Tyrepal solar instalation help (1 Viewer)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just got round to having a look at fitting Tyrepal solar and the instructions mention putting on a dustcover first, the thing is there doesn't appear to be any dust covers or space for them in the packaging. So is it OK to fit without said covers?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
All we know is that the sensors are the same as on the TB99 that we have except that the locking grub screw has been replaced by a locknut so perhaps it's just bad instructions? Instructions for TB99 say "Remove the tyre valve dust cap and screw on the appropriate sensor in its place, but do not over-tighten. The monitor displays the pressure of the tyre as each sensor is installed." We called their technical guy when we were trying to work out what the difference was between the old & new models (other than being solar!) to see if any other improvements that would make it worth changing. Might be worth checking with TyrePal technical dept. on Monday.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We called their technical guy when we were trying to work out what the difference was between the old & new models (other than being solar!) to see if any other improvements that would make it worth changing.
Looks like it display pressure and temperature all at once

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looks like it display pressure and temperature all at once
Good point - didn't spot that & obvious now looking at the photos :doh: Will point that out to Mr Wombles & see if he wants to spend some more money - I've been going a bit Baavet crazy & blown this months budget already:eek: but they were bargains :)
Has anyone changed from the standard to solar versions & do they think it's worth it please?

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I bought the solar version at nec show it has a solar charging panel on top but also comes with a charger if needed. Fitted it and had it running in 10 min worked perfect straight out of box, cannot fault it.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Thanks to Wombles I bought a Solar Tyre pal and it does display both pressure and temp together.Temp display is bit small but fine.
It's one of the best things I bought for a Motorhome. The peace of mind it gives me is tremendous. To'know' what your pressure is just by glancing at the display removes any concern that you may have problem.
Both motorhomes I've had wobble and weave a bit on varying road surfaces and this tells me it's not a flat tyre. Very reassuring, and wouldn't be without it now.Mine came with rubber covers that went on first.

Last edited:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Does each sensor have it's own solar panel or does one feed them all?
Don't the wires from the panel to the wheels get twisted up as you drive along? :D

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
As each sensor has a battery, there are no wires :) It's the monitor that has the solar panel, but you knoew that anyway.

I looked at the 6-wheel version, but a lot more expensive than four wheels. Still a good device though.

With two spare wheels it starts to add up.

Peter

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the original version and its very good. When I saw the solar version I assumed the wheel transmitters were solar powered as I am already on my second set of batteries. Disappointed to find it's just the receiver that's solar as that only needs an hour or two charge once a month so the solar advantage is not great.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
I've just bought the solar version, it came with dustcovers and the tools to fit them - haven't had a chance to fit them yet, so can't advise on that.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have the original version and its very good. When I saw the solar version I assumed the wheel transmitters were solar powered as I am already on my second set of batteries. Disappointed to find it's just the receiver that's solar as that only needs an hour or two charge once a month so the solar advantage is not great.

Like you said....... wouldn't be without the system :)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I think the dust covers are the little black rubber sleeves that go on the valve stems first, then stretch up & over the base of the transmitter, covering the locknut.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As each sensor has a battery, there are no wires :) It's the monitor that has the solar panel, but you knoew that anyway.

I looked at the 6-wheel version, but a lot more expensive than four wheels. Still a good device though.

With two spare wheels it starts to add up.

Peter
I just fitted them to the rear four
Hopefully I would feel if one of the fronts started going down but on the rear ( tag ) I found out the hard way that even with one virtually flat I could not detect any difference !

OP
OP
FJmike

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
As wombels suggested I emailed Tyrepal and a set of dust shield's are on their way. I am extremely impressed with their prompt and efficient handling of my complaint.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As wombels suggested I emailed Tyrepal and a set of dust shield's are on their way. I am extremely impressed with their prompt and efficient handling of my complaint.
Good to hear you got it sorted :)

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
Jumping in here too. I have just received my unit. Do you havr to ensure the tyres are at the correct pressure prior to fitting? Does it then pick up the settings for the over and under inflation? At present the settings are at 17 psi on the unfitted unit!

Thanks.....probably me being dim!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Jumping in here too. I have just received my unit. Do you havr to ensure the tyres are at the correct pressure prior to fitting? Does it then pick up the settings for the over and under inflation? At present the settings are at 17 psi on the unfitted unit!

Thanks.....probably me being dim!
Bit odd that it is already reading 17 psi - probably best to give TyrePal a call as their tech. helpline is very good.

Last edited:

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Tyre pressures need to be at the correct pressure prior to fitting the sensors. The display will then show the tyre pressures usually after a couple of rotations. The display then needs to be set with the high and low pressures as it will give an annoying alarm if you leave the settings at 17psi. For example I run at 80 psi in the rear and 75 psi in the front. the low pressure alarm is set for 5 psi under and the maximum psi is set at 15 psi over. The tyres on average will rise in pressure by around 10 psi when warm which is normal. I cant remember off the top of my head what I set the temp alarms for but can find out for you next time I am up at our MoHo.

IMG_0416.jpg

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Anyone know how long the batteries last in the sensors? My rear off side took about five minutes of being back on the Autoroute before it registered, started thinking there may have being a problem.
As I previously said this is one of, if not the best thing I've added.
Having a wider track on the rear due to the Alko chassis a bit of weaving can appear like a low tyre pressure.
Very reassuring to just have a glance and know alls well.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
For me, less than a year!! N/S/R low battery icon has appeared and started flashing along with the alarm after about 5000mls. Got four new batteries to replace all of the sensors which I will do this weekend.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Anyone know how long the batteries last in the sensors? .........
Driving my MH home last night the TyrePal unit started bleeping and flashing a symbol that I did not recognise. Pressures and temperatures seemed fine so I carried on and looked at the manual when I got home. It was for low battery in the Front Offside sensor.

I bought and fitted the unit in November 2014, and have covered 10,000 miles since then. However, as they are switched on by movement, their life could vary. Ordered 4x batteries today - CR1632.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I keep mine plugged in to the 12v when driving I assume the batteries charge up . Had the kit a couple of years never had problem with the batteries .Just removed them ready for new tyres getting fitted tomorrow .Dare not say how long the excellent looking tyres I am removing have being on my 2008 van lol.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
The sensor batteries are CR1225. Just check the expirey dates on the battery packs prior to purchase as ebay is selling a lot with an expiry date of 2017/18.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Anyone know how long the batteries last in the sensors? My rear off side took about five minutes of being back on the Autoroute before it registered, started thinking there may have being a problem.
As I previously said this is one of, if not the best thing I've added.
Having a wider track on the rear due to the Alko chassis a bit of weaving can appear like a low tyre pressure.
Very reassuring to just have a glance and know alls well.

We bought our sensors at the NEC show before we got our motorhome and got the some of the following info

The batteries last around a year according to my tyre fitter ( we had a leaking valve) so we got constant warnings

The sensors take varying times to respond we found anything from 20 seconds to 4 minutes
always set the over pressure at least 10 PSI above the inflation pressure as always as the tyre temperature rises the pressure will too

I left the min pressure at the default as you do get a sudden deflation warning anyway

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
That's interesting - same size, but different temperature ratings.

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
IĀ“ve got the solar unit and just had a low battery alert on one of the rear sensor come on, just over a year since purchase. The specs online say the batteries last 2 years, but when I contacted Tyrepal about the battery alert, they said that they normally last about 18 months.
The unit works really well, but coming driving back from a cold UK early last September to a heatwave in France, the tyre pressures went up by 17 psi and the tyre temperatures reached 42 degrees - at which point we stopped and let some air out of the tyres in case they exploded! :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back