, valued customers and so on, MHs being vistimised because tied to same brush....

Thanks for your valued input :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Thinking back to what one supermarket chain employee told me. Many barriers are the gate type (about waist/chest height) rather than height barriers. They are there to stop by racers using the car parks overnight and damaging the tarmac, as much as stopping people setting up illegal camps.

As mentioned above supermarkets, on the whole, want MHs there during their opening hours so that they can sell to us.

Graham

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Stateing a probable cause or a fact is not being racist and you are probably correct, although, just to be ballanced, it could also be to stop trucks clogging the car park up at night too.

The above issue will also be raised in the letter: preventing MHs pulling into get provisions, not just night parking, valued customers and so on, MHs being vistimised because tied to same brush....

Thanks for your valued input :thumb:

Tesco at Lockerbie have a barrier & when I asked why was told it was to stop Trucks parking in their car park.

It seems that the area was used by the truckers as a stop before the store was built so they still come to park.

The barrier is quite high, not 2m like some, so many MH could get under it & they open it during the day. In fact I am very wary when going in when in our MH as they don't always push it right back. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back