Tyres again (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
HI All
Had a read through some tyre posts and just as confused as I was at the start. Some folk don't seem to like the Michelin Agilis Camping which is what's on my van now.
The van is a Hymer tramp 15 plate and I just found out the tyres are dated 2013 so were two yrs old when the van was registered and sold new it looks like. The tyres are showing signs of slight cracking on the sidewalls now but I would be replacing them at that age anyhow.

What to go for though?
I initially thought, fit the same but not so sure. The previous owner was happy with them despite them being a summer tyre as I've also just found out. I thought it would make more sense to fit all season?
Any recommendations

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not a bad shout
The first two (in stock) have manufacturer part numbers begining "2020", whilst the more expensive out of stock ones start "2001". I wonder if these were the design dates for the tyres.

However, finding a difference between part number 2020307 and 2020305 is more difficult. They appear to have identical specifications. I wonder if some have different sidewall markings for different markets, and they happen to stock both or something like that.

I would just buy the cheapest, ensuring the part number is a 202030x type, not a 200119xx type.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I'll pay attention to how it looks coming out of the bag. It does look a tight fit. I got the full size Galli 2 RSV tall rather then the compact. It came with the sky liner thing, a carpet and a roll of LED lights. He also gave me a set of corkscrew pegs you use a drill with if needed.
Our trip is two weeks at the end of june and broken down by nights 2,3,5,1 and the last stop is 3 I think so should be able to make good use of it
You’ll be an expert by the end of that, ours is a tall as well. Tbh we only use the big awning for a week or more, love it as a second home! Short trips we just use a smaller driveaway.
we roll the air out of the beams when taking it down, fold it a couple of times, then leave it for a cuppa, once its rolled, just sit on it drinking tea, it eventually goes down enough to fool you into thinking it will just slip in bag,,,, :unsure:
We have a great work around for the awning connection, we have all the awning strips etc but dont use them , we have threaded thick black elastic through the strip and just kind of loop it over the fixed rollout awning cover on the van, literally takes seconds and holds well, sounds like youve got a good bundle there.
With the guy ropes its wider than you think, so we position the van accordingly, sometimes violating the ‘little white post’ .......living life on the edge. Don’t feel the need for all the tent pegs in, ours has remained solid throughout storms.
If u get a good position its worth measuring the distance from the front wheel or door to the front right corner peg, just for ease next time.
have fun, let us know how you get on...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I've been on black circles and asda websites and nowhere do I see an option for metal clamp type valves. On The Asda website it states rubber valves included in price. In my Hymer info it says above 4.75 a metal valve should be used.
The Hymer book also says the front should be 4.5 and rear 5.5 bar.
You’ll be an expert by the end of that, ours is a tall as well. Tbh we only use the big awning for a week or more, love it as a second home! Short trips we just use a smaller driveaway.
we roll the air out of the beams when taking it down, fold it a couple of times, then leave it for a cuppa, once its rolled, just sit on it drinking tea, it eventually goes down enough to fool you into thinking it will just slip in bag,,,, :unsure:
We have a great work around for the awning connection, we have all the awning strips etc but dont use them , we have threaded thick black elastic through the strip and just kind of loop it over the fixed rollout awning cover on the van, literally takes seconds and holds well, sounds like youve got a good bundle there.
With the guy ropes its wider than you think, so we position the van accordingly, sometimes violating the ‘little white post’ .......living life on the edge. Don’t feel the need for all the tent pegs in, ours has remained solid throughout storms.
If u get a good position its worth measuring the distance from the front wheel or door to the front right corner peg, just for ease next time.
have fun, let us know how you get on...
Thanks for your reply and the tips. On the subject of connecting the awning I'm going to take the previous owners advice and not bother unless the weather is bad. He said that he didn't bother with it and the van doesn't have an awning rail or C rail.
I had looked into getting a C rail but after talking to him I'm not going to bother now. I can always use the throw over straps if need be.....If it's wet and or raining. Not much chance of that in our lovely Uk summer weather:giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been on black circles and asda websites and nowhere do I see an option for metal clamp type valves. On The Asda website it states rubber valves included in price. In my Hymer info it says above 4.75 a metal valve should be used.
With metal valves you just need to replace the valve core, you don't need complete new valves.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You will need to buy your own metal valves.
There are a couple of types available on tinternet, make sure you check the length that you need
Or as Lenny says if they are in good order change the cores.
1 of mine at 9 1/2 years was weeping at the rim so I changed them all.
Up until that point I only ever changed cores

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
The Hymer book also says the front should be 4.5 and rear 5.5 bar.

Thanks for your reply and the tips. On the subject of connecting the awning I'm going to take the previous owners advice and not bother unless the weather is bad. He said that he didn't bother with it and the van doesn't have an awning rail or C rail.
I had looked into getting a C rail but after talking to him I'm not going to bother now. I can always use the throw over straps if need be.....If it's wet and or raining. Not much chance of that in our lovely Uk summer weather:giggler:
Thats great it means you can get it nearer the van, the middle bit can get a bit flappy noise in wind, we tend to use it as a welly store, the awning itself makes a classy tent , I’d recommend it to campers! Never used throw over straps but the wisdom on here seems to say use tennis balls on the end of the straps ( for throw) and beware the straps can rub in the wind potentially leaving marks. Tbh the awnings so solid you dont really need the connector bit anyway, so enjoy, good purchase! We tend not to cook in the van, and use the front porch of the awning .
top tip, dont try and roll the awning up while you have left a broom inside it, its really difficult!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
You will need to buy your own metal valves.
There are a couple of types available on tinternet, make sure you check the length that you need
Or as Lenny says if they are in good order change the cores.
1 of mine at 9 1/2 years was weeping at the rim so I changed them all.
Up until that point I only ever changed cores
Going to a fitter I know so will call him and I'll have a look when I go over to the van tomorrow. cheers (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thats great it means you can get it nearer the van, the middle bit can get a bit flappy noise in wind, we tend to use it as a welly store, the awning itself makes a classy tent , I’d recommend it to campers! Never used throw over straps but the wisdom on here seems to say use tennis balls on the end of the straps ( for throw) and beware the straps can rub in the wind potentially leaving marks. Tbh the awnings so solid you dont really need the connector bit anyway, so enjoy, good purchase! We tend not to cook in the van, and use the front porch of the awning .
top tip, dont try and roll the awning up while you have left a broom inside it, its really difficult!!
Good tips cheers, especially the broom. I've seen the tennis balls used for throw over straps but will avoid (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
The broom ::bigsmile: lol

Upvote 0
May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Fitted two Continental Van Contact Camper tyres on Thursday, M&S and snowflake symbol. Early days but what a difference in ride characteristics over the Michelins! 225/75 R16CP 118R. Recommend.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Interested in the Toyo Observe Van tyres, any chance of further observations of how the preform for you? Can I ask what pressure you run them at and how you find the road noise? I will need 225/75 R16 tyres and so far only found them at around £142 each - anyone found them at a better price?

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Interested in the Toyo Observe Van tyres, any chance of further observations of how the preform for you? Can I ask what pressure you run them at and how you find the road noise? I will need 225/75 R16 tyres and so far only found them at around £142 each - anyone found them at a better price?

I’m running 60 front 65 rear.

Have you tried a local tyre fitter?

Hard to comment on road noise as I’ve only done 2 miles, not sure how noisy my Michelins were previously as I couldn’t hear anything over the banging and crashing they caused.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

try these guy's they dont adverise Toyo on the web pages but they supply them i just bought 5.

Richard Smith, Stock Manager, Tyres Direct UK

T: 01582 585845

E: richard@tyresdirectuk.co.uk

W: www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
For Toyo running pressures , email this guy with your axle weights and tyre size and you will get pressures by return..

Alan Meaker
UK Technical Director & European Motorsport Manager
Toyo Tyre UK
T +44 (0)1933 414537
F +44 (0)1933 410945
M +44 (0)7879 813915

alan@toyotyre.co.uk

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
225/75/16 ar £115.30 here but based on what I paid I would think a local place would be £120 each fitted.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Duccato Sundanc
Exp
Aug 2017
I’ve bitten the expensive bullet after noticing some wall cracking and thought better safe than sorry., and not as expensive as a blowout could be! After reading lots of tyre threads in here and talking to my local tyre fitters (Bathwick Tyres Newbury) who do lots of vans I have had 4 x Falken Van 01 215/70 R15C (wet rated A and fuel economy rated C, 72dB) fitted and tracking done £399. Have obviously only driven back so can’t comment yet but I have Falken fitted on my car and have been happy. Watch this space..... can’t wait for 12 April she is ready to go!

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Reading
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I’m running 60 front 65 rear.

Have you tried a local tyre fitter?

Hard to comment on road noise as I’ve only done 2 miles, not sure how noisy my Michelins were previously as I couldn’t hear anything over the banging and crashing they caused.
I also have the Toyo Observe tyres and noticed that the stated max pressure on mine is 65 psi which seems a little low compared to my previous Pirelli's. I am running the rear at 62 and front at 58 and will see how they fair.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I also have the Toyo Observe tyres and noticed that the stated max pressure on mine is 65 psi which seems a little low compared to my previous Pirelli's. I am running the rear at 62 and front at 58 and will see how they fair.

the tyre wall psi is a USA stated measure not europe, however

i had this from Toyo for my 225/70 15 Observe tyre pressures

this is based on a Front axle loading of 1650kgs
and rear axle loading of 2000kgs

Front: 45psi

Rear: 57psi

Best regards
Alan Meaker
UK Technical Director & European Motorsport Manager

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have the same size I paid £106 from Tyre Leader and had a local mobile fitter at £15 each. Price appears to go up and down a bit, not much stock at the moment as it's the wrong time of year for buying winter tyres.

The noise level is fine and ride comfort is superb. I started off running them at 72 rear, 65 front but dropped them to 68 & 62. Having seen Phils link I'll email Toyo.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Bit confused but why fit a winter tyre when using all year?
Why fit a summer tyre you are using all year ?.

The vast majority of car/van/motorhome drivers in the UK, only ever use their vehicles in, the UK . Look at our summers ?. Very short !. Hardly melting the tarmac for more than a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
My new tyres arrived today.
89BA1C8E-F83F-4FD0-ADBD-170DD68C8E33.jpeg

Upvote 0