Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
:Smile:Hi All
With all this talk about tyres, got me thinking about putting some new tyres on our van after all, we've done over 42000 miles on these over three years, and now the dreaded MOT looms.:Angry:
I am finding it hard to get hold of Michelin camping tyres:Sad:, so what would the recomendation of you learned lot woould be.:Eeek::Eeek:
My van is Kontiki 645 :Smile:
Regards Ray n Geri

:RollEyes:Memories live longer than dreams:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
Ive just googled Michelin Camping Tyres and there they are. What problems are you having

Link Removed -

Jim
:Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rayb182

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
:Smile:Yep googled michelin tyres, but when I tried to buy some diffent matter:Sad:
Ray n Geri

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
hi, have a friend with own tyre firm, we have put firestone van guard on ours, have a higher weight load, and more heavy duty build , dont feel any different and were cheaper, were not bad in snow , good luck :winky:

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
Kumho tyres on mine. Very well regarded by a lot of people. Also phoned them with weighbridge figures and given recommended pressures.
VMax

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
I'm surprised that you cant get the Michelin however, I have Hancook on my mh. Everytime this issue comes up ie what brand tyres to get everybody seems to have diffent tyres.

It seems to me that you but a mid range cost tyre and smile and look happy. I incidentley woudnt buy a Michelin Camping tyre as I have had one blow out on me on the motorway. It was less tha a week old. No feedback from Michelin.

Jim

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
woudnt buy a Michelin Camping tyre as I have had one blow out on me on the motorway. It was less tha a week old. No feedback from Michelin.

Jim

I once had a new HGV trailer with 12 new Michelin tyres, 3 of them blew out within the first 1,000 miles, all in the same place on the tyrewall, clearly a manufacturing fault. I still think Michelin are a good manufacturer, but even they are capable of producing faulty tyres sometimes.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there really is a significant difference between 'Camping' tyres and Van tyres?
Or is it just a case of some motorhome owners are prepared to pay more than white van man if they think they are getting a special tyre :RollEyes:

Romahomepete

Free Member
Dec 13, 2007
Funster No
Barum Vannis on my Romahome to replace 3 1/2 year old Michelin Agilis van tyres not worn (fronts still with 5mm tread rears 7mm after 30000miles) out but dangerously cracked between tread and wall.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Id say it was the latter Peter. Michelin stumbled on a great sales gimmik with these camping tyres. There of no substantial difference to as you say the white van man tyres.

Now when a lot of people hear "Camping Tyre" they assume it to be a pre-requisite for the purchase of tyres for their mh/rv and as you know its not.

Jim

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
As Stated previously by RichardnGill, www.tyre-shopper.co.uk is your best option.
When you enter your vehicle details in their site they advise you which tyres are best giving reviews & ratings.
Having been to our local NTS for a quote where they gave me a price of £105 each for four tyres in stock. Buying on line through Tyre Shopper we had better tyres delivered to the same NTS store within 24 hrs. at £79 each, a saving of £104, and they had a better rating for a campervan !
An added bonus was that the tyres were manufactured only 3 weeks previous. Stock tyres can be 12 months old or more, reducing your 5 year age limit !
Cheers, Denny.:thumb:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Might be interesting to ask the Caravan Club what Technical Data they have to support this 5 year age limit, since nobody else appears to have any.

Would they bother to reply?

(All the blow outs I have had have been on tyres less than 5 years old)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back