Tyre valves (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Now I have been driving for over 50 years (yes I know its hard to believe, with my boyish good looks and natural charm) in this half century I have suffered a few punctured tyres generally not an issue just a slow leak easily sorted.
In the past year I have suffered valve failure on a couple of wheels on my car. Jaguar XF. One leaked and another failed when I gave it a tweak, the valve stem failed and the air just escaped. The valves were less than two years old.
Today when sorting the van after a trip, I noticed a soft tyre on the rear twins. I tried to inflate but lo it was the valve stem leaking. Luckily with twin rear wheels i simply inflated the inner to a higher pressure and carefully drove to a local tyre fitter. They changed the valve and all was ok. Before using the van again I will have the other five valves changed.
Now what's going on with valve quality, the tyre guy said yes it does happen he didn't know why.
So my suggestion is that you give your tyre valve stems a regular wriggle and have them changed every couple of years.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
idealy change to brass or metal valves . mind my trailer as rubber valves and yes change them when having a new tyre . but if inbetween that if moving the valve causes a leak i just change the valve . luckily i was a tyre fitter so its easy. protecting the valves from sunlight with wheel trims helps . often think should i change to metal valves but keep a stock of rubber ones and it would be a shame not to use them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Had a rubber valve stem perish on our caravan, it was only two years old so has put me off rubber valves to the point that I had all ours on the motorhome changed to metal valves and took the chance to get the wheels powder coated at the same time.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
do tyre fitters not change these with new tyres?

never really thought about it but I guess a dodgy fitter could easily reuse the old ones

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a number of valves leak on the motorhome, they seemed very poor quality so replaced them with metal ones, no problem since then.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most will but some customers dont want you to change them.
after all the customer is always right.
hee hee .
mind i worked in the tyre trade in 76 77 still have several valves to use up , they do last a long time .

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Very strange that this topic should raise its head now, on my Alphard I've got the tpms system installed and the rear offside was showing low, so I thought I'd pop into the local garage and give the tyre some air, when I undone the tpms cap air came gushing out, knackered valve core

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Apparently dog piss doesn't help the rubber valve stem so it might be worth washing them regularly if your van attracts 'leg-lifters'.

OP
OP
Zains Pops
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
The one theory put forward by today's tyre fitter was that the gunk used by car wash guys to shine up the tyres after a wash, can degrade the valve stems. However my MH has never been near one of those places, whilst the Jag has once or twice. Maybe alloy wheel cleaner may also cause problems.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Question relating to this subject.
Is there a way to filter out stuff on Ebay when looking for an item such as 'Metal Tyre valves'
Put that into Fleabay and you get ridiculous amount of valve dustcaps. Any way to cut to the valves themselves?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is there a way to filter out stuff on Ebay when looking for an item such as 'Metal Tyre valves'
Put that into Fleabay and you get ridiculous amount of valve dustcaps. Any way to cut to the valves themselves?
High pressure tyre valves.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or try this google .http://www.tyre-rite.co.uk/ ..tyre rite are very good . i used to buy off them when they first started years ago . i was running my own garage at the time . still have lots of their stuff here . give them a call or go to them . only down the road for you and me .

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I also had loads of problems with leaking valves changed them all to metal ones no problems so far in 2 years . I would never use rubber valves again

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Apparently dog piss doesn't help the rubber valve stem so it might be worth washing them regularly if your van attracts 'leg-lifters'.
I know Dog Piss acts like paint stripper on those plastic chrome effect trims
I know
My Dog:Eeek:
My Trims :doh:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I also think that pressure washers should not be used near the valve stems they are a bit of a weapon in the wrong hands.:confused:

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I had similar problems with the wash station, whatever they put on the wheels to make like new is very good FOR THE WHEELS but not for the tyre valves, I had a tpms system on the Alphard, when it came to pumping up the tyres, couldn't get the bloody tpms sensors of the valves, corroded on, what a job to get them off, shortly I'll be changing to s/s aligator, cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back