Tyres whats your preference? (1 Viewer)

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
I need a set of LT225/75R16 I am not sure what brand to get, best quote so far is Avon, I thought they made make up and stuff like that, which tyre brand do you recommend?

2escapees

Deleted User
Continental without a doubt...they might be the cheapest!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Don't know if its of any use but if you google "black circle tyres" there is a web site that gives you a code to get a discount when you go into their site, money off voucher can't be bad ! tip was on moneysavingexpert.com email:thumb:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Avon are standard fitting tyres on Rolls Royce and Bently cars!
A very good tyre!
I would highly reccommend them and i used to be a tyre fitter!
I have four on my Motorhome!

PS. Tyres have two extremes!
You have tyres like Yokahama that are a really soft compound tyre!
Stick to the road like glue but last about 6 months!
And tyres like Michelin that are a hard compound!
Last forever but no road grip at all!

Avon Tyres Ltd - Home

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if I was you I think I would go for the cheapest I could find but steer clear of anything with nylon sidewalls (I do not think they make them for comercial vans)The milage done by most m/h's will not wear them out but reading on some forums they recon to replace tyres at 6,yes 6 yrs !!!
terry

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
what tyres

hi edgie,ive been involved in the tyre industry for about 35yrs and owned and run my own tyre retail busines for 24yrs.in my opinion the best motorhome and rv tyre produced is michelin,but unfortunately they are very expensive and out of reach for many people.on feb 1 michelin annonced a 14% increase in their prices,blamed on the euro.i think they will price themselves out of the market if they carry on.next to michelin i would place bridgestone which is a japanese tyre and then kuhmo which is a good mid range tyre.we advise our motorhome customers to change their tyres every 5-6yrs.i think that is essential.and always make sure you purchase tyres with the correct load & speed indices for your motorhome.black circle has been mentioned but always get prices on fitting,balancing and t/l valves when buying from the internet (be careful!!!)at the end of the day you will always get a better more honest deal from and independant local tyre dealer.(someone you can talk to and get good advice):thumb:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron W

Regarding tyres, I had a set of Avon tyres fitted and within 3K miles the internal rubber delaminated. I put in a claim, via the tyre people, and was told by Avon these tyres were for commercial only and not suitable for the a motorhome and it was recommended to fit Michelin Motorhome tyres. This I have since done even though at the time hard to get hold of.
Todate no problems with these and most motorhomes appear to have these fitted as standard. Good luck

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ron :thumb: these tyres have been developed especially for m/h's ie fully loaded all the time but costly.:thumb:They have spotted a niche in the market for motor homers with probably more money than CS :ROFLMAO: Most m/h are based on commercial vehicles that manage to plough up and down the roads daily without problem.I personally think it is a marketing con :ROFLMAO:thought up by the tyre people who believe that lots of m/h owners will pay stupid prices for there pride and joy :Eeek:A bit like the ones who pay £600 for a solar panel but never go without EHU :ROFLMAO:
Not saying you fall into this category,and after having tyres fail you have gone for the best,but I think a mid range /priced tyre would have given just as good a service being that they say you will have to throw them away after 6 years:ROFLMAO:(I wonder how many will?)
:thumb:You say de laminated did they sell you remoulds wrongly in the first place? did they give an allowance for all tyres or just the faulty one ?Please take this in a way it is meant and not sounds on reading it back :thumb::ROFLMAO:not attacking in any way just comments :ROFLMAO:
terry

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Got to agree with Terry. You are unlikely to punish your van like the infamous White Van Man will, and if after 6 years service are you likely to bin 5 top price tyres with half the tread left. My van came with Conti's fitted but is unlikely to see them again. I'll be looking for a mid price reliable commercial tyre at a knockdown price.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We fitted Cooper tyres to our Dodge, the tyres that were fitted were not rated high enough (load ) to carry our demountable. There is NO WAY we would haive fitted Cooper if I was not confident in their ability to do the job. I do believe that most LT tyres with the correct load rateing will suit a motorhome.
I believe that Michelin is the best quality you could get, but at a high price!
We have had fantastic service from B.F.G, but it is important to check load rateing.
My "small local friendly" treated me like a complete pr*t, so we had to go out of our town, we bought six Coopers from Sinton tyres MK. the guy I spoke to, treated me as I like to treat my customers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before I ordered them I arranged fitting at a local tyre fitters, (I did offer to buy from them, but they could not come near to the price from Sinton.) The service we got from Sinton, including delivery to our chosen tyre fitter was 100%.:thumb::thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back