Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Hi was wondering , if anyone can advise which is the best way to travel to Spain from the uk we also have a small dog . We travelled to France last year did the Normandy beaches . And now we want to do Spain and cross from uk saving as much driving time as possible .thanks in advance :)

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Thanks but do you know which is the best place to cross and land from the uk?? Portsmouth to Bilbao for instance??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Jeff and terri - welcome to the fun house!

If you can give an idea of how long are you planning on being away for it will help people advise you on the best route for you and also which part of Spain you intend to go to.

Taking a dog into Spain isn't a problem as we've taken our 3 there a couple of times now without an issue.

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Time is going to be open. So no problem there , was thinking of south Spain and probably Portugal. Also was wondering is it better to book a ferry in advance or just turn up . Thanks

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Going Sunday night. Tunnel, Gravelines. Then south. We are taking the dog and she is not aware that we have left th UK. Works for us. I do like driving though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is a much discussed question so stand by for incoming. :)
If you really want to reduce driving then for you Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander would be the answer. We go to Santander from Plymouth but that's because we live on the outskirts of Plymouth. From Suffolk (posh Essex) Portsmouth would be easier. :)

Downsides include cost of the ferry and if you are a poor sailor 24 hours in a storm may not be your idea of the best way to start your hols.

For most the best way is a short crossing over the Channel then drive through France. If you have the time to go slowly and it isn't the depths of winter this is a great way to go. But in winter it is usually just a foot down flog, which plenty of folk do. The decision is yours. :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..now we want to do Spain and cross from uk saving as much driving time as possible.

Do you mean drive as little as possible, or spend as little time as possible driving?

We drove from NW England to S Spain as follows:

Day 1: Home - Dover
Day 2: Dover (ferry) to Calais then drove to Parc Futuroscope
Day 3: Futuroscope to Anglet
Day 4: Anglet to Aranjuez
Day 5: Aranjuez to Granada

If you don't want to drive much and are happy to pay more, get the ferry to Spain, then maybe drive 2 days to the S coast.

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Also can I get a open return ticket or do I just get a single. Thinking of going from Portsmouth to Bilbao as suggested by John :) any ideas roughly on prices . Thanks again :)

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
I don't mind the driving side . It's just the time of year bit cold in France lol was hoping to get to the sun quicker :) thanks for all your replies so far

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Also can I get a open return ticket or do I just get a single. Thinking of going from Portsmouth to Bilbao as suggested by John :) any ideas roughly on prices . Thanks again :)
I think that Brittany Ferries operate the Economie service on this route (could be wrong) that means you get a long sailing with sod all service. Personally, I prefer the restaurants, bars and entertainment if I'm on a boat for 24 hours!

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Hi on a totally different subject I'm new to this site and its workings. Anyway here's my problem I joined on my own had a look round. Then told my missus to join. So I set up a double member jeff&terri only problem is when I now go to a different pic etc and go to log in using the same e-mail address it takes me straight into my single account and cannot log into my double one which I'm on now on my tablet . Confusing I know but if I go to PCs to log in using the same email I cannot get into this account just the single one I set up first ..phew!!!!

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp