uh,oh!!! Looks like windows will get 5-30 slower next patch tuesday. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett ... do you know of a way to find out the download size of these updates? I can't find an answer on Mr Google but thought my mate Mr Gromett might know! :D
If you are on about windows updates then sorry I don't know :(

I use linux. On linux we get all the information we need..

Here is an example that fortuitiously just turned up. You can see that it tells you type of update, the level and gives you the option to install it or not.

Then there is the description section which tells you what this particular update is for, the changelog gives very detailed description of what is changing including the CVE code so you can go and see the details of the exploit and what is needed to fix it.

Right at the bottom is the size.

No update on Linux affects the running of the system, So you can set the update going and carry on with your work. No updates are ever massive. And no update ever FORCES you to reboot.

I love linux, nice and transparent and doesn't get in my way (y)...

upload_2018-1-4_17-39-55.png

Sorry none of that answers your question or helps you :(

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
It appears to be between about 300 and 600 MB for Windows 10 (it includes other updates).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
:mad: :swear: :swear2:

Just done updates and left it downloading them on my laptop whilst I watched a DVD with hubby, before it started I had just under 3gb left (re-sets to 40gb on 6th) so didn't think anything of it ... after the film hubby went on his pc and found that the update(s) had taken us 4gb over our allowance ... and we now had a charge of £49!!! :Eeek:

I immediately rang Three and spoke to a nice Indian chap who said that there wasn't a 'cap' on it despite us being told it was put on automatically when we took out the contract, instead he told us that we had to specifically request it once our account was 'opened' so had never been done ... to say we were annoyed was an understatement. :swear2:

He said he'd put me through to complaints to see if they could do anything about it, after a short wait whilst he explained the situation to them, I was then put through to an Irish lady called Shannon. She double checked with me what had happened and then went away to speak to her manager about it, a couple of minutes later she came back and said that as we've been loyal customers, always paid our bills in full and on time, and had never ever gone over out allowance in the 14 months we've had the contract, that they would credit the £49 to the account so there'd be no additional charge. :clap2:

I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about it as I thought I'd just get a 'tough' or at best a reduced charge, but to have it cleared completely is great! She also confirmed that the cap is now in place and will remain there. (y) Phew!!! :D

So whatever the updates were for me they've taken 7gb of my allowance so if you are on a limited allowance contract or only have a bit of allowance left best to wait a while to do the 'fix' in case it downloads other updates too!!! :)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
You've probably updated to the latest version of Windows 10, we had to do that before it would find the new fix. Fortunately we are currently using an unlimited data Portuguese sim card - which is why we decided to bring both of our laptops up to date today.We hadn't previously downloaded any updates for several months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Minxy Girl Just did a kernel update. 76Mb download, took 4 minutes to install. No reboot was imposed on me. The new kernel will activate after I reboot until then the current one will continue to run until I choose to reboot.

It took 4 minutes to install and I continued to watch netflix while it was going.

I love Linux :D

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Glad you've got it sorted @Minxy Girl and thanks for posting about having to phone three to get the cap in place.

We're on the same 40Gb deal and I thought it was automatically capped so will phone tomorrow to get it put in place. OH has wifi on his devices when at work as he is on unlimited mega fast broadband but then forgets to switch it off at home and managed to use 12Gb in one day last month! Though I have since discovered I can block specific devices accessing the router (so now his phone stays on it's own unlimited data rather than using the limited home three broadband - shh, I don't think he's noticed yet :whistle: )

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Somewhere in the back of the cupboard sits a laptop with a 486 CPU.

Looks like I might need it again the way things are going. :rolleyes:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just got a deal from Bouygues telecom (we live in France) with 200Gb per month 4g+ for €32.99 per month including the box. Decided to let the PC do an update and it took 11Gb then at the end said it had failed. 200Gb sounds a lot until that sort of thing happens. Just ditched the Satellite Internet because it was so slow and expensive but did have unlimited overnight which is when I did the updates.
The trouble is that the OH's PC will now need doing as well it appears to be a full Win10 update.
@Gromett I have an old reasonably fast XP PC which I fancy trying Linux on which flavour would you recommend. Last time I tried it a long time ago I found it too geeky especially the help forums who were basically insulting to anybody who didn't speak Linux.
Steve

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I have recently undertaken an upgrade of Windows 10, which it sounds by size of your downloads is what you are doing. You can do an offline upgrade whereby you download the executable and then do the upgrade having backed up your data.

I'll see if I can dig out the MS link which gives you the various options. I also changed the boot disk to an SSD (solid state drive) at the same time and it has made a huge difference.

Won't be able to post the link for a few hours as out for lunch after a long walk.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Gromett I have an old reasonably fast XP PC which I fancy trying Linux on which flavour would you recommend. Last time I tried it a long time ago I found it too geeky especially the help forums who were basically insulting to anybody who didn't speak Linux.
Steve
I've used Linux Mint Cinnamon for a number of years and found it fairly easy to use. A bit Windowish!
https://linuxmint.com/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back