Tyres - Summer/All year/Winter Advice please? (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
My wife and I are new to motorhoming and have a 7.4m A class motorhome. We fit winter tyres on our cars both for general safety and the fact that we drive through Germany to the Alps in the winter where it is a legal requirement.

We need new tyres on the Motorhome, as they are the originals and due to age nead changing. We have discussed with our Tyre supplier who said that on some of his commercial vehicles he keeps winter tyres on all year round as it gives better grip.

HOWEVER having spoke in length to him now that he has had chance to get some prices he thinks that only Michelin and Continental make Camper specific tyres and none are all year round or winter. He states that Yokohama make a strong commercial tyre that is branded 121 as a winter tyre but is not specified for a Camper....

We are confused as understand its a legal requirement to have winter tyres on in Germany, but we are unable to find motorhome specific tyres.... HELP please what do you all do???

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Not a camper tyre but one which continental say can be used all year AND has the 3peak mountain and snowflake. Continental four season 2 tyre. The original conti four season may not have the 3 peak mountain symbol. Available in 225/75/16 in 118 or 121 rating.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wouldn't and don't worry about tyres being motorhome specific, when ours was new they fitted Michelin Agilis 81 and now the new vans out of the factory in Germany get Continental vanco fourseasons 2, thats good enough recommendation for me so that's what we run, they are 121 load rated in the size 225 75 16 and they are legal all year round in Germany.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Basil
Oct 26, 2016
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the replies and for the easy ride for my first post, should I start one about CC sites next?

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi Basil ,yea Martin is right ,and despite what others might say on here there is really no need to worry about winter or all-season Motorhome specific tyres any more there are several manufacturers now who produce an all season tyre or a winter tyre in commercial spec which are perfectly ok for Motorhomes .We have just started selling a tyre called Landsail which produce a very good All-Season tyre which also carries the snowflake symbol so perfectly ok for anywhere in Europe .what you have omitted to say is the size of your tyres,cos when searching for all-season tyres or winter tyres availability can be an issue depending on size.oh and just to correct your tyre supplier ,Pirelli also make a Motorhome specific tyre
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have never used Camper Tyres and standard commercial tyres were fitted when the motorhome left the Hymer factory. I now use Continental Vanco Winter 2 tyres all year round. I checked with Continental that this would be OK before having them fitted. Performance is very good.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I had HanKook tyres fitted recently and find them a much smoother ride than the Continentals that were previously on the van (y) Just my opinion though:)

Rob

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We fitted conti 4 seasons on a van two days ago costumer very happy
Bill

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
One of my tyre holsalers one of the biggest in
The country
Have a guise what Tyers the boss has on his car
And most of his staff use them to
Bill

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Continental Vanco 2 Winter - on my third set. Use them all year round and happy with ride, noise, wear etc. Sometimes can be a bit difficult to get, especially this time of year, but on one occasion I did a search and got two delivered to home address in 3 days from Germany and at a very good price too. Last time KwikFit did the honours.

Upvote 0

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i have run conti vanco winter for nearly 3 years including the 2 Morocco trips ,

They are excellent in snow and mud and wet roads especially wet roundabouts ,
( we hit the snow blizzard in Calais 2 years ago when all the motorways etc were closed .)

I couldn't get any last month so i contacted Oponeo Tyres and eventually bought Kumho Portran winter tyres 225 / 75 / 16 with 210 walls £82 now gone up to £97 , 13 mm of tread same pattern as the contis ,

Upvote 0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I too am interested in tyres with snowflake I can use all year. Vanco winter 2 seemed to do it, but I need 118 load rating so emailed continental as the tyre was advertised as 225/75 r16 116/114 118/116

Heres their reply, they did not recommend all year useage to me.

Thank you for getting in contact and I fully understand your concern.

The ContiVanco Winter 2 225/75 R16 116/114 R (118/116 P) is a specific winter tyre and has therefore only been designed with those parameters. There is no UK legal law stating you cannot use these tyres all year round however, it is not recommended as the warmer temperatures can cause higher wear rates, poor performance, induced wear patterns which can shorten the tyres tread life and cause many other issues. Some people do run them yearly but it would be better to fit an all season tyre or swap between summer and winter tyres to maximise safety and overall performance of your vehicle.

The load and speed ratings of the tyre are there to indicate that this tyre can be used for different applications. The 116/114 R means that in a single fitment (two wheels per axle) it can carry 1250 Kg and if a twin fitment (four or more wheels per axle) can carry 1180 Kg at a maximum speed of R= 106 MPH. In most cases the vehicle will never reach these loads or speeds but it has been set by the vehicle manufacturer and is what they deem as suitable and safe to use. We would never recommend going below these set values.

The 118/116 P denotes the tyre can carry a load of 1320 Kg single fitment and 1250 Kg twinned fitment at a restricted speed of P= 93 MPH. This only applies to vehicles which have this restriction. Therefore, if you require a 118 load rating for a single fitment, this tyre is not suitable for your application. Even if your vehicle cannot reach 93 MPH it must be restricted by law.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Alex Wilson
Producty Support Engineer

Visitors Address:
Continental Tyre Group Ltd

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.