OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I'm not keen on taking a risk on wheather my insurance company ( Comfort) will pay out in the event of a crash if I don't have the correct spec tyres on. If I smack into the back of someone else cos I couldn't stop, for example, I don't want them turning to me and saying " sorry old boy, wrong spec tyres, if you had camper tyres on you'd have stopped. Bye"!
My choice, my (extra) money. Peace of mind for me.
Also, do we know what other countries policies are on tyre specs? I don't want to be in Spain or Norway having to find another set of tyres cos the plods have just nicked me!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
@CazPaul I agree totally. I have done what I set out to do and that was find out why the difference in tyres. I suspect but do not know that Michelin would not put out false data ... but maybe you know better. I am not trying to prove you wrong or myself right .... simply assertain the truth and facts behind Motorhome tyres. I have not offered an personal opinion and would love to find that there is no difference but suspect that is not the case.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
@CazPaul I agree totally. I have done what I set out to do and that was find out why the difference in tyres. I suspect but do not know that Michelin would not put out false data ... but maybe you know better. I am not trying to prove you wrong or myself right .... simply assertain the truth and facts behind Motorhome tyres. I have not offered an personal opinion and would love to find that there is no difference but suspect that is not the case.

Hey I,m not trying to do that either, best wishes to you, I am just giving my opinion. Another member posted recently that compared to conti 4 seasons 120 load tyres the camper tyres are like dinky toy tyres.
Everybody makes their choice, I have just bought x6 Toyo H09 winter tyres costing just over £400, that's £700 cheaper than @A S Richards has just paid for his 6. I am not knocking anyone just trying to give information based on experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
They dont have "camper tyres" for RVs and they sit about and are same sort of load regime as moHo and they use truck tyres same as van tyres for loaded usage ratio. ?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting thread - links here to EU Tyre labelling for Agilis & Agilis Camping

Very similar Economy, Grip & Noise rating - load ratings similar as well

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-agilis-plus

This is just for information as I have a very low weight, even when fully loaded, MoHo, so General Eurovan A/S 365's for me at £100 a corner - fitted

Last edited:
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Can anyone recommend a Four seasons tyre? I'm looking for something that has the three star snow flak symbol which Michelin Agilis Camper don't have. They only have a M & S rating which doesn't mean a lot.
I was looking at Nokian Weatherproof 215 x 70 x 15. or Verdestine Contract x 2 All seasons. They are van tyres. Has anyone had any experience of either.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Can anyone recommend a Four seasons tyre? I'm looking for something that has the three star snow flak symbol which Michelin Agilis Camper don't have.

Continental VanContact 4Season (C for economy, A for Grip, 73Db)

Vredestein Comtrac2 All Season (C for economy, B for Grip, 71Db)

Nankang all season Van (E for economy, B for Grip, 70Db)

General Eurovan a/s 365 (C for economy, A for Grip, 73Db)

EU Tyre ratings are for 215/70/15 (may be different for different sizes)

Are the ones I have come across.....no experience of any - yet!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Can anyone recommend a Four seasons tyre? I'm looking for something that has the three star snow flak symbol which Michelin Agilis Camper don't have. They only have a M & S rating which doesn't mean a lot.
I was looking at Nokian Weatherproof 215 x 70 x 15. or Verdestine Contract x 2 All seasons. They are van tyres. Has anyone had any experience of either.
Just fitted these in 225/70 15 for £115 each, seam very good so far but too early for a long term report.
https://blobs.continental-tires.com...999d02db4624d/vancontact-4season-pfb-data.pdf

D

DL42846

Deleted User
This is an inteesting reply I had back from a company called Allopneus tyres here in France. They are an internet company selling tyres.
I sent them an email asking for some advice about the Nokian Weatherproof tyres which are van tyres and asked if they wouold be suitable for my Motor Home.
This is the reply I got back:

Hello Mr Wills

After your return, I inform you that the Nokian tire is not for campers.

All vehicles in circulation from 2003 must be fitted with tires with special marking CP camper.

You will find below the Michelin model that has marking M + S:

Broken Link Removed

I invite you to check the load index and speed if they match before ordering.

We remain at your disposal to answer all your questions.

Cordially.

Delphine B.

Commercial Service

commercial.entreprise@allopneus.com

Tel: 08 11 14 00 88

Fax: 04 42 96 23 90

Allopneus SAS

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Well that is interesting! So I'm guessing that any GB motorhomes going to France with van tyres on will be breaking the French traffic laws? Could be expensive if caught cos I'm guessing they'd make you change them along with a fine. They like fines over there!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i need to change my 4 rear tyres soon and when i do, i will keep one of the old campers and cut a slice out of it to photograph the construction

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
i need to change my 4 rear tyres soon and when i do, i will keep one of the old campers and cut a slice out of it to photograph the construction
Aah, yebbut do you have a normal van one to compare it to?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I can't give a definitive opinion on any of the preceding posts or any of the info in quoted links. I do fall back on knowledge gained from my original training with Dunlop U K Tyre Group, time with Goodyear Tyres and too many years in the motor trade. I can find nothing that legislates in France for compulsory fitting of C P marked tyres, and even if there is, then provided the vehicle is legal in its home country surely it is legal in other signatories of Vienna Convention. The comment about number of plies in the sidewall baffles me, i honestly believe them to be identical whether van or camper. If you have any doubts about insurance speak to them. I stick to Agilis Camper because thats what it came with but i dont think i would have reservations about non C P markings.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Well that is interesting! So I'm guessing that any GB motorhomes going to France with van tyres on will be breaking the French traffic laws? Could be expensive if caught cos I'm guessing they'd make you change them along with a fine. They like fines over there!

