Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Looking at the front ones it's clear that it's getting to that time again when I need to think about getting some new tyres.
The last set I had were Continental Vanco's.
I put 4 new ones on 23,000 odd miles ago in December 2013
The rear ones have worn better but the front will probably not last for my next winter trip.
Does that mileage sound about right for these tyres?
What kind of mileage do others get on their 3.5 ton fwd vans?
Also are the Continental Vanco tyres the best option or is there a better tyre out there?
tia

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Looking at the front ones it's clear that it's getting to that time again when I need to think about getting some new tyres.
The rear ones have worn better but the front will probably not last for my next winter trip.
Also are the Continental Vanco tyres the best option or is there a better tyre out there?
tia
Hi Mike. The last van we had the front tyres wore a lot quicker than the rear, in fact when we traded it in the rears were actually the original tyre from manufacture (2007), the front had been changed twice as far as I know.
The original tyres were Continental the fronts were changed twice, both Michelin, not by me I may add. When we traded in, the van had done 67900kms. So the fronts were averaging around 22500kms.
I think the continentals wear better than the Michelin and with this new van I will move the tyres from back to front every 12 months and include the spare to get even wear.
HTH.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had the rear tyres swapped with our front ones to get more 'value' out of them, currently done over 25,000 miles on the originals and will shortly be changing the front ones for new, well a very little part-used one and the unused spare, and keep the best one as the spare - although there's still a good amount of tread on the front ones we don't like letting them get too low as you lose grip/get wheel spin and one of them was 'savaged' by the roads in Italy so now has a slow leak! I was looking to buy brand new but found a lightly used Vanco Continental 225/75/R16C M&S 120/121 on Ebay for £50 delivered so that'll do nicely! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I would be looking for Conti Vanco 4 Season tyres. They might be similar to the M&S ones that @Minxy Girl was looking at. The ordinary "summer" Conti Vanco tyres I had in the past did not seem to have much grip when the weather turned to frost and ice.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We are changing to" continental four season 2 " tyres. These have the winter snow flake emblem so are good for those countries that insist on winter tyres in winter.
Intend to leave them on all year. Beware the same tyre without the "2" looks the same but does not have the snowflake emblem.
Re wear, on fiat fwd rear last for ever, fronts about 23000 miles for us, that on michelin agilis camper tyres.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I have got to change our front tyres in the next few weeks, before we venture through France and over the Pyrenees.
Reading the posts above has made me feel a bit better as our 4.5 tonne van has done 33,000 miles from new.
They are the original Michelin tyres and the rears still have lots of tread on them.
I don't dawdle and I also reduced the pressures quite a bit to give a smoother ride so I reckon they have done quite well.
Just got to find a decent deal on more Michelins now........any ideas?

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have got to change our front tyres in the next few weeks, before we venture through France and over the Pyrenees.
Reading the posts above has made me feel a bit better as our 4.5 tonne van has done 33,000 miles from new.
They are the original Michelin tyres and the rears still have lots of tread on them.
I don't dawdle and I also reduced the pressures quite a bit to give a smoother ride so I reckon they have done quite well.

Richard.
What age are your rear tyres?

Deleted User
Bridgestone Duravis March this year 16920 miles, 7mm front, 9mm rear.

Changed to same make July because of age related cracks at 21,200 miles, forgot to check tread depth on new ones but after 4500 miles front 9.5 rear about 9.75.

Just checked service sheet which was just before tyres changed.....after swapping front to back:doh::doh:

20000miles front 8.5 rear 7

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We had the rear tyres swapped with our front ones to get more 'value' out of them
eo

I would also swop the front to rear if there is no signs of cracking on the side walls.
I just changed mine after over 5 year from Vanco to Michelin at 37000 miles and there was still no cracking.
They had some part worns fitted on the fronts at 10,000 and I swapped them F/B this April, so they have lasted me almost another season.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The van is only 32 months old but we've covered over 33k miles so far. :D
Friends and neighbours think we are a pair of gypsies.

Richard.
We've had our current PVC since May 2015 when we bought it new (30 months) and have over 25k miles on it so you're not the only one who makes good use of it although our use tends to be in 6-7 week holiday chunks twice a year! :D

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just replaced our Michelin Agillis which have covered 24000 miles. They still had about 8000 miles left but all cracked very badly. Not be buying Michelin again.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Mike, knowing you often troll down to Spain in the winter it might be worth considering some of the new 4 season tyres that have the snowflake/Alpine marking, also makes them legal in countries that requirer winter tyres. Such as the Conti Vanco FourSeason 2.

Edit: That particular tyre is only avalible for 16" rims I think you have 15".
The Vanco Fourseason has the winter snowflake but not the Alpine marking.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes

Richard.
Kwik fit, on line ordered, £109 fitted for 215/70 15 Agilis Camper.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Kwik fit, on line ordered, £109 fitted for 215/70 15 Agilis.
Best price I found in a very quick on-line search was Kwik Fit so I dropped in to a local branch while passing.
Asked them if they fitted steel valves rather than rubber ones as there had been questions asked on here.
Despite the high pressures involves, 80psi +, they only fit rubber valves and don't stock and can't get (can't be bothered to get??) the steel valves.
I know some others have said that steel valves are not essential but with a 4.5T van I'm not willing to take the risks just to save a couple of bob.

Richard.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are looking to change our tyres soon.

We have had the motorhome for two and a half years covering over 24,000 miles in that time.

The front tyres are still legal but we will change them after our trip next weekend, in time for winter. The rears are less worn and will be changed next February prior to a three month trip.

Front tyres provide the driving force, (on most m/h) steering input and most of the braking, while the rear tyres just roll. It's not surprising that they wear out more quickly.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Best price I found in a very quick on-line search was Kwik Fit so I dropped in to a local branch while passing.
Asked them if they fitted steel valves rather than rubber ones as there had been questions asked on here.
Despite the high pressures involves, 80psi +, they only fit rubber valves and don't stock and can't get (can't be bothered to get??) the steel valves.
I know some others have said that steel valves are not essential but with a 4.5T van I'm not willing to take the risks just to save a couple of bob.

Richard.
I had an Agilis fitted to a bare wheel for a spare and had the same issue. I supplied my own metal valve. The online price includes tyre disposal and valve so I emailed customer services that I had no tyre to dispose of and supplied my own valve, they agreed to refund the difference. Making Kwikfit even more of a bargain price.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I had an Agilis fitted to a bare wheel for a spare and had the same issue. I supplied my own metal valve. The online price includes tyre disposal and valve so I emailed customer services that I had no tyre to dispose of and supplied my own valve, they agreed to refund the difference. Making Kwikfit even more of a bargain price.
Can I ask where you got the valve and are there different sizes/types?

Richard.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
On ebay search for " bolt in tyre valve bbs"
I restricted my search to uk.
This should bring up a selection of metal valves , occasionally they mention max 80 psi,
Rim valve hole on fiat ducao is aporox 11.5 mm, i used overall length of 42mm on my 16 " rims .

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Can I ask where you got the valve and are there different sizes/types?

Richard.
Thought you might ask that, I got them off eBay but our purchase history won't go back far enough, only about March time, and I can't find the receipt.
I do remember being very careful about who I got them from though, 100% only.
If I find the receipt I'll put it on.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 55

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thought you might ask that, I got them off eBay but our purchase history won't go back far enough, only about March time, and I can't find the receipt.
I do remember being very careful about who I got them from though, 100% only.
If I find the receipt I'll put it on.
If you look back at your Ebay feedback, assuming you received it from the seller, you should be able to find their name.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
tia
I too have the Continental Camper tyres on a 3.5 T motorhome. I changed my front ones end of 2015 with around 35, 000 miles on and still in good nick but with some tread wear and changed the other 3 4 days ago as they were 6.1/2 years old and two of them had done 45,000 miles and they looked very good with minimal tread wear. I got 3 tyres, fitted (all 5 tyres were rotated) and balanced for £330.00 at Formula one.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Richard.

What size Richard? @Clarky

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I too have the Continental Camper tyres on a 3.5 T motorhome. I changed my front ones end of 2015 with around 35, 000 miles on and still in good nick but with some tread wear and changed the other 3 4 days ago as they were 6.1/2 years old and two of them had done 45,000 miles and they looked very good with minimal tread wear. I got 3 tyres, fitted (all 5 tyres were rotated) and balanced for £330.00 at Formula one.
You might want to check what is happening with the 3 tyres you've just replaced as I suspect if they still have a lot of tread on they'll be sold to an unsuspecting customer despite you paying for 'disposal'!

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I put Kumho winter tyres on mine before we went to morocco they have done 10k miles since Jan this year and the front are down to 7 mm from the original 13 mm the rear are 9 mm so i have moved front to back .

They are Kumho winter portran cw15 225 / 75 / 16 / 121 R and cost £85 each , they are now around £95 ,

They are excellent in Snow and Mud , equally as quiet as the Conti vango winter we had on the Fendt but with more feel and grip .

I run with Nitrogen in them instead of air and at 5.5 bar 75 psi approx

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre/kumho-winter-portran-cw51

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back