Tyre Question Again! (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Which winter tyres brand and tread did you have fitted ?

After a bit of research and checking reviews etc , I had Toyo H09 winter tyres put on on our previous van. In my opinion they were superior to the camper tyres they replaced.We used them all year round as they just did their job on wet grass on sites , aires etc . As well as handling well on general highways.

Our present van came with the camper tyres fitted and they are due a change.....Have been debating on the toyo H09 again or taking a punt on maybe an all season tyre.

Small world tomm, I posted on another thread yesterday, just bought TOYO H09 winters, great grip on mud, snow, wet grass etc. Cracking tyres and a good price for 6.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Continental Vanco Winter 2 - been using them for years all year round at the pressures Conti advised me of once I'd told them the actual axle weights per a weighbridge. Very fair wear rate, quiet, excellent grip especially in the wet and very good on wet grass etc. (the only thing that has ever defeated me was the site I was on turning into a swamp overnight, couldn't even walk on it).

When I bought my alloys I retained a set of bolts for the steel spare.I'll have a rummage to see if I've still got the rest of them.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Continental Vanco Winter 2 - been using them for years all year round at the pressures Conti advised me of once I'd told them the actual axle weights per a weighbridge. Very fair wear rate, quiet, excellent grip especially in the wet and very good on wet grass etc. (the only thing that has ever defeated me was the site I was on turning into a swamp overnight, couldn't even walk on it).

When I bought my alloys I retained a set of bolts for the steel spare.I'll have a rummage to see if I've still got the rest of them.

Yes cracking tyres vanco winter2, we had them on a rear wheel drive Hymer, nothing stops them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Small world tomm, I posted on another thread yesterday, just bought TOYO H09 winters, great grip on mud, snow, wet grass etc. Cracking tyres and a good price for 6.

Small world indeed . We have just returned from a fortnight away . Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Kielder area , Dumfries & Galloway , so some fairly testing conditions given the weather while away . I /we were not particularly impressed with the camping tyres.

On the previous van the Toyos proved themselves time and again for us , sometimes in fairly trying conditions....have been checking around for reasonable cost this time around , as I think we will be fitting them again , soon. So far on searching UK suppliers , averaging around the £90 s fitted for 215/70/15 .

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Well, there's been a very disappointing development! :mad: After sourcing my new tyres through Black Circles, booking my van into a tyre place and paying for them I get a call from Black Circles saying the garage can't do them when I'd booked them in. Can I change days I'm asked? Er nope. I work away all week so Saturday it has to be. She goes away and sources another garage about 15 miles away. Ok, I can do that. That was yesterday.
Today, I get another call from Black Circles saying they can't actually get me the Michelins I'd ordered. :eek: They'll send Continental Vanco's instead. Is that ok? Er nope came my reply again! :mad:
So, Black Circles can get stuffed I'm afraid.
I then rang North Lincs Tyres ( who are a good 2-3 hour drive away ) and asked them. Yep, no problem, we can get them. See you Saturday! (y)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I looked up the tyres I wanted (Continental Vancontact 4Season) on the my tyres website, added the fitting charge, it came to £119, altered it to £115, printed it out and took it to my local tyre fitters (Savoy) and said can you do that?
Got five tyres fitted and balanced for £115 each.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Well the tyres were fitted Saturday. (y)
I can highly recommend North Lincs Tyres! (y)
Cost me £1116 but well worth it. Pressures were set same as the old set but the steering feels a lot lighter. Superb.
Now, while the alloys were off I whipped out my steel spare and got the tyre tech to try the alloy wheel studs to see if they fit on the steel wheel. They do! (y) So I have peace of mind knowing I'm not gonna get stuck somewhere with a spare wheel I can't fit.
Now, do I fit tyre pressure monitors? :D
And if so which ones? I'd need a 6 wheel system and possibly a signal booster? Here we go again. More research. (n)

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Wow, I have never witnessed someone so happy having paid out £1116 for 6 tyres, that's not far off 200 quid each.
I need a lie down.
Michelin Agilis do appear to have rocketed in price in the past few months since we were looking, £174 on ‘mytyres’ in that size, and none on the Quickfit online site.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Seems to be a shortage of the Michelin Agelis at the mo too. Black Circles can't get them. As I found out! :mad: Not in the size I needed anyway. 225/75 16's.
The date stamp on the ones I had fitted Saturday is 11 18. Pretty fresh moulding. (y)
I don't mind paying good money for quality stuff. They are a good tyre. They'll outlast my ownership of the van too! (y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We plan on changing our tyres 2 at a time helps spread the cost. Otherwise it eats in to the pot and you have a motorhome with lovely new tyres and no money to go anywhere

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We plan on changing our tyres 2 at a time helps spread the cost. Otherwise it eats in to the pot and you have a motorhome with lovely new tyres and no money to go anywhere
That was my plan so I got two Michelin Agilis Campers on the front, then I saw the Continental Vanco Fourseasons and thought "they look good" so I got got six:LOL: now I have spare rims and two spare Michelin Agilis Campers:D

