Tyres (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I was getting a quote today for a spare wheel to be fitted to our recently acquired motorhome and the chap advised us to replace all our tyres as they are 6 years old - nothing to do with tread wear, but he said they degrade internally.

is this true? If so my pocket money is going to take a hammering

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think he is right unfortunately. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2014-9-11_15-59-36.jpeg

and just to be sure he is telling you right, you can check the manufactured date, shown as week / year in that order, this is a confusing example but made week 3 2004 (y)

images

another example

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
they normally degrade with uv and if uv can get inside a tyre its a new one on me
I am sure that once you have left heel have them sold as part worn in a blink

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The 'chap ' was correct to advise new tyres.. at six years they are best replaced.. however, if there is no visible cracks on the side walls then there is no immediate urgency.. but I would still take the advice and replace as soon as you can afford them .. not worth risking a blow out .

degrading on the inside is a new one on me also..

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
The tyres look in fab condition.... Lots of tread and not a mark on them......

Just feels unnatural to replace them.....

But for safety sake I guess I'd better....

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I changed my tyres this july they were 9years old
Ive had the van since it was 4 years old and kept a close check o the tyres. It was only this year that they showed any sign of craking on the sidewall and then it was only minor. I asked the fitters who changed the wheels what the tyres were like inside they were fine.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Inside, UV, naaaaaaaa.

Outside, stood in the sun all the time (no covers), UV! yes quite possibly.

No cracks, still supple, ( deflate it on purpose) 6 yrs mmmm, not sure.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
When you have experienced a blow out at 65mph on a Scottish motorway you do not take chances with tyre age/wear. Last year before leaving home checked my tyres and replaced the front two,about 50,000 miles done, the rear two looked good for another year or even two, they were 2008. The rear nearside Blew Apart, you may of seen tyre bits on motorways, well I contributed to this. After recovery, that's both the vehicle and myself I drove to Kwik Fit in Inverness and bought two for the rear.
My Hymer I bought last November in Spain had 43,000 km on the clock from new, original tyres still fitted Year 2006, the first thing I did was change ALL tyres, we had a lucky escape on the previous van, didn't want to chance my luck.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I was getting a quote today for a spare wheel to be fitted to our recently acquired motorhome and the chap advised us to replace all our tyres as they are 6 years old - nothing to do with tread wear, but he said they degrade internally.

is this true? If so my pocket money is going to take a hammering

I would get a second opinion

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I do think that MH, caravan, trailer tyres are totally different from car, van, truck tyres as they are mostly stood standing in one position for most of the year with all the weight on a credit card size piece of the tyre.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I'm changing my front two before going "abroad" for possibly 3 months. About 7 years old but look fine with plenty of tread . Not M&S rated tho as the rear ones are.
Just don't want to get caught out if it gets nippy in a place where Johnny Foreigner stipulates summer only tyres are a no no.
From the research I've done and tyre people I've spoken to, if it looks good it most likely is. You can have a blow out on any tyre regardless of age.
Can't remember where I saw it now but I saw a Michelin advice post saying that up to 10 years was ok as long as they were in a "good condition".
To be honest, if I was touring the uk I wouldn't bother changing them.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I went to change mine, 6 year old, was advised they were in really good order, only 12,000 miles and not a crack in sight, he lifted the van and fully rotated and inspected both sides of each,(not internally) but said I'd be rash to change them, they had given me a great quote to change them too ! made a promise to call in again 2015 before I do my continental tour. I dread a high speed (well 60 - 65 anyway) blow out, so I am on the case !

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
A new set of Continental Vanco tyres are circa £675 fitted..

I think I will keep what I have until early next year and then change them.

Now about the cost and palaver of getting a spare wheel fitted to the underside of the motorhome....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A new set of Continental Vanco tyres are circa £675 fitted..

I think I will keep what I have until early next year and then change them.

Now about the cost and palaver of getting a spare wheel fitted to the underside of the motorhome....

Is the quote for all tyres including spare?

excuse my nosiness but why change the spare and not the others?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
solve both issues at once
Broken Link Removed
4x new tyres on wheels for under £400, provided yours is on 15" wheels

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I'm changing my front two before going "abroad" for possibly 3 months. About 7 years old but look fine with plenty of tread . Not M&S rated tho as the rear ones are.
Just don't want to get caught out if it gets nippy in a place where Johnny Foreigner stipulates summer only tyres are a no no.
From the research I've done and tyre people I've spoken to, if it looks good it most likely is. You can have a blow out on any tyre regardless of age.
Can't remember where I saw it now but I saw a Michelin advice post saying that up to 10 years was ok as long as they were in a "good condition".
To be honest, if I was touring the uk I wouldn't bother changing them.
Most tyre failures are the result of penetration of the tyre and it doesn't take much to cause a bang and it's put down to tyre wall failure.
If your traveling at 55mpt the tyre will shred very fast Sid wall disintegrate rubber fly's.
Folks put this down to tyre failure in most cases it is penetration of a foregen body.
I have had several punctures blow out's over the years
and most I have attributed to foreign object penetration's
Apart from one this was cased when one of my driver hit the curb damaging the wall of the tyre puncturing it immediately but drove on it till there was nothing left to cover up rather than tell me he threw away the hole wheel.
He told me where it had happened I had watt was left of the tyre and rim recovered the damage to tyre and rim matched I sacked him the next day it was my own son

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That's far too much to pay if its for 4 tyres and not 6, £675.

Get some bought and then take them somewhere to get fitted, you will save a bomb on that price, look at oponeo, some good deals on winters at the minute, buy before they shoot up in price shortly.

Paul.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
These are a direct replacement for the ones already on it.

Decent motorhome tyres rather than van/ lorry tyres.

I've never been a lover of cheap tyres.....

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
That's far too much to pay if its for 4 tyres and not 6, £675.

Get some bought and then take them somewhere to get fitted, you will save a bomb on that price, look at oponeo, some good deals on winters at the minute, buy before they shoot up in price shortly.

Paul.

Will have a look - thanks

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Is the quote for all tyres including spare?

excuse my nosiness but why change the spare and not the others?

I don't have a spare- getting a separate quote for fixing one under the van. The price I got for the tyres was for 4 fitted.

Just looked at the Openeo site (thanks Paul) and much cheaper - reckon I will get them delivered and pay a local fitter.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
225 I guess you mean no such size as 255