LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Having another thread running about damage to the side wall of a tyre and looking to replace the tyre, rather than the cheaper option of a professional major repair, having too much thinking time on my hands, I have given myself another dilemma.

The damaged tyre is a Continental ContiVanContact 100, which isn't as much money to replace as I initially feared, however I intend on staying out most of the winter, looking for mountain snow in Cumbria, or more likely in Scotland and always planned on fitting Mud & Snows at some point.

Question is, should I switch all four now, or wait ?

If I do it now, I will have available for collection 3 ContiVanContact 100s with only 1907 miles on them and an under slung spare with zero miles (with a free spare with damaged sidewall)

Decisions ?? (n):D

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
A lot of smaller,one man band tyre shops,will "Part exchange/give you a price to swap" your nearly new tyres,for Brand New All season/M+S tyres.
There is a Funster who deals in Tyres,he may be able to give you a few pointers in this direction,he posted in your other post,i will look back through,this may be longer than 5 mins(y).
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
See "Brian and Joes" post in first query.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Having another thread running about damage to the side wall of a tyre and looking to replace the tyre, rather than the cheaper option of a professional major repair, having too much thinking time on my hands, I have given myself another dilemma.

The damaged tyre is a Continental ContiVanContact 100, which isn't as much money to replace as I initially feared, however I intend on staying out most of the winter, looking for mountain snow in Cumbria, or more likely in Scotland and always planned on fitting Mud & Snows at some point.

If I do it now, I will have available for collection 3 ContiVanContact 100s with only 1907 miles on them and an under slung spare with zero miles (with a free spare with damaged sidewall)

I would change now or consider running as they do here in France with a winter set and a summer set of tires. I wouldn't want to be in snowy conditions in a MH with summer type tires on. I'm a fan of fourseason tires but they are on the expensive side. I am currently running on Michelin Agilis camper tires which are rated M&S but they are rubbish in the snow, I don't know how they got rated for M&S.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
By coincidence, it's the Michelin Agilis that I've looked at online, but the X Ice North.

Mind not made up yet, so any feedback welcome.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We've always run 4 season tyres on my car and winter tyres all year on my wife car. Initially on the van we ran winters but I was concerned in some of the high temperatures that we once experienced in South Europe and after checking with the manufacturer it seemed to make sense to switch back to regular tyres. The concern was that the high temperatures would soften the rubber so much that the tyre would not perform correctly. As our van was used 90% of the time from April - October it made sense to switch.

So you can run 4 season tyres as well as pure winters with some limitations. This is good time to decide.

PS: doesn't the X Ice North have studs ?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
X Ice are still available here but unless I lived at <2000m I wouldn't dream of them and even then the vehicle would have to stay up there all winter.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
This is all very confusing as I don't think the performance of M&S tyres is defined anywhere. The Agilis could very well be a summer tyre marked M&S and only have marginally better grip in snow than a summer tyre with no M&S mark.

For snow and Ice look for the 3 peak mountain snowflake mark

D

DL42846

Deleted User
By coincidence, it's the Michelin Agilis that I've looked at online, but the X Ice North.

Mind not made up yet, so any feedback welcome.

I had to replace the Conti Vanco camping tires on my van. I was very impressed with them in normal road conditions or in the rain. I was disappointed that I only got 32000 KLM out of them on the front. I went for the Michelin's as I was going to Cologne last January and in Germany you have to have M&S rated tires in winter conditions. In wintery conditions I think the Michelin's just have the edge but there isn't much in it. If I was going to spend several months in wintery conditions I would look for a more aggressive winter tire as mentioned above, something with a three peak mountain snowflake tire.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I have Michelin's fitted on my van and spent 5 weeks in the snow in Baveria, Germany and now 8wks in Norway and all was fine. The reason being the European's are far better dealing with the conditions than we are, in Garmisch there was 2ft of snow each side of the roads but the roads were perfect even at -15° in Norway 6ft either side and still clear roads, so I can't see the need for 2sets of tyre's

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I run toyo winter tyres all year and have great grip even in hot weather lasted 3 years hardly any wear.

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
That's good info cos I've got to buy new tyres (long story) but the Scandinavian roads have destroyed mine in only 12k miles and I'm not prepared to pay the prices Michelin and conti charge

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Quite a few Motorhomers use the Continental Vanco Contact Winter all year round, I think you will find if you phone Continental they will confirm they are OK for all year round use.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Quite a few Motorhomers use the Continental Vanco Contact Winter all year round, I think you will find if you phone Continental they will confirm they are OK for all year round use.

To within certain limits as Conti advised me. They wouldn't give a max temp guide but advised if being used regularly over 30º then this isn't what they were designed for and tyre performance would be affected. We'd had extended periods with 35-38º and decided we'd switch to summers.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Mine are toyo H09 doesn't affect me but max pressure is 70 psi but run mine at 55 psi a friend of mine has a vw panel van and is a plant fitter, the van is always overloaded he has toyo H08 and says he has never been stuck on a farm or site

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back