tojo

Free Member
Apr 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Hi All
We have a Hymer B 584 with Michelin Camping tyres fitted , i think i must be right on the upper limit regarding weight as when driving the van seems to move about [ a bit jelly like ] What would be a suitable upgrade , am thinking commercial tyres would be the way to go .
Steve .

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Tyres are weight rated. I'd suggest you verify your's have the correct weight rating for the plated max weight of the MH. Weight rating chart here:

Mick

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I change tyres on my B584 I’m thinking of going for Vredestein comtrac all seasons and they have a rating of 116 which is higher than Michelin camper tyres I have at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Hi All
We have a Hymer B 584 with Michelin Camping tyres fitted , i think i must be right on the upper limit regarding weight as when driving the van seems to move about [ a bit jelly like ] What would be a suitable upgrade , am thinking commercial tyres would be the way to go .
Steve .

What pressure do you use?

When I contacted Michelin I was told that camper tyres had to be run at 80psi irrespective of axle load, which I must admit at the time I thought was odd.

Andrew

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Tyres are weight rated. I'd suggest you verify your's have the correct weight rating for the plated max weight of the MH. Weight rating chart here:

Mick

The critical weight is normally the rear axle load. Check the permissible rear axle load on your weight plate, then divide by 2 and use the table as posted.

I've always erred on the safe side by adding 10% to the permissible rear axle load and then using the table.....as recommended by some tyre experts.

White van man commercial tyres generally have a higher load index range. I needed a LI of 118 so therefore used commercial tyres.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi All
Steve .

Personally I don’t think there is anything wrong with Michelin Camping tyres. You may need to experiment with the front and rear pressures to achieve the optimum ride.
I would take look at your front springs if you are experiencing a jelly like ride.
I put upgraded Goldschmitt coil springs on our A Class and it made a tremendous difference to the ride, as well as lifting the nose height a few centimetres making levelling up on site easier.

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Check out Aeon rubber springs in place of the bump stops, easy to fit and relatively cheap to buy.
Made a huge difference to my Hymer which weighs over 4500 kilo's.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Micheliin Campers come in 116 and 118 rating so just go 4 the 118's and your good for the weight. Good for 1320kg I think.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
On our Pilot Galaxy the Michelin designated pressures are marked in the handbook as being front 5.0 bar, rear 5.5 bar.... and thats on camping tyres. Dont know if that helps

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On our Pilot Galaxy the Michelin designated pressures are marked in the handbook as being front 5.0 bar, rear 5.5 bar.... and thats on camping tyres. Dont know if that helps

I use 3.5 bar (50psi) front and 4.8 bar (70psi) rear on a 4250kg chassis based on measured axle weights in touring trim.

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Got 16inch wheels with Michelins and the recomended pressure re the handbook is 80 PSI back and front but I lowered the PSI at the front to 73 and it feels OK to drive even since I had rear air assist fitted recently

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Mmm, food for thought this. The sticker that's on our van out of the factory states 72.5 psi front (5 bar) and 79.7 rear (5.5 bar) and that was based I presume on 3500kg. The van had also been uprated to 3650 kg by the first owner presumably after Pilote/Michelin had stated the pressures.

It's all a bit ambiguous this tyre pressure malarkey which is worrying when it's such a crucial factor for safety reasons.

No doubt the dealer wouldn't have a clue and tell you to run fronts at 28 and rear at 30 psi unless you are running on remoulds :rolleyes:

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
I tried the commercial tyre route on our old van to save a few pennies, can't remember brand, but the driving experience was terrifying! Put them on the week before a trip to Croatia and all the way there and back was like driving on an inflatable slide! Drifting across road was terrible, any camber and the van took off down it like a scolded puppy! Whipped them off for Michelin Camping as soon as I got home. Ride was then perfect. Currently running the same on new van and it has pressures set to alarm at 80 rear and 69 front....I thought this was too high initially, but after 3000 miles around Europe, it is spot on. Road holding perfect, wet (20 miles of torrential rain along mountain roads and switch backs around Ledro) and dry. Ride is slightly harsh on rough roads, but main roads around France, Germany and Switzerland were a dream! Car-like handling.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Have a look at Nexian Roadian CT8's....that's what I'm thinking of going to when the time comes...looks excellent specs and ratings for the buck..

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I tried the commercial tyre route on our old van to save a few pennies, can't remember brand, but the driving experience was terrifying! Put them on the week before a trip to Croatia and all the way there and back was like driving on an inflatable slide! Drifting across road was terrible, any camber and the van took off down it like a scolded puppy! Whipped them off for Michelin Camping as soon as I got home. Ride was then perfect. Currently running the same on new van and it has pressures set to alarm at 80 rear and 69 front....I thought this was too high initially, but after 3000 miles around Europe, it is spot on. Road holding perfect, wet (20 miles of torrential rain along mountain roads and switch backs around Ledro) and dry. Ride is slightly harsh on rough roads, but main roads around France, Germany and Switzerland were a dream! Car-like handling.

But if you don't say what the speed/load rating or ply construction thickness of the Commercials was this is pointless...they have to match or exceed manufacturers specs,,

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
But if you don't say what the speed/load rating or ply construction thickness of the Commercials was this is pointless...they have to match or exceed manufacturers specs,,

Was four years ago, dunno what the tyres were, they were marked as commercial tyres and for me, lesson was learnt. If you are going for high spec commercials, why not just go for the specific camping tyres, either Continental or Michelin? £125'ish a corner, can usually get a deal when buying four and have piece of mind that they are fit for purpose.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I was told, that C-P tyres have stiffer side walls?. Allegedly something to do with the fact that Motorhomes generally spend more time stationary? than your average "white van",and are thereby able to resist deformation due to being in one position, and vaguely think there was also a need to run higher pressures OR they tended to spend more time under high load?.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
I was told, that C-P tyres have stiffer side walls?. Allegedly something to do with the fact that Motorhomes generally spend more time stationary? than your average "white van",and are thereby able to resist deformation due to being in one position

Extract from Which Tyres:-

So what are camping tyres?

