Free Member
Jun 2, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
Hi Ladies and Gents,
I have a couple of tyres that are badly cracked, whilst looking for prices i came acroos the term load rating, does anyone know what that should be for a Hobby700/750? I would ask what make/ model you prefer, but that is a can of worms for another time.
Secondly, do you always change in pairs, say LH3 and RH3 or staggered/as required or in no particular order?
And finally, do you bother with yearly habitation checks on an older(18yr) van?
I know all the problems and dont need somebody else reminding me ;-)
Cheers in advance

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would probably say 111/113 you could go higher to 116 I think your gross weight is 4.5 tons is that correct

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
tyre.JPG

Pete

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
There will be a plate on the van from fiat, another from alko, and lastly from hobby.
The plate will have axle weights, max weight and train weight.
The newest plate is the important one, in your case hobby.
Look at the axle loadings, you need a tyre with a load rating equal to the highest axle rating.
Note axle load needs to be divided by 2 to get tyre load rating.

I have assumed its a fiat with an alko chassis.....

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There will be a plate on the van from fiat, another from alko, and lastly from hobby.
The plate will have axle weights, max weight and train weight.
The newest plate is the important one, in your case hobby.
Look at the axle loadings, you need a tyre with a load rating equal to the highest axle rating.
Note axle load needs to be divided by 2 to get tyre load rating.

I have assumed its a fiat with an alko chassis.....
Would be a tag axel

OP
OP
J

jeffcav

Free Member
Jun 2, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
So from this guide if i get 111 rated tyres, that is 2180kg/axle, with three axles is 6540kg. well over what i need as its 6.4tons, and my max weight is 4.5tons, unless i am missing something.
thanks everyone.

Check individual axle loads, as some axles may take much less than others. As you typically want to swap wheels around, use the axle with the highest load to determine the tyres. The axle loads should add up to more than the MAM. Otherwise, it would be very inflexible. It is the highest max axle load that determines the tyre load required. You can't take the total MAM and divide by the number of tyres. Also, if you have DRW rather than tag axle, the tyres are downrated. This is what it meant when you see a tyre have two load ratings. The highest is for a 2 wheel axle and the lower for a 4 wheel DRW axle.

OP
OP
J

jeffcav

Free Member
Jun 2, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
Check individual axle loads, as some axles may take much less than others. As you typically want to swap wheels around, use the axle with the highest load to determine the tyres. The axle loads should add up to more than the MAM. Otherwise, it would be very inflexible. It is the highest max axle load that determines the tyre load required. You can't take the total MAM and divide by the number of tyres. Also, if you have DRW rather than tag axle, the tyres are downrated. This is what it meant when you see a tyre have two load ratings. The highest is for a 2 wheel axle and the lower for a 4 wheel DRW axle.
I found my axle max loads -
AXLE 0NE 1850KG
AXLE TWO 1500KG
AXLE THREE 1500KG
so i am good to go on all of these tyres, and you were correct on the front axle requiring a different rating. cheers

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I found my axle max loads -
AXLE 0NE 1850KG
AXLE TWO 1500KG
AXLE THREE 1500KG
so i am good to go on all of these tyres, and you were correct on the front axle requiring a different rating. cheers

Technically, anything 105 or over is fine (although a manufacturer's recommendation for a higher load rating must be followed). Typically, two load ratings are available for any particular tyre size. I don't know what tyre size you have.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
From a load capacity perspective we are over spec‘d then, 3.5T van which came with the optional 16 inch alloys and 116 load rated Michelin Agilis Camper tyres on both axles. Guess it could have been dictated by the available tyre options for wheel size (not had cause to verify as yet)?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
From a load capacity perspective we are over spec‘d then, 3.5T van which came with the optional 16 inch alloys and 116 load rated Michelin Agilis Camper tyres on both axles. Guess it could have been dictated by the available tyre options for wheel size (not had cause to verify as yet)?

Many 3.5t vans are actually 4.0-4.5t vans that have been downplated. However, their wheels and tyres would have been specced for the higher MAM.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back