Tyres: Are Michelin really worth an extra £500? (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
my van is in the MOT today and I’m collecting tomorrow

all 6 tyres (twin axle) are perished and 1 is a failure. The others are 'advisory'

i don’t mind replacing them all, but 6 * Michelin tyres are £500 more than 6 * Falcon 'standard' tyres

is it really worth it? The fact they perished before wearing out is a message

or are Michelin tyres better for some other reason?

I’m very much tempted to go for the cheaper tyres but interested to hear any thoughts, thanks

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
on the way home i couldnt really tell the difference between old and new tyres to be honest...what i do know is that my annual mileage was about the same number as the total cost! I could start a new thread here..."do you bother with a full service every year?"
Only have a service every 2 years (schedule is 2 years or 28k). Usually done 17 to 18k due this April but only done about 10k since last service so will only have a light service, probably get the brake fluid changed as didn't get it done last time.

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I find the Toyo Observe Van give a very good ride, if I had got rid of the Michelins and fitted them before the air suspension I would have saved over 7 grand. Probably wouldn't have bothered with the air.

Had a quick look at these earlier, not sure if I’m looking at the exact tyre, assume running a winter tyre all year won’t be an issue and any comment on the E rating for economy?

Mine are 215/70/15 any chance of a link to the exact tyre/spec please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Had a quick look at these earlier, not sure if I’m looking at the exact tyre, assume running a winter tyre all year won’t be an issue and any comment on the E rating for economy?

Mine are 215/70/15 any chance of a link to the exact tyre/spec please?

Not bothered about the economy rating compared to the cost of a Motorhome ¼mpg is not going to worry me, a lot of winter tyres have worse ratings.

Reactions: M-J
Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough

Not bothered about the economy rating compared to the cost of a Motorhome ¼mpg is not going to worry me, a lot of winter tyres have worse ratings.

Thank you, just checked my current Michelin summer tyre and it’s also an E.

Ok you think to run the toyos at lower pressures, probably 60 front 65 rear?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thank you, just checked my current Michelin summer tyre and it’s also an E.

Ok you think to run the toyos at lower pressures, probably 60 front 65 rear?
They seem fine at lower pressures, your tyre size indicates you have lower axle loading than me.
My rear running weight is around 2200-2300kg and the front 1930kg

Reactions: M-J
Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
They seem fine at lower pressures, your tyre size indicates you have lower axle loading than me.
My rear running weight is around 2200-2300kg and the front 1930kg

Thanks, going to order a full set with my local tyre place in a couple of weeks ready for when we are allowed out again.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hankook Vantra LT RA18 for us. We've had a set on the van for 10 years and are replacing them next month with the same Hankooks, not because they are worn out but as they are 10 years old. Excellent tyres.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1994
Have owned our Rapido since 2002. 64000 miles done and had two and a half sets of Michelin Agilis so far.
Have always understood that camping tyres have a bit of a safety margin. So stuck with Michelin. Have driven in all conditions from Southern Spain to the North Cape without any problem except of course soft wet grass.

Upvote 0

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
So, just to confirm, are people out there running Michelin Agilis CP tyres at lower pressures than the 80psi that Michelin insist on ?
I run at 80psi in the rear and 70psi in the front. Rear axle is plated at 2250kgs and the van runs at 3850Kgs. MoHo is on its second set Michelin Agilis CP tyres and I have never had any issues with grip/noise or ride.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
No different to quality commercial van tyres, which are often factory fitted to MHs at the build stage.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Yes, as I stated earlier in the post. If you want a safety margin, buy 10 ply instead of 8. Buy all-season or better still winters if you don’t want to get stuck on wet grass !.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I need some new boots as it was an advisory on the MOT while in lockdown, at the moment i'm running Continental Vanco Campers 225/75 R16 this is on a Fiat maxi chassis. I have had a look today and it looks like they are steel valves and speaking to Blackcircles they don't fit steel valves and I would have to source my own. The question is are all steel valves the same? And anyone know the best place to get them as I don't want to trust me luck on e-bay.
There was a thread sometime ago and I think GEO recommended some where but I cant find the thread.

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I need some new boots as it was an advisory on the MOT while in lockdown, at the moment i'm running Continental Vanco Campers 225/75 R16 this is on a Fiat maxi chassis. I have had a look today and it looks like they are steel valves and speaking to Blackcircles they don't fit steel valves and I would have to source my own. The question is are all steel valves the same? And anyone know the best place to get them as I don't want to trust me luck on e-bay.
There was a thread sometime ago and I think GEO recommended some where but I cant find the thread.

Don’t change the valves or ask at your local tyre fitter. Most will match a price if you have found a good deal online.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just have new inserts in your metal valves

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back