These tyres are designed specifically for use on motorhomes, the main difference is that they have tougher sidewalls. This toughness helps in 2 ways, firstly they are more suitable to run at higher pressures that are required for motorhomes, and secondly the rigidity reduces tyre movement and stops the vehicle from swaying around, particularly whilst cornering. There are also subtle differences in the tread compound which gives the tyres improved grip on wet surfaces and some differences in construction that make the tyre more resistant to abrasions & impacts.

Can I use normal van tyres?

Absolutely, it is still legal and safe to use regular van tyres as long as the load rating is high enough to carry the weight of the vehicle. By using a standard van tyre you will of course not benefit from the features detailed above. The main reason people fit standard van tyres is because of the cost implications of fitting motorhome tyres. The camper equivalent tends to be about 15% more which can equate to upwards of £60 a set. Personally I think the cost is justified and worth the additional cost.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
I'd also read that the stiffer side walls benefit a MH due to the usual load distribution which in general is higher in a MH and lower (floor based) in a commercial.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Extract from Which Tyres:-

So what are camping tyres?

These tyres are designed specifically for use on motorhomes, the main difference is that they have tougher sidewalls. This toughness helps in 2 ways, firstly they are more suitable to run at higher pressures that are required for motorhomes, and secondly the rigidity reduces tyre movement and stops the vehicle from swaying around, particularly whilst cornering. There are also subtle differences in the tread compound which gives the tyres improved grip on wet surfaces and some differences in construction that make the tyre more resistant to abrasions & impacts.

Can I use normal van tyres?

Absolutely, it is still legal and safe to use regular van tyres as long as the load rating is high enough to carry the weight of the vehicle. By using a standard van tyre you will of course not benefit from the features detailed above. The main reason people fit standard van tyres is because of the cost implications of fitting motorhome tyres. The camper equivalent tends to be about 15% more which can equate to upwards of £60 a set. Personally I think the cost is justified and worth the additional cost.

Would seem to bear out what I thought?.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Yep its all to do with load ratings and sidewall stiffness...ie the amount of ply in the sidewalls...which is exactly why I was looking at Nexan Roadian CT8's...they have a very high load rating and sidewall construction strength..better than Agilis....the main difference to say Michelin Agilis camper tyres is cost...the Michelins are around £140 a piece.. the Nexens for mine £80...when you are a tag axle and have six to replace that's a huge amount of money difference...

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Isn’t this ‘stiffer sidewalls’ thing all a bit arse about face (excuse the expression). It isn’t the sidewall stiffness that enables the motorhome to sit for long periods, it’s the fact that they are inflated to 80psi that keeps them from splaying at the bottom. The stiff sidewalls just enable higher pressures. This is why Michelin quote 80psi for everything, regardless of weight, reluctantly permitting a reduction to 65 on front in certain circumstances.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
Interesting thread.... I have Agilis tyres fitted from new on a 3500kg A Class. Done over 30k miles and still about 4.5 - 5mm tread remaining. Run them at 80psi and yep the ride is a little hard but not overly. When looking at the tyre I noted that they are 116Q rated (1250 kg per corner which is fine as back axle is rated to 2000 kg so 500kg under tyre load limit )

Something that has not been mentioned here is that the 116 rating is when inflated to 80 psi. I can only assume that the rating will be less if inflated to less that 80psi. I note the many people run their fronts at a lower pressure, given that normally the fronts have less load I assume this is probably OK but I have never seen a chart that states what the load rating is for a tyre when run at less than the recommended pressure.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I run Micheliin Campers 118 rating COLD 60 fronts 70 rears but COLD!!!! Tyrepal shows they go up to 72-75 front 77-85 rear when running normal temperatures. Van's rated at 4500kgs and I'm usually about 250kgs under depending on water and diesel levels. I wouldn't dream of running any other tyre. You should get your insurance company to agree in writing to alternatives!!!

OP
OP
T

tojo

Free Member
Apr 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
What is your Chassis?
Single or twin rear wheels?
GVW?
Current tyre load index?

Might be able to help ?
Hi .
We have a Hymer b584 which is a single wheel .
Steve .

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi .
Steve .

Mines the same model, 2001 and I run tyres at 4.5 bar or 65psi as stated in my manual.
I’ve not noticed any trouble with the Michelin campers.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have used toyo winter tyres for 4 years now max pressure is 70psi but only run at 55 all round 4.5 t 3 axels so 1.5t per axel. Check what the max pressure is on side of tyres

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi .
Steve .

Hi,

I use a higher load Michelin Alpin Tyre.

But we use motorhome all-year, including ski trips.

The original Michelin Camping Tyre were terrible. Poor grip and cracking sidewalls. I understand the new one is much better, but it is not something I would single out for use.

Try looking for a 10 ply tyre with a higher LI

TM

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our Hymer has Michelin Campers, horrible tyres, hard ride high wear rate, low grip.
I dropped the pressures to, 73 rear, 63 front I have full air suspension. Front wheels sometimes tramp even in the dry. 2 years old & 19,000 miles going to need replacing soon nearly worn out will replace with 4 season or winter tyres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back