Tyres, interesting info (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I am about to purchase a new tyre to fit onto my spare wheel, so wrote to Continental for answers to a couple of questions, see below.

I have a 3.5T motorhome on 215/75/R16 Continental Vanco2 tyres. I am looking to buy another tyre same as above, to use as a spare fitted to a rim and correctly inflated, but could you answer these questions please;
1, the tyres normally are inflated to around 4 Bar, what sort of valve should I ask to be fitted for this sort of pressure ?
2, someone suggested getting the rim powder coated before fitting the tyre, is this a good or bad thing to do as regards leakage etc ?
3, I have been advised that all tyres should be changed around the 5 year old mark, irregardless of wear, due to UV exposure. If my spare tyre was never exposed to sunlight, ie never used, would this advice still apply ?

Answer from Continental;

Good afternoon,

Thank you for getting in contact.

The correct valves will usually be recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Regardless of what pressure you run them at they must meet the requirements for the maximum given load and in most cases camper applications need high pressure type valves. I have attached a image highlighting the valves and the applications they are usually required.

If the tyres rims are not in a good condition, either rust or oxidisation then in some cases this can allow air to escape faster, due to the bead of the tyre not fully sealing on the rim. Powder coating can improve the seal between the tyre and rim but naturally air does escape over time.

There is no legal UK law stating you must remove a tyre due to its age however, we recommend any tyre older than ten years be removed from service not just due to the UV exposure but the natural ageing process which occurs. You may also find that insurance companies and coach builders recommend removal at the 5 year mark due to the application of motorhomes, which often have high uneven loads and are static for prolonged periods. This can exacerbate the ageing process in some cases.

Attachments

• Correct Valves and Pressures (1).pdf
    278 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
More info;

Our MH is on Continental Vanco2 tyres. I have been told by Continental that this tyre is no longer made, so I will have to buy a Continental VancoCamper. Which is fine, but if I have a puncture in France and use the VancoCamper spare to replace it then I am breaking their law. So while carrying the spare in France it's still finger crossing time, for a couple more years at least until the existing Vanco2s get replaces with VancoCampers.

Nothing is simple is it ?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

It's been mentioned on here before that you must have matching tyres on each axle apparently. I'm sure someone got recovered and they wouldn't let them continue until they bought 2 matching tyres as they couldn't source the same make as the existing one and the punctured one was beyond repair..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
More info;

Our MH is on Continental Vanco2 tyres. I have been told by Continental that this tyre is no longer made, so I will have to buy a Continental VancoCamper. Which is fine, but if I have a puncture in France and use the VancoCamper spare to replace it then I am breaking their law. So while carrying the spare in France it's still finger crossing time, for a couple more years at least until the existing Vanco2s get replaces with VancoCampers.

Nothing is simple is it ?
Vanco2 is still on Continentals web site.

https://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/tyres/van/summer-van/vanco2

Martin

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Matching tyres gets more of a problem for me, as my rear tyres were replaced using tyres with a heavier load tolerance. I have slung the sticky stuff as I carry a front spare.
Surely if I have a rear puncture and I drive slowly as with the old emergency tyres, using the same size/make front spare, to the nearest tyre depot, I should be not only be safe but legal in an emergency, or would hell fall around my ears?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Tyres should normally be the same type and make on each axle, which is only common sense, but I have never been able to find official legislation that says it is illegal not to have them exactly the same in France. The French CT requires that you have all 5 ( or 7 with a tag axle) tyres of the same make (unless the spare is a space saver) or tyres on the same axle must match, or the tyres on the same axle don’t need to match, or both tyres on each axle must be replaced if a new one is required, or whatever the person talking to you thinks at the time.
I have not read anything definitive that states foreign registered cars need to comply with French tyre regulations.
Except where snow is concerned.
But, of course, I am keen to see official documentation that will confirm or deny this.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's been mentioned on here before that you must have matching tyres on each axle apparently. I'm sure someone got recovered and they wouldn't let them continue until they bought 2 matching tyres as they couldn't source the same make as the existing one and the punctured one was beyond repair..
I'm sure, but unverified, that will only apply to a French nationals vehicle and is their law, but not a visiting holiday makers.
If you tow a trailer and need recovery would they refuse to tow the trailer because the fog light is on the wrong side or in the case of a single fog light on your van will police stop and prosecute for the same 'offense'.
I doubt it as they must realise the UK has different rules and laws.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Really don't understand the 'concern' about MH tyres............same base commercial vehicles drive harder, longer on 'non-special' tyres, probably every tyre different and different brands/ages

Always bought 'budget' tyres.............no problems

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Really don't understand the 'concern' about MH tyres............same base commercial vehicles drive harder, longer on 'non-special' tyres, probably every tyre different and different brands/ages

Always bought 'budget' tyres.............no problems
But commercial vehicles are usually driven every day and some for quite a distance whereas a MH will stand still for a lot longer and are often at full load constantly so the weight on the tyres can be more 'severe' as well as concentrated in one place due to them not moving, this is why some MH tyres have stronger side walls to compensate for this 'standing still'.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back