Tyres (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have always run my motorhomes on "proper" Camper tyres in the past.

The tyres on my present one are about ready for replacing, (wear, not age), as we cover quite a few miles.

NOW........

Our m/h is on a 2015 Fiat Ducato chassis. It is great to drive but the suspension, particularly the rear axle, is harsh to say the least.

In my understanding "Camper" tyres have stiffer sidewalls than conventional van tyres so, if I replace with commercial van tyres this time am I likely to "soften" the ride a bit due to the softer sidewalls?(n)

Worries regarding the tyre "taking a flat" if parked up for long periods do not apply in our case. The m/h is used a lot.

I would be grateful for comments from anyone who has experience of running on both?(y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I removed the "Camper" tyres on our Autosleeper a few weeks ago & replaced them with normal commercial tyres & the difference is truly remarkable. I like you are more likely to wear tyres out by use not standing for months at a time.
The ride now is very compliant & a real revelation.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Used to have camper tyres but changed to commercial tyres and as @ambulancekidd said, nice ride (now, now).
However, bear in mind that in France (apparently), you need the same tyre replaced so I'd originally got 4 tyres and as I couldn't guarantee that they'd have my tyre, I changed to all 5 replaced. The spare camper had never been used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I removed the "Camper" tyres on our Autosleeper a few weeks ago & replaced them with normal commercial tyres & the difference is truly remarkable. I like you are more likely to wear tyres out by use not standing for months at a time.
What tyre did you buy?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Used to have camper tyres but changed to commercial tyres and as @ambulancekidd said, nice ride (now, now).
However, bear in mind that in France (apparently), you need the same tyre replaced so I'd originally got 4 tyres and as I couldn't guarantee that they'd have my tyre, I changed to all 5 replaced. The spare camper had never been used.
What tyre did you buy?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You need to be sure that the tyres you are substituting are capable of carrying the max axle loads at their design pressure and suitable speed rating as camper tyres generally have very high inflation pressures to carry the load and therefore need the stiffer sidewalls .

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I’m surprised, you’d thought that the original tyres would provide a smoother ride

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I’m surprised, you’d thought that the original tyres would provide a smoother ride
The chassis and suspension was designed for commercial use, not recreational use, and as such designed to use commercial tyres.
Motorhomes have been around for decades.....'camping' tyres haven't.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
You need to be sure that the tyres you are substituting are capable of carrying the max axle loads at their design pressure and suitable speed rating as camper tyres generally have very high inflation pressures to carry the load and therefore need the stiffer sidewalls .
Yes, understood.

Like for like rating is required. However, vans also do high speeds when loaded. I was informed by our local independent tyre supplier that the only problem for motorhomes, on commercial tyres, is the less stiff walls bowing when stood for prolonged periods.

Ours doesn't stand around.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
The chassis and suspension was designed for commercial use, not recreational use, and as such designed to use commercial tyres.
Motorhomes have been around for decades.....'camping' tyres haven't.
Yes but the chassis and suspension wasn't designed to have a large wooden box attached to it either, therefore can't be classed as commercial PJ

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes but the chassis and suspension wasn't designed to have a large wooden box attached to it either, therefore can't be classed as commercial PJ
There are plenty of Luton vans running around. Wooden boxes on wheels, surely.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Camping tyres can also develop flat spots when parked for long periods that's why they are pumped up to 80psi until they are sold ,then you have to investigate to get the correct pressures because the dealer won't known.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
There are plenty of Luton vans running around. Wooden boxes on wheels, surely.
Fair comment, not considered that one
Still think I would stick to camper tyres, if only to ensure the insurance company didn't have a get out if involved in an accident

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Camping tyres can also develop flat spots when parked for long periods that's why they are pumped up to 80psi until they are sold ,then you have to investigate to get the correct pressures because the dealer won't known.
Yes, we had that problem with our present m/h. Lost about three fillings before realising the problem.

Even with pressures adjusted to axle weights the ride is still harsher than I would like. Hence the question.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Fair comment, not considered that one
Still think I would stick to camper tyres, if only to ensure the insurance company didn't have a get out if involved in an accident
Now that is yet another thing to consider.

As one of my old bosses used to say ..... " For every solution there is a new problem".

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
So I have two posts reporting improved ride on commercial tyres. Does anyone else have experience of both?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So, Lutons and refrigerated Tesco delivery vans must be built on tractors.
No offense but that statement is utter nonsense.
It's still a commercial chassis whether it has a M/H body, a Luton/fridge body or a flatbed.
They are designed to run at maximum weight, whether they do or not, on commercial tyres

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I really can't understand the regular debate regarding tyres. They are one of the most important safety features and yet people are prepared to compromise on their purchase. Camper tyres are technically different for a good reason and whether you cover high or low mileage it is crucial to follow manufacturers guidance. Many tyre dealers have been telling their customers for years that this tyre or that tyre is suitable and often they are talking through their proverbial. I would never consider fitting any thing but genuine camper tyres. Rightly or wrongly vehicle and tyre manufacturers assume a proportion of a vehicles running will unladen or lightly laden whereas motorho mes will be close to max weight all or most of time.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you want the highest load rated tyre you can forget camper tyres, check the sidewalls on Michelin camper at 116 rating vs Continental fourseasons at 121 rating and you will find the Continentals are much stiffer and heavier and snowflake and mountain marked for the winter, thats why the likes of Niesmann+Bischoff and Morelo fit them as standard on their top vans

I believe I fitted the best tyre, and its not a camper and doesn't need to be.

Martin

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!