TyrePal (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Just had delivery of Tyrepal Solar 4 for the MH. Looks good but surprised at the size of the monitor display! Might need the bi-focals lol. Does anybody have any advice on whether or not to use silicone grease (or similar) on steel valve stem bearing in mind TP is brass thread? Thanks, Chris.
Edit. This is the set with lock-nuts for the sensors, not the grub screws.

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We have Tyrepal Solar's fitted to our camper plus the wife's and my daily cars, all sensors are fitted nothing added to the valve threads.
One of the alloy's on the wife's car is slightly porous so needs pumping up every few weeks and the sensor unscrews no problem although I see no real problem in you using silicone grease (or similar). The rubber sealing boot looks to keep the wet out ok .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Never had a problem with mine but have heard of some people overtightening them and struggling to get them off. There is always one lol.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looks good but surprised at the size of the monitor display! Might need the bi-focals lol.

When there are two of us in the cab the non-driver checks the tyre pressures when (s)he remembers but the audible warning is sufficient to show a problem tbh.

We have the older type of system with the grub screws but when we fitted this time didn't bother with the grub screws. They don't appear to have moved at all.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think it's pretty much the same size as the non solar one. I never have any trouble seeing mine and there's also the audible alarm if anything goes wrong.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I didn't bother with any lubricant due to the tight fit of the rubber cover, thought it should keep out the moisture, after a year or so they appear ok. Mine has the nuts and are very secure when done up.
The monitor is difficult to see, I had it on the dash to the right of the binical but moved it to the steering wheel boss to see it better. It's curved there but it stays in place with the sticky pad, though I am now looking to make a flat surface for it just to the right of the steering wheel boss so I can still see the speedo, fuel/temp/warning lights.
I would not be without Tyrepal now.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Just tighten mine with the cranked spanner provided, never had a problem. One of my rubber sleeves went AWOL but some insulating tape seems to work just as well. Couldn't live without the security of a Tyrepal.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Those sticky pads they come with are amazing aren't they!

I've not greased mine, again just due to the rubber seals doing their job (y)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I haven't bought the system yet but was planning on sticking the display unit in the middle onto the 'clip board'. Is that going to be too far away to see easily?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I haven't bought the system yet but was planning on sticking the display unit in the middle onto the 'clip board'. Is that going to be too far away to see easily?

That's where ours was on the last van. Not easy to see from the driver's seat.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The only place I can see it easily is just behind the steering wheel on the boss. I tried it on the clip board and just to the right of the binical but you need the light to be just right to be able to just see it in those positions. "Keep your eyes on the road" was often said as I leaned forward and peered at it.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You don't need to keep an eye on the monitor all the time like you do with the likes of your spedo.
As once you have the alarms set up correctly , you just need to check it before you start your journey.
OFC thats just my opinion , i'm sure other peps have different ideas's :)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Basically yes
BUT

The alarm will frighten the socks off you and drive you nuts until you can stop and check it
obviously being solar powered doesn't need to be plugged in

sid1234

Free Member
Jun 3, 2014
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie

Attachments

• $_12.jpg
    $_12.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 22

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have older Tyrepals on both cars and the Solar on our Hymer. Wouldn't be without them. I grease all sensors and avoid using the grub screws as I've had many seize in the past. The Solar monitor is tiny, I have mine right in front of me on the binnacle, but it's dangerously small to read when on the move. The sensors are very fiddly, especially when greased. All in all, still invaluable.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I bought this tyre pressure monitor of e.bay , its early days to say its great as we have not been away yet , but driving around locally its working fine , and i have no problem reading the pressures on the display :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I bought this tyre pressure monitor of e.bay , its early days to say its great as we have not been away yet , but driving around locally its working fine , and i have no problem reading the pressures on the display :)

Also avialable on Amazon Prime for £69.99 - thats £30 cheaper than Tyre Pal..
Unless anyone can find a lower price

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Although there are some differences, this looks suspiciously like the TyrePal. Perhaps it's the same original manufacturer? The display does look better, but if it's as small as the TyrePal, it's probably only marginally more readable. Having said that, the price makes it the winner (y)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Just ordered the ones from Amazon - looks like they do the same job as the Tyrepal ones. Time will tell ;-)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've got a couple of questions regarding the Tyrepal, if anyone can help.

There is a Solar 4+ which has increased sensor range for vehicles larger than cars. Have any of you found that the standard Solar 4 loses the rear sensor signals, due to length of our vans ?

I know it's lazy of me, but there is an option to buy an extra sensor to monitor the spare wheel. How does the fifth wheel data configure in the Solar 4 display, or would it be better to go for the Solar 6 display ?

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I thought that I'd posted an update on the Pace tpms that I bought a few months ago - but apparently not!
I really liked the Pace system - easy to install and the display was easy to read. However the rear sensors would occasionally get 'lost' and the alarm on the display unit would sound. I determined that this was a 'range' issue and sent the set back. That was the only problem and I would be more than happy to have this system in a car (but I don't need one as on my car the function is built in).

I have now bought the Tyrepal Solar 4+ system and just installed it. Everything went very smoothly but boy is the LCD difficult to read! I had been warned by others to expect this but it was still a shock. Looks like I will be leaving it to the co-pilot to read any warnings that the system generates while we're travelling! I have written to Tyrepal to complain about the poor display.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i took delivery of my new Tyrepal Solar Colour yesterday... https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/solar-colour/ the MHFun discount code didn't work on the Tyrepal site and the system was going to be £110, plus £5 for postage - but thanks to a pointer by @Wildbill in another thread, their eBay store sells them for £100 inc free postage.
I too was surprised at how small the display is - but as long as it is good enough for occasional checks, then that should be fine I guess. I'll spend some time fitting / setting it up once it stops raining....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The TC215 is easy to read but at close to £300 for the 6 wheel system it's a lot of cash.

Martin

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Something to be aware of when removing the sensors. There's a small O-ring seal deep in the sensor but this sometimes sticks to the tyre valve stem when the sensor is removed.

It's too easy then to dislodge and lose the O-ring without even realizing it's gone from its proper place. You might feel a difference when refitting the sensor but by then it might be too late to find the O-ring. My TyrePal system came with a couple of spare O-rings in the box.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
good ides is to go to a motor factor and buy a few spare O-rings and always keep one to the side for refrance
bill

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got the pre-solar version of Tyrepal tpms - had it five years and works a treat, but agree the screen is a tad small.

For anybody seeking a less expensive system, where the monitor sits plugged into the cigarette lighter, came across this one on Amazon £47.99:

Amazon product ASIN B0747LNDK6

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Great system, but yes display is a nightmare to keep an eye on...which is why I mount it near 'the boss' who will keep an eye on it and respond to any alarm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back