Tyres cracking, whats your view on these (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I am dying to know what Conti Tech/Warranty department are going to say for tyres dated 2017 on a MH, being looked after as best they can be? Fingers crossed they will replace all 4 FOC, but then again, I have always been a dreamer, or so the OH always reminds me.
Sad situation to be in for the OP, good job he noticed, especially as it sailed through an MOT with no advisories.
Strange also that what is a great tyre experience for one of us, is a disaster for another, it must come down to the vans suspension/weight and use at the end of the day, hard to get right for most in these times.
best of luck.
LES
How old are the tyres, they are date marked with a code. If they are 5 years of more change them. Virtually every tyre fitter will tell you this.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
How old are the tyres, they are date marked with a code. If they are 5 years of more change them. Virtually every tyre fitter will tell you this.
If you read the opening post with pictures showing faults to the tyres, it states that he changed all 4 tyres in 2017, so that's 4 years ago, but he doesn't state the date of manufacture on each of the tyres, something many people wouldn't consider checking when changing say a car tyre, as they are changed more frequently due to higher annual mileages in most cases.
I also dont think many MH owners would change their van tyres at 5 years with relatively low mileage on them, especially if they were ok with even tread wear, and showing no sign of cracks to sidewalls or tread pattern, some on here go for 9 years plus, and say they were perfectly OK, but changed due to age etc.
We still have to hear what Conti Tyres say to the OP though, as I have never had tyres that crack like that after 4 years, even 5 on any vehicle we have owned.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have posted earlier in this thread the basis of the reply from Conti tyres who have been proffesional throughout.
They commented that the tyres showed age cracks even though they were just over 3 years and a few thousand miles.

They agreed to a value that I could offset against new tyres. Which was fair, equitable and paid very effectively without fuss or drama.
If only all companies responded to customers in this manner. Praise for conti in the way they handled my complaint.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Thanks for this thats really useful, I’ll check my tyres tomorrow, the van is a 2016 plate with only 17000 on the clock, but probably original van tyres ( pvc conversion) , if I have to change them I’ll take your advice
Changed from Agilis on our van which were not only cracking but one had also started to bulge, to Nexen Roadian CT8 commercials... higher ply and load rating than the agilis...but half the price.... so far really impressed with them after a recent drive to the Algarve and back..... if you want another option to consider

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My so called quality Michelin tyres all cracked round the sidewalls after 4 years. Fitted Hankook and are very happy with them after 9000 miles. The ride is better and noise level much lower.i
As technology moves on quality is disappearing from almost every product.

Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 68
The cracks on the outer grooves might suggest that the tyres have been running under inflated, is the wear equal across the tyre?

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The cracks on the outer grooves might suggest that the tyres have been running under inflated, is the wear equal across the tyre?
Not run under inflated.
And
That was not even suggested by conti when they reviewed them.

Take a close look at the photos and you will clearly see they were worn very evenly.
I even cover them when needed to reduce UV damage.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Cracking of the sidewalls is a MOT fail
But like rust on brake pipes there is a description of whats acceptable
Personally I would be looking them to change them before any long drives
Cracking on side walls is def not a MOT failure
I had this issue a few years back, the garage in question never even pointed the cracks out to me.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just back from the tyre fitters after having a complete set fitted to the wife's car - it's just a runabout so have only gone for medium quality - the old tyre walls were cracked and starting to show splits. Fitter reckoned they'd been on the car since new (17 years!)

Just a quick word of caution when ordering on-line - I got a good deal with Black Circles so ordered and had them fitted by a local tyre shop. Problem when they found the wrong size tyres had been delivered - I'd used the vehicle finder on the website and didn't think to check; they'd sent tyres for alloy wheels! The garage were very good and sorted it out for me at net no extra cost. Just need to get a refund on the original order now.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I had similar issue on a car a couple of years ago - 4 year old tyres, both fronts with fine cracking. I sent some photos to Pirelli, they arranged to view the tyres and replaced both fronts without question.

