Tyrepal Question (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
just getting used to tyrepal and I have a question around the temperature setting which advises that 70 should be fine in most situations. On my van a couple of the tyres seem to run hotter than this and the others are close to this.I was wondering because it's a motorhome whether the temperature should be set higher as the instructions don't distinguish between cars and vans.
Thanks Rich

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Mine are set at the standard default 70 degrees, and I've only had the alarm go off once for overheating - and that was a few weeks ago, coming down the Glossgrockner high alpine road in Austria, descending from over 8,000'. It was the front (UK) nearside. We stopped for a short break, reset the alarm and no further problem. We've had out TyrePal kit for about 5 years, firstly on a previous van and changed to our current one a year ago.

I like the kit, although I have to put my reading glasses on to see the tyre pressures. ;)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have used Tyrepal for a few years now and very happy but we have also noticed that the pressures do rise quite a bit. In fact I've had to reset the pressure sensor a little higher because it kept going off, which I put down to using winter tyres all year round. Up to now there doesn't seem to be any problem, but if the alarm goes off I tend to do something about it; usually slowing down helps but we've been known to take a break to give the tyres chance to cool down.

As regards temperature mine never gets anywhere near 70 - saw it go to 38 once but the alarm didn't go off, we'd just noticed the pressure risisng. Are you sure you don't mean pressure? You usually have to press a button to check temperature.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I would be very concerned if mine got to those sort of temperatures. I've only ever seen them in the teens and twenties, though I know they will be higher when we travel in higher temperatures. Low pressures cause high temperatures due to the constant flexing of the side walls, the lower the pressure, the more flex from loaded at the bottom to resting at the top of the tyre. This is what causes a blow out.
I would be nervous if I saw anything higher than the forties.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I noticed the temperature fluctuations with different tyre pressures. I ran our van with the recommended 5 and 5.5 bar pressures and temps were fine.
Some people were recommending adjusting pressures or had "expert" advice from tyre companies and colleagues, most of which resulted in lowering pressures to give a more comfortable ride. I tried this and was alarmed at the increases in temperature.
Experiment by all means, but try the recommended pressures first, you may see much lower temperature changes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back