Martin

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That was my plan so I got two Michelin Agilis Campers on the front, then I saw the Continental Vanco Fourseasons and thought "they look good" so I got got six:LOL: now I have spare rims and two spare Michelin Agilis Campers:D

Martin
Are they quieter, or more grip on grass or no different ? Not picking holes etc just nosey

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are they quieter, or more grip on grass or no different ? Not picking holes etc just nosey
Well I only ran/run the Michelin on the front so no real comparison, when I first put the Continental Fourseasons on I noticed that the steering was not quite as sharp as with the Michelins but that did not surprise me as they are not as blocky and don't have the sipes that the Conti's have for grip in the snow, likewise I would expect a little more noise but can't say that I have noticed, grip in the snow is certainly good with the Conti's and I have got out of plenty of field that others have not but I put a lot of that down to the IVECO chassis with 4 wheels on the rear axle and a diff lock(y)

Martin

helvic

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
sutton on sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer mtl580
Exp
since 1986
Well the tyres were fitted Saturday. (y)
I can highly recommend North Lincs Tyres! (y)
Cost me £1116 but well worth it. Pressures were set same as the old set but the steering feels a lot lighter. Superb.
Now, while the alloys were off I whipped out my steel spare and got the tyre tech to try the alloy wheel studs to see if they fit on the steel wheel. They do! (y) So I have peace of mind knowing I'm not gonna get stuck somewhere with a spare wheel I can't fit.
Now, do I fit tyre pressure monitors? :D
And if so which ones? I'd need a 6 wheel system and possibly a signal booster? Here we go again. More research. (n)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I'm also having same difficulties tracking down Michelin Agilis Camping in 195/70/15. In fact drawn a complete blank. In 215/70/15 I can track them down. Not sure if it's possible to go from the tyre width of 195 to 215 or not?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I had to get some tyres for the car and the tyre places seemed to be promoting continental of which I got a pair for the front of our car. Then when looking at van tyres continental seems to be at the front again, I guess that there might be large stock of continental tyres about.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm also having same difficulties tracking down Michelin Agilis Camping in 195/70/15. In fact drawn a complete blank. In 215/70/15 I can track them down. Not sure if it's possible to go from the tyre width of 195 to 215 or not?
This may help
Broken Link Removed

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
As promised here is the reply I received from Michelin regards the difference between their van tyres and motorhome tyres.

Good afternoon Philip,

Thank you for contacting Michelin customer care.

Regarding your query, what separates the MICHELIN AgilisCamping from the rest of the Agilis range, is that the AgilisCamping has a reinforced construction, with two casing plies, enabling it to withstand higher pressures. This construction, and the use of higher pressures, means that the tyre can cope with the continual heavy loads which is often case with motor homes. This can in turn help with wear pattern issues, if lower pressures are used particularly on the rear axle.

I hope this was helpful and do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further queries -we are happy to help!

Kind Regards,

Henrik
MICHELIN Customer Care
Passenger Car & Light Truck Tyres
Tel: 0845 366 1590
E-mail: contact@tc.michelin.eu

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm curious ... we use conti 4 seasons 2 ( 121/120 load rating)
They offer better grip on snow ice grass and mud .. are rated well in excess of our axle weight and seem fine on the road
The pressure in them is nowhere near the maximum that they can take .. correct pressures in ours are 45psi front and 62psi rear
They are a van tire so obviously strong enough .
Are camper tires just a con? They appear to offer me nothing that my standard 4 season 2 tyre offers me .. except less grip in adverse conditions?

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
What can I say @sdc77 I asked exactly that question, in a different form, couldn't find a definitive answer asked Michelin and their response is #52 three before yours. Take your choice

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I'm curious ... we use conti 4 seasons 2 ( 121/120 load rating)
They offer better grip on snow ice grass and mud .. are rated well in excess of our axle weight and seem fine on the road
The pressure in them is nowhere near the maximum that they can take .. correct pressures in ours are 45psi front and 62psi rear
They are a van tire so obviously strong enough .
Are camper tires just a con? They appear to offer me nothing that my standard 4 season 2 tyre offers me .. except less grip in adverse conditions?

I have been saying exactly that the whole thread, the specific camping tyres do offer one distinct weight advantage though, much less weight on your wallet so less strain on your legs when walking around. There, I can utter spin as well.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I think there's spin involved , as long as the load rating is same , and speed rating then the tyre construction (casing not tread pattern)
has to be the same. with 15+ years in tyre trade the only tyres I came across that were "special" were Australian Police Pursuit car fitment , and they were selected on a balance conformity basis. They were also Xrayed for any non visible imperfection .

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
I have a preference for data over opinion, even from "experienced" motorhomers, but I still thank you for your opinion. I don't have enough information to call the man from Michelin mistaken or worse so I await your learned replies.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have a preference for data over opinion, even from "experienced" motorhomers, but I still thank you for your opinion. I don't have enough information to call the man from Michelin mistaken or worse so I await your learned replies.

Its not independent data though, its from the people who sell the camper tyres, they have to try justify the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back