I get the impression tyre brands are pretty good on helping in these - all very civilised.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have recommended and used Continental CP tyres for a good while. Until two years ago when cracking in the. SIPS caused concern after 18months exchange of views with Continental and to give them great credit refunded the purchase cost.
Since a chance conversation with a friend who worked for another major brand and was in quality testing gave me a heads up. Buy Hankook the best competition we have tested by far. They do not do CP tyres I said, reply is not printable!
I fitted initially two Hankook on the front of my A class, lower noise but sceptical, two years later around 12000. Miles still as new. Then fitted two to the rear with tyre monitor units to check temps at 65psi instead of the 80psi previously used.
No abnormal results lower noise and this is subjective better handling, which did surprise a little.
We each have to make our own best judgement, mine is Hankook hands down

Jun 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
3yrs
Not totally related to this thread but may be of interest>
Bought a 2014 HOBBY tri axle form a reputable local dealer with a full MOT etc 12 months ago. The Michelin Agilius tyres looked OK (plenty of tread) and no obvious age related degradation to the rubber. Only a few hundred miles last year (usual reason) but decided to have my local fitter (known him for years) give the tyres a once over.
Firstly the date codes were ALL on the inside wall, so not easily visible, but to our astonishment the date codes when accessed were Feb 2011!!!
This made the tyres 10yrs old!!!!
I can understand tyres being possible a year older than the vehicle (slow stock changes etc) but 3yrs older than the base vehicle??

Anyone else had a similar experience??

Tyres have now been replaced with Conti's with a much quieter ride and no 'banging' when hitting cats eyes !

Apr 8, 2016
Poulton le Fylde
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Not on the motorhome, but the car. The year after Brenda had her first stroke, her car was parked up. I went to move it and noticed a flat. Tried pumping the tyre up but the rubber valve stem was split. So put the spare on and took the car to my local tyre place I always used. He took the spare out the back and called me through after a couple of minutes. 3 year old tyres with 8mm plus of tread had split between the treads. Checked the others on the car and all 4 were lethal.

As for motorhome tyres, if you pump them up to 80psi as the converters suggest, they are like a bomb waiting to go off
Burst pressure is over 200psi. A long way off burst pressure. Under inflation is the biggest cause of tyre failure and serious wet and tear

Sep 9, 2016
Nr Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 89
Exp
Since 2012
i am quite meticulous about the care of my tyres. I use covers when they are in direct sunlight, I regularly check pressures and change them on their age as well is wear and tear.
Today i decided to change the front disc pads that i have been threatening for several months now, and all that went to plan. However, i had a bit of a shock when i saw the condition of the first tyre I had removed. So as you would expect i then checked all 4 tyres ( the spare was new 12 months ago and in a cover so is pristine. )

all the tyres were changed in June 2017 at 5 1/2 years old as i wanted to ure on the side of caution regarding their age., out of interest at that time the fronts were at 3.5mm and the rears on 7mm.

The following photos are of 2 of the tyres, which are the worse cracking the other 2 have some similar cracking but nothing like as bad. These have 7mm of tread and have done 13.5k miles in the 31/2 years they been on the van.

2 questions for any tyre buffs amongst us !!

1. Does anyone have the email address of Conti tyres customer or technical services?

2. whats your view on these tyres? are they a blowout waiting to happen? or am i being paranoid and they are fine?
I am particularly concerned with t14
Defiantly replace them as you are in danger of what's known in the tyre trade as 'Tread Separation' this means that the tread will simply separate from the carcase when warm and at speed. Which could cause you to loose control.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Burst pressure is over 200psi. A long way off burst pressure. Under inflation is the biggest cause of tyre failure and serious wet and tear
sudden catastrophic depressuring of a big tyre will certainly wake you up. Debris on the roadway on the motorway network is a constant risk. So is not fitting high pressure valve stems

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Defiantly replace them as you are in danger of what's known in the tyre trade as 'Tread Separation' this means that the tread will simply separate from the carcase when warm and at speed. Which could cause you to loose control.
Thanks for the advice but,
You
May not have read all the information and outcomes I have posted above.

they have been changed and I was given great service by conti tyres.

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Cracking in the middle of the tyre is a sign of over inflation of the tyres, the middle of the tyre when stood for a period makes the centre of the tyre bulge and causes more stress in the middle and as a result splits the compound, to avoid this reduce the tyre pressure when stood so the surface of the tyre is even, this will take some time to get right but will pay dividends in the long run.

If you can imagine when a force is applied to the tyre at the bottom the top of the tyre will increase in pressure pushing the weakest part of the tyre the top middle to expand more as it it the weakest part of the tyre ( bit of science ) and over time it will affect the whole of the tyre, bit like a balloon push it on the floor the top expands ( Try it ), hope this helps. best bet when in storage for an extended period of time get the tyres off the ground or at least reduce the pressure at the bottom of the tyre ( axle stands ).
This happens more on hard compound tyres than soft.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back