Tyre temperatures (1 Viewer)

Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
I suppose this question is more directed to those of you who have TyrePal. We are travelling south through Spain and our Concorde is fully loaded up to its limit of 6 tons (checked at weighbridge). As we go south I've noticed the offside rear tyres increase in temperature up to 39° & 85psi inner and 29° & 80psi outer. The nearside inner and outer rears are running at around 78° & 77° respectively at 32°. The euroliner trims are warmish but you can hold your hand on. Although we checked rear axle weight obviously the o/s could be overloaded but we have tried to distribute load. All the tyres are newish and discs and pads changed this summer.Should I worry or do you guys think it's within tolerance .
Today we'll be at Deltebre if anybodies passing.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I suppose this question is more directed to those of you who have TyrePal. We are travelling south through Spain and our Concorde is fully loaded up to its limit of 6 tons (checked at weighbridge). As we go south I've noticed the offside rear tyres increase in temperature up to 39° & 85psi inner and 29° & 80psi outer. The nearside inner and outer rears are running at around 78° & 77° respectively at 32°. The euroliner trims are warmish but you can hold your hand on. Although we checked rear axle weight obviously the o/s could be overloaded but we have tried to distribute load. All the tyres are newish and discs and pads changed this summer.Should I worry or do you guys think it's within tolerance .
Today we'll be at Deltebre if anybodies passing.
When I looked a Nigel Mansells Concorde for sale I commented that's a lot of bus on small tyres, so not surprised they are getting a bit warm!! Obviously as you know it looks like loading is very critical, but my take is your tyres are going to get warm no matter what.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Is the sun shining on one side of the van (tyres) rather than the other?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
according to my tyre pressure monitor, the tyres on my BMW 335xd were at 55c when returning from the alps this summer - the ambient air temp was 35c and i had done a 6hr autoroute run at 130kph :eek:

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
My last van was a VW LT which also had Euro liners. In the Alps I had quite a lot of problem with breaks overheating until I took the Euro liners off.
On the Fiat I have factory fit wheel trims and never have a problem with breaks overheating. I generally find that the tyre pressure goes from 5.5 bar cold to 6 bar running. I have tyre pal but I must admit I never look at the temperatures. If the pressures are okay then the temperatures should be too. I always do a walk round and check tyre temperatures by hand.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We had a similar occurrence in France recently, we had come down a long descent not long before stopping and the TyrePal started alarming soon after (for the temperature). I believe ours was also the rear (UK) offside, but we haven't had any problems with it happening since.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When I looked a Nigel Mansells Concorde for sale I commented that's a lot of bus on small tyres, so not surprised they are getting a bit warm!! Obviously as you know it looks like loading is very critical, but my take is your tyres are going to get warm no matter what.
But that's running on a truck chassis the OP will be on Iveco or possibly Merc but van chassis whatever.

Martin

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
POST DELETED

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Try using Nitrogen . it doesn't warm up as much so the pressure stays more constant ,
I have it in the Motorcycle , car and motorhome ,

AND before a get a load of sarky comments ... it works for me ,,

I get by on 78% Nitrogen, it's cheaper.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Andysconcorde i would think that was within range, I usually see about 10 psi above set point, I don't see much temperature rise but my sensors are flow through/inline type sitting behind the wheel trim so possibly not as sensitive as yours,the inner will see more heat from the discs though.

Martin

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Could the position of the exhaust pipe be affecting the temperatures ?

OP
OP
Andysprinter
Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks again guys. I don't think it's a braking issue unless I've got a sticky calliper because the temperature is constant and not due to descending hills etc. I'm sort of thinking of a loading issue ie bearings or tyres. The tyres are Goodyear Cargo's G26 that are rated at a ton each when paired. I'd like to think the brakes are ok having been serviced but then .......
Andy

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks , actually BwB its the shady side thats running hotter!

Andy
Ahh, yes. Probably to do with the little understood third law of thermodynamics in a rotating body...

No? Ok, I'll get me coat. :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our TyrePal monitor periodically shows a rogue warning (or an unexpected reading) for no apparent reason. Appear to work perfectly 95% of the time, then suddenly one wheel shows too hot or cold, or no reading at all. It may be the sensor batteries require changing in our case.

Like the system a lot, but startled me first time I got an anomoly.

And certainly the indicated temperatures go much higher than I expected on a fast motorway run, but that doesn't of itself answer your query.

Hope you have a safe and event-free journey.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
As long as the tyre is not so hot that you can't keep your hand on it and the pressure increase is around 10c I would not let it bother me but would keep an eye on it. In the UK I find that the nearside pressure is always a degree or two higher than the offside and put this down to the unevenness of the road, more potholes closer to the kerb resulting in more kinetic shock to the nearside tyres.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I find that the pressures increase by around 10 psi by the time the tyres are fully warmed up, and it tends to be even, side to side. Temperatures however tend to be a bit fickle and I've seen first one side increase/decrease then later it's the other way round for no apparent reason - but as long as they stay within the recommended limits, as set up by TyrePal, I don't worry about it. On the occasion when it DOES seem to be getting a bit high I ask TOH to keep an eye on the pressures, watching for any decrease which would indicate a problem.

As regards intermittent erroneous readings, it's a battery needs replacing. Other than that mine have been reliable and keep me worry-free. But I never used to worry before I got them............!

OP
OP
Andysprinter
Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Dear Andy

Thank you for your email,

Pressures are recommended and advised by the vehicle manufacturer rather than the tyre manufacturer.

When vehicle manufacturers calculate the pressures to use they advise cold pressures and take into account climatic conditions they may encounter.

We would recommend following their recommendations.

Regards

David Mullin
Technical Customer Support & Service

Was that helpful!!! Stick to Michelin!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Doesn't look helpful to me but I don't know what the question was.

What load rating are the tyres.

Martin

OP
OP
Andysprinter
Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Martin,

I asked Goodyear their opinion about tyre temperature and pressure regarding safety. In the past I've had Michelin's and their tech people give you cold pressures for axle loading.
The load rating when used in a pair is 1 ton each. The Concorde is plated at 4360kgs but with these tyres that's reduced to 4 tons which is about how we are loaded. Don't normally have this much with us but that's a different story!
I emailed Goodyear back and said as the rear tyres are all at 70psi cold then all must be well and I'll ignore the screeching TyrePal alarm

Andy

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You can adjust your temp alarm for a higher reading at least it will stop alarming you!;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As Speve says you could lift the upper temperature limit, the pressures don't look too bad so just watch it for a couple of days and make sure nothing is getting too hot.

Next time you change tyres it would be worth going for a higher load rating if possible as it looks as though yours are a bit light for the axle.

Martin

OP
OP
Andysprinter
Mar 19, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Martin,

That's pretty much the conclusion I'd come to. Can't believe how unhelpful Goodyear were on a safety issue though,

Andy

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I get by on 78% Nitrogen, it's cheaper.
If you fill your tyre with nitrogen the rate of expansion is pretty much the same anyway (y)

However, 96% nitrogen contains less moisture and contaminants than compressed air. So I would imagine you'd have to suck out all the air in your tyres first to avoid contamination :whistle:

Shame about the contaminants in the tyre itself eh? Because tyres give out CO2 o_O

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I read on a tyre website that it's desirable to keep within 90% of the load index.

I recently reshod the van and took the maximum permitted axle load, divided by 2 and added 11% to determine the load index required. This for 2 wheel axle (not twin).

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
according to my tyre pressure monitor, the tyres on my BMW 335xd were at 55c when returning from the alps this summer - the ambient air temp was 35c and i had done a 6hr autoroute run at 130kph :eek:
BMW ,130KPH???? Brakes stuck on????
Cheers, Dave(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interestingly, I recently fitted a set of tyrepal sensors (Solar4), First time out The temperature of the NSF went over and screamed at me!. The issue was a sticking calliper, 5min with a lump hammer cured that!. Let is cool to below set temp and continued had no further issues that weekend. I subsequently Serviced both front brakes.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back