Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I know some folks are going to say, "Doh! Stupid question"

But why do folks worry so much about covering up their MH's tyres when the same folks don't worry about covering their car tyres in the same way when the car's not in use. The sun 'can' be quite hot in the UK, or so I've been told :RollEyes:

If the car's not in their garage do they cover the car tyres when they leave to go on holiday in their van's?

Even when the vehicle is moving the sun is still going to be shinning on the tyres and probably any heat dissipated by the air passing over the moving tyre is going to be replaced by the pure effect of friction as it travels over the tarmac.

Yeah, okay, I'm feeling bored, but none the less, 'Why do folks feel the need to cover their tyres when parked in the sun and is it really worth it?'

So, who does and who doesn't and if you do 'why'?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I always cover the van tyres for the simple reason that motorhome tyres rarely wear out but deteriorate first. If you spend long periods of time as I do in the sun then the sun will definitely eat your tyres. Car tyres tend to wear out long before the sun gets chance to eat them.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dave . thats why its a motor home . i think you need a static . ha ha .
travel is the key not race and park for ages . keep them wheels turning . :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
dave . thats why its a motor home . i think you need a static . ha ha .
travel is the key not race and park for ages . keep them wheels turning . :RollEyes:

Now I know your havin a larf. The bus has had 2 oil services in less than 10 months.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Always cover van tyres when abroad but never thought about my cycles. In three years the rubber gaiters on my front suspension completely degraded and one inner tube appeared through the side wall of a tyre. The power of the sun. I cover cycles up now. BUSBY.::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i never cover mine up .apart from covers on spares so they look nice . i find i usually wear a set of tyres out in about 5-6 years and although i winter in the sun .i hardly ever have a problem . think theres more to worry about than sun on tyres .

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I inherited a set of tyre covers with the RV but I've never used them.

I should really with tyres costing over £300 each. :Eeek:

Try getting ones that are NOT gold plated then. £300, I'd want a set for that! and change.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've never covered my tyres. My philosophy is that a motorhome should always be ready to roll in a few minutes. Tyre covers, windbreaks*, awnings (apart from roll out for shade) are definitely out.

*SWMBO says I need no artificial aids to break wind anyway.:roflmto:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Its not the heat of the sun that harms tyres, but the UV rays that cause them to deteriorate, cracking the sidewalls before you have worn the tread away.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Raising this thread from the dead - can anyone reccomend some good tyre covers for UV protection. Recently bought some Kampa ones which are complete rubbish and don't stay on the tyres. The left hand side of the van faces south all the time it's on the drive with no shade whatsoever.

Have searched the Internet and all the good ones seem to be in USA or cost a small fortune.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I know some folks are going to say, "Doh! Stupid question"

But why do folks worry so much about covering up their MH's tyres when the same folks don't worry about covering their car tyres in the same way when the car's not in use. The sun 'can' be quite hot in the UK, or so I've been told :RollEyes:

If the car's not in their garage do they cover the car tyres when they leave to go on holiday in their van's?

Even when the vehicle is moving the sun is still going to be shinning on the tyres and probably any heat dissipated by the air passing over the moving tyre is going to be replaced by the pure effect of friction as it travels over the tarmac.

Yeah, okay, I'm feeling bored, but none the less, 'Why do folks feel the need to cover their tyres when parked in the sun and is it really worth it?'

[HI]So, who does and who doesn't [/HI]and if you do 'why'?

I don't :Doh: but I do "cork" my wipers !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
two pieces of painted plywood would do the same job cheaply and last longer than the all singing all dancing vinyl or fabric ones. just cut to fit wheel arch and paint to protect from weather and improve the appearance

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
two pieces of painted plywood would do the same job cheaply and last longer than the all singing all dancing vinyl or fabric ones. just cut to fit wheel arch and paint to protect from weather and improve the appearance

I was thinking that today. Just a painted board would be best, easy to put in place and less tempting to any one with a mind to pinch. I can see Colin's job list is getting very long for this weekend, what with the fridge fans (all purchased and ready for him) the reversing camera he knows his fitting and now cutting ply to the right shape for the wheels. Poor chap :ROFLMAO:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
32c this afternoon round here!!!!!
Cheers, Dave:drink::drink:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

All i know is that i used to leave my cycles out in the sun in Spain. Within two seasons an innertube came through the sidewall of one tyre and the gaiters on the front suspension disintergrated. Must have been the sun. BUSBY::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
??? I know how to cork a bottle of wine but......wipers?
surprised that nobody has said yet, but

corking wipers is a method of stopping the rubber fusing to the glass or distorting in the heat.... place wine corks between the windscreen and wiper arm to lift the wiper off the glass when parked up in the sun:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
tip.... if going to morocco look for some very cheap chinese made wiper blades in marjane super market . they dont stick to screen and last the longest i have ever known .last time i was there i stocked up with all the sizes my vehicles here take as they were incredibly cheap. i had some a few years before and they were good as well. usually in yellow and green card packs .

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
silver screens

I use the silver screens that fit INSIDE the car window with little rubber suckers They fit on the wheels & are cheap and if they split renew at pennies

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Beware of "corking your wipers" if you forget to remove them they can finish up in the scuttle drain hole, it's just big enough to take a wine cork but cannot get out the other end of the drain hole and so it overflows when the scuttle gets full. :RollEyes:

This happened to me and the mechanics on the next ervice were mystified as to where the corks had come from when they found them :ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Beware of "corking your wipers" if you forget to remove them they can finish up in the scuttle drain hole, it's just big enough to take a[HI][HI] wine cork [/HI][/HI]but cannot get out the other end of the drain hole and so it overflows when the scuttle gets full. :RollEyes:

This happened to me and the mechanics on the next ervice were mystified as to where the corks had come from when they found them :ROFLMAO:

I use 2 Champagne corks as they are somewhat larger !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Well we have had a very productive weekend. The van now has some tyre protection, in the form of some old vinyl flooring cut to size and held in place by some 10ml threaded rod bent to shape to keep it on, all stuff knocking about in the shed.
Unfortunately the wipers have bought it, frazzled by the sun :Sad: not even a year old. Will be making some covers for those too when we get the new ones.

The fridge now has two 80ml computer fans fitted to help it out in hot weather. He has also started fitting two cameras for reversing and seeing to the right at awkward junctions.

Me - I sorted my shoes out! :ROFLMAO:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

we've got a couple of these which we put on the tyres of the side of the motorhome towards the sun when we're parked, also the wheel clamp fits over the top of them too.

http://www.kampa.co.uk/products/camping-motorhome-accessories/towing-site-accessories/wheel-cover-motorhome-size/

wheelcover-sm.jpg

You can pick them up from eBay.

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back