Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Does anyone know where I can look for tyre pressures for a swift kon tiki 2011.
The manual it comes with is rubbish and doesn't give any info on tyre pressure.

I've not checked the pressures since we got the MH but are off to France next week so thought I'd run around it.

Front tyres are 40.5psi and 84.0 psi (yes 84 !!!)

Rear tyres are: 38.5, 47.5, 43.5 and 50.0.

One of them must be correct.....

Ta
Steve

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Tyre pressures are really complicated but easy as well??????????

Why did I say that?

Your tyre pressure is dependent on the weight of the vehicle and the tyre, so the vehicle manufacturer will give a range of pressures depending on which tyre and how heavy the vehicle is. The tyre manufacturer will give you a range of pressures suitable for their tyre. Simple!
The hard part is that when converted the coach builder doesn't always tell you what the tyre pressure should be because they don't know how much stuff you are going to put in it.
Good info here Link Removed
Hope that helps
Drew

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
I have a similar problem the Manual does not help. Now keep the pressures the same as the dealer made them at last sevice 60 PSI front and 65PSI rear. Thats for my Bessacar e560 which is probably a bit smaller than your van. May be a good idea to check with your dealer before you go off again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Good question, I have the Kon-Tiki 699 and will be checking mine today before fitting Jim`s wotsits........

I was expecting to find the pressures on one of the cab door pillars (no idea why, must have read it somewhere), but if there, would those be put there by Fiat and relate to a van rather than a MH? No idea.

Will report back later.

Steve

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Just looking in the `Fiat` manual that came with my van. It talks about different sized tyres and whether fitted with `camping` tyres or not.

Most seem to be around 4.0 and 5.0 (whatever that equates to)., front and rear with rear being the highest.

If you have not got the same in your book Steve, let me know what size tyres you have and I will check.

Steve

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
4.0 -5.0 equals BAR pressure or 58 - 73 PSI
:thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Just checked the link I gave earlier and found that the link to the booklet is no longer active. If I can work out how I will scan the booklet and post it on here somewhere.:Eeek:

Pappajohn already did it , check out downloads, Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
This is a minefield.
I've found a few posts on various sites where people say the "best ride" is 55psi front and 62psi rear.
"BUT", on the swift web site I've found a post which says the front should be 80psi and the rear 55 psi - arrrgghhhhhhh.
As one of my front tyres is at 84psi it would appear that swift inflated the tyre to the high pressure at manufacture, and the rear tyres are slightly lower than their recommended 55psi.
More digging to be done, but at the moment looks like the swift pressures are the ones to go with.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Broken Link Removed

Bit old but might be of use?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am reliably informed the max tyre pressures on the side walls are only for the US market and not EU / UK; i have conti camper on my Adria Coral which is fiat x250 and max 3.5T both Fiat and Adria say 5 bar front and 5.5 Bar rear that is way higher than the 69psi on the tyre side wall. hope that helps.. the Coral is similar to the E560 in size and weight

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
Got it sorted.
The tyre pressure are set by Alko and they have the pressures as:
front 5.5 bar (80 psi)
rear 3.8 bar (55 psi)
Fits in with the various pressures I've got at the moment.

Ok, off the the garage...

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
Got it sorted.
front 5.5 bar (80 psi)
rear 3.8 bar (55 psi)

That seems a high pressure for the front tyres!! 80psi!

OP
OP
scek

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
It did to me but I'm working on the idea that one of the front tyres already had 84psi in it, and the other was deflated.
The info is taken from Alko and gives the specifics for a tag axel with the tyres ours has fitted. They are now at the pressure given by alko and I will say that the drive is improved (though I wouldn't have complained about the ride before).
The front tyres have a max inflation of 80psi printed on the wall.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Got it sorted.
front 5.5 bar (80 psi)
rear 3.8 bar (55 psi)

Very pleased to read this post as I've spent the last few days cogitating on the tyre pressures given in the Hobby manual but didn't think to check the Alko booklet (which in my case is written in German anyway!). Hobby were suggesting 5.5 bar front and rear (Michelin Camping tyres) but according to Alko this is for 2-axle not 3-axle vans. I was ok with the 5.5 at the front as camping tyres take higher pressures than normal commercial tyres but 5.5 for the two rear axles seemed way too high. Previous van was also tag axle but with commercial (not camping) tyres and that had pressures set at 4.5 bar front, 3.5 bar rear. Am much happier to go with Alko's 5.5 bar front, 3.8 bar rear as that is more in line with what I expected. :thumb:

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
It sounds like there is a lot of uncertainty around tyre pressure.

I just went with the maximum tyre pressure on the tyre walls which I think was something like 68.

I have tyre pressure monitors on each tyre so I can see what they are in the cab, and I'm always amazed to see how quickly they go up into the 80s once you're on a long journey.

I'd be a little bit worried about having the front ones at 80 before starting the journey as that would probably take them well into the 90s and even above that on a long journey.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
It does sound a bit odd to have far higher tyre pressures on the front than the back but if that is the Alko recommendation go for it.
I had the same dilemma with our van and was advised to email the technical dept of the tyre mfrs, in our case Continental. They came back very quickly and helpfully, asked me to supply details of chassis type and MPTLM and then advised the tyre pressures for fully laden plus a rule of thumb formula reduction for each 100kg less. In my case 52psi front, 79psi rear. I expect all tyre mfrs offer the same service and it would seem likely to be definitive.
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back