Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Just thinking of changing two tyres, do I still need steel valves these days or has this changed now?

Kwik fit quote a std valve in their prices, should I be asking for a steel one?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I would always fit a steal valve I had to replace all of my rubber ones after a year they were all leaking.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Kwik fit do not fit metal valves there is quite a few that do not fit them not sure why.I had my new tyres fitted by Kwik fit. We examined my metal valves as they removed the tyres and they were all in good condition so i kept them and asked them just to replace the valve inners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Unless you need over 65psi you should be ok with standard valves.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
They could not supply a high pressure valve when I had spare made up so I sourced my own and they fitted that. If you already have the steel valves on your wheels tell them to leave them in place. You could have new cores if you wanted. The reason valves are changed is that the rubber ones deteriorate.
I would definitely ensure high pressure valves are any large vehicle tyre, don't forget the pressure goes up considerably when in use.
Don't forget, like I did, get the charge for the valve knocked off and make sure you order on line not in the shop, it's much cheaper.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I always fit screw down metal valves, as supplied from new on both MH's that I've had (though not from new!) because potholes produce sudden momentary pressure rises which can pop ordinary valves. I also have nitrogen in my tyres now, which further reduces leakage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back