LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The grip will be a lot better than you think, i use these on my Brompton (same Kojak thread pattern) and they are really good. Leaves and slippery moss type surfaces are to be avoided though...

They'll certainly be faster;)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
A tyre on a bicycle always has contact with tarmac.
If you have a tread you'll have less rubber touching the ground than a slick.

What you know about aquaplaning is from cars with much wider tyres.
A bicycle can't aquaplane.

Mud & oil are a game changer tho :eek:
But that's just describing the tyre grip on wet road surfaces.
There are other aspects to riding in the wet to consider. Like increased braking distances, road markings (like white lines) and metalwork.
From Road Cycling UK: How to ride in the wet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
But who rides in the wet, you have to be mad:LOL:
:)
I tend not to go out on a training or fun ride if it's raining at the start or rain is certain to hit me mid ride but mistakes do happen.

But when I used to tour on a bike, sometimes there isn't a choice & you will get wet :)

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Well tyres seem ok. Gave them a small 6 mile test wasnt raining but roads where wet. They seem good. Never broke any records due to roads and had been out early so legs a bit tired. So bring on the sun and dry roads

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
:)
I tend not to go out on a training or fun ride if it's raining at the start or rain is certain to hit me mid ride but mistakes do happen.

But when I used to tour on a bike, sometimes there isn't a choice & you will get wet :)

Yeah the funny thing is that i avoid rain like the plague, even use radar weather to reduce the chances of bumping into a shower and yet if i do i tend to enjoy ito_O 2 worst "got soaked" sessions were both in the UK last August, totally drenched but all good fun.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
My tyres are defo faster. Simple as that. One thing I can also feel the handle bars vibrating more. May be due to them being pumped up more

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Pump tyres up to their max pressure when you fit them.
But for more comfort, set them to about 80% of max for rides.

That 80% isn’t very scientific.
You need tyres firm enough to avoid pinch flats and soft enough that you don’t feel every tarmac irregularity.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Pinch flats?

this is when the tyre has a small amount of air in it (mountain biking it's often the case) and when the tyre is squashed down the inner tube sneaks in-between the tyre and the rim and as the pressure is removed from the tyre the inner tube is pinched between said rim and tyre, often resulting in a puncture.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Pumping the tyres to the max is required to get the tyre to seat (fit into the rim) correctly, so part of the fitting process really. After that you can then set them at your required PSI. 55 and 60 seems reasonable to me but you could probably go less. The 80% guide is a good guide though

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
At the end of the day they don't have a lot less useable tread than my Gatorskins......

Continental-GatorSkin-Road-Wire-Bead-Tyre-Road-Race-Tyres-Black-TYC22300-1.jpg

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
My tyres say 27.5 x 1.95. When you say thinner how thin could I go and it still be ok? Also you say seem a lot faster do you mean faster. Want to go futher as well.
As a Bike Mechanic I always say...look for the Ertro number not the inches x inches....lol
Anyway....looking at your tyres and thinking you'd be mixing it up on road and trail but mostly road.....
What I tend to do is signpost to Marathon Mondial tyres...a touring tyre for all surfaces and puncture resistant,I have some Mountain bike customers who mainly road, who use them for the occasional tails, canal banks etc. So.... you really should check you tyre walls to be exact.....but you could opt for 50-584 or even narrower....so long as you go for the 584 size

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back