This was a quote from FaceBook Motor home & Camper where I also posted the same article.
" I have hear of people been taken to a tyre shop by the french police to have all four tyres changed to CP"

Which must also mean that if your vehicle is not legal it might invalidate your insurance.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Probably van tyres are OK on a mh if you stay in the UK or risk a rather large fine here in France. But, there again, I am sure there are those who would want to argue with an armed Gendarme in Franglais ... but shout to ensure the Gendarme comprehends.

p.s. @Mikescuba ... but they would say that wouldn't they, they want to sell you the expensive tyres ;);)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Now, do I fit tyre pressure monitors
Tyrepal give them a call and ask for a discount I have an 8 wheel set to cover van and twin wheel car trailer.(y)(y)
Sorry Black circles didn’t work out they are usually very good.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Do you have to have the wheels re-balanced after fitting Tyrepal or similar?

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Tyrepal give them a call and ask for a discount I have an 8 wheel set to cover van and twin wheel car trailer.(y)(y)
Sorry Black circles didn’t work out they are usually very good.

Already ordered a set of 6 with a signal repeater! (y)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I’m struggling to find Continental Vanco Camping 225/70R15 112. I have found Michelin Agelis Camping that size st a few places but from other threads I believe it is difficult to find the right pressures for those, whereas Continental are helpful in this respect. Does anyone know where I could get the Continentals in this size?

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I’m struggling to find Continental Vanco Camping 225/70R15 112. I have found Michelin Agelis Camping that size st a few places but from other threads I believe it is difficult to find the right pressures for those, whereas Continental are helpful in this respect. Does anyone know where I could get the Continentals in this size?
They don’t do them in that size, I enquired with Continental and they recommended these which so far appear very good.
https://blobs.continental-tires.com...999d02db4624d/vancontact-4season-pfb-data.pdf
And this for the pressures.
http://blobs.continental-tires.com/...998ef8b3/download-technical-databook-data.pdf

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just looked at the Contintal link above re pressures. It looks like their Bible for tyres!

I was particulaly interested in the bit about tyre storage and found this ....

In cases where the tyres will be supporting the vehicle, it is recommended that the vehicle be moved every month to reduce the risk of a 'flat spot'. If the tyres do develop “flat spots,” these will usually disappear in a short period of service.

I had always assumed flatspots were bad news , this suggests they aren't.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Just looked at the Contintal link above re pressures. It looks like their Bible for tyres!

I was particulaly interested in the bit about tyre storage and found this ....

In cases where the tyres will be supporting the vehicle, it is recommended that the vehicle be moved every month to reduce the risk of a 'flat spot'. If the tyres do develop “flat spots,” these will usually disappear in a short period of service.

I had always assumed flatspots were bad news , this suggests they aren't.
I don't qiuqu understand
When I contacted Michelin head office here in France I was told the correct tire pressure was 5 bar/ 70 psi front and 5.5 bar 80 psi rear . I posted a thread on here somewhere. Continent vanco camper also recommend the same pressures.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I don't qiuqu understand

When I contacted Michelin head office here in France I was told the correct tire pressure was 5 bar/ 70 psi front and 5.5 bar 80 psi rear . I posted a thread on here somewhere. Continent vanco camper also recommend the same pressures.
Thanks, @Mikescuba . Are yours the “C” or”CP” version?

D

DL42846

Deleted User

CP version. When I contacted Michelin they also said I could run the front at 4.5 bars if I wanted a softer ride. I did try them at 4.5 bar on the front but I didn't like the feel of the steering. It felt woolly and more effort was needed on the steering. I felt steering joints would wear out quicker so I left them at 5 bar.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I don't qiuqu understand

Sorry .........went off the topic of pressures of Continental Vanco Tyres.

I had always wondered about flat spots being bad news and when I found the bit I copied from the contintal guide that Hetties Crew referenced , I was pleased to see flat spots were not such bad news.
Hope that clarifies.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
CP version. When I contacted Michelin they also said I could run the front at 4.5 bars if I wanted a softer ride. I did try them at 4.5 bar on the front but I didn't like the feel of the steering. It felt woolly and more effort was needed on the steering. I felt steering joints would wear out quicker so I left them at 5 bar.
Thank you. I think I will go for them now I know the pressure

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Thank you. I think I will go for them now I know the pressure
Those pressures are what Michelin say regardless of your motorhomes overall or axle weights. You could be driving a 2.5 ton or a 5 ton, 6 metres or 9 metres, you’ll get the same answer. Which is why I swapped to Continental.

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
They don’t do them in that size, I enquired with Continental and they recommended these which so far appear very good.
And this for the pressures.
http://blobs.continental-tires.com/...998ef8b3/download-technical-databook-data.pdf
Thanks for that. I think that these are an tyres and as such won’t have been designed for long periods of standing under full load. Whilst they may well be suitable I would prefer tyres designed for Motorhomes with the CP Mark. I may be over fussy but don’t want to take he